Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,931 Posts
Ultracoat/Oracover (same stuff, I even bought a roll of Ultracoat once that had "Oracover" imprinted along the edge of the covering) comes in TWO weights: regular and "lightweight".

The regular is very slightly heavier than Monokote, very slightly less stiff, considerably more split and impact resistant, and much easier to work around compound curves.

The lightweight version is significantly thinner and lighter than regular weight or Monokote, not quite as tough as the regular weight, although not as brittle as Monokote.

Both the regular weight and the lightweight are available in transparent colors.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Way cool PJ3! We have a lot of them around here. When I lived on the water I had a couple of them named and they hung around for a few years. One was Jerry Lee and the other was Elvis. When you walked out on the dock they would come flying in and land next to you and patiently (often impatiently) wait to get fed. Wife and would throw some lines out and catch Croakers and other stuff and feed JL and E for hours. They'd get their wing loading up so high that when they took off skimming the waves for a few hundred feet was all they could do. One time my Mother in law was here and I'd catch a fish, hand it to her and she would in turn feed the guys. I caught a little Croaker, wasn't more than 4" long and handed it to her. She looked at it and threw it back in the water saying that it was to small to feed the guys. Both Herons started screeching their heads off..............literally cussing her out in bird talk. I told her "bad move lady!". After that they wouldn't go near her. Moral of the story: Heron's scrutinize character very closely...............and my MIL was found lacking.

Reminds me of the Great Seagull Riot of 2001. I'll tell it later.
'Minds me of a story Dory is fond of telling.

Back in the days when the Presidio (in San Fransisco) was a very busy place, Dory lived with his parents just across the street, and he would frequently hang out with the soldiers working and bunking within the grounds. One day, there was a woman out walking her dog. Ostentatiously dressed, she had on a big fur coat and fancy clothes, her hair was done up, worthy of the richest snob, and her nose was scraping the fog as she walked her big English Wolfhound. Ahead on the sidewalk there was a large flock of gulls, and without a second glance, she barged through the flock, scattering the birds in every direction. One bird went slow and straight ahead, rose a few feet, and turned around, going straight back towards the woman and her dog. Closer the gull got, and more focused......SPLAT! Bullseye, right down her very expensive fur coat, now ruined.

Knowing gulls, I am pretty sure that (1) It went absolutely everywhere (2) it probably stank worse than the best my hens ever gave me.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old May 06, 2012, 08:44 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,879 Posts
Hi Sean

Thats alright been working with a Video shop making a DVD for my new ' Engineered Art ' sculptures, and put the Primary on hold.

I Sure wan't to start cutting wood but need to get all the info down on paper first, figuring out all these cables and where they go is taking a little more time than i thought it would.

With the crossed flying wires in the wing the cable pulleys have to be just so , so they all clear each other and the little rib sticks too so lots of notes.

At 71' it is good to have a brain tester now and then, keeps you sharp in the head and keep that Alzhiemer stuff away don't need that around here!!!

Thanks again Sean for sending the roll.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old May 06, 2012, 09:10 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,033 Posts
Good one Katie and in line with mine. I shall make another beverage and finish for the evening.

OK, I'm back.

Wife and I had just started dating. She's fresh from Oklahoma and unfamiliar with Salt Life. One Saturday afternoon I'm cleaning the kitchen and throwing out old food in the fridge. She stops by.

Side note here: As Katie can vouch, the ocean is God's garbage disposal. Anything food related or organic can be tossed and recycled. In fact it makes a very thorough and efficient cookware washer too. I would keep a big stainless steel bowl on the counter when cooking and throw all the waste in it. At the end of the night just walk out and throw everything in the water. Kept the Blue crabs close to the baskets and fat.

Anyway, I had generated quite a pile of old pizza, chicken wings and such plus I had this huge, HUGE bag of pre-popped Walmart popcorn that had gone stale. (By the way, their popcorn sucks) One of my best buddies was there too drinking a beer and BSing. Wife/then girlfriend volunteered to take all the foodstuff down to the dock and chunk it. I explicitly stated to drop everything in the water and leave nothing on the dock. She had been warned.

So, off she goes. I continue chores and talking to my bud. For some reason we both happened to look out back to check on her progress. She dumps the bowls over the side but for some crazy reason she opens the bag of popcorn and slings the hell out of it..........straight up into the air.

Before the last kernel lands the dock is solid white. Seagull as far as the eye can see. You can't even see my boat hanging in the lift and sure can't see the better half. Looked like one huge quivering pile of feathers.

Finally the flock moves on. JJ comes running back to the house and she's taken some well placed direct hits. She storms past the two of us. We of course look like this: Momma is NOT happy. She goes back to my room, I hear the shower running and 30 minutes later she emerges, pissed off wearing one of my shirts and has a pile of laundry in her hand.

OK, right here I was going to gently explain why I instructed her to dump EVERYTHING in the water and let not one morsel touch the dock.

However, my good buddy, being the master of subterfuge and comedy decides to have a gentle talk with her. He knows she is the biggest animal lover in the world plus has an extremely soft heart, much more so for dolphins. She watched Flipper as a child and thinks that's normal.

So, he goes on to say:

(Note: The following rice thing is urban legend and BS. Also, my wife is extremely (I mean extremely!) brilliant but takes people at their word. Too trusting IOWS)

"Janene, you've heard how you're not supposed to throw rice at wedding anymore, right?"

"Yes".

"You know that rice swells up in a birds tummy and makes it explode?".

"Yeah, why?"

"Well, popcorn does the same thing".

", Really?"

"Yes honey, it does. That's bad enough but when the seagulls explode their bodies fall into the water, the dolphins eat them, and then...........(dramatic pause).......the dolphins explode.............".

Took about an hour of convincing to get my future wife calmed down ad three years of flowers and Hallmark cards from my best buddy to allow him anywhere within five miles of her. Only after I convinced her that I had to have him around at the flying field did she start to relent.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old May 07, 2012, 03:31 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Good grief!

Oh well, I am guilty of worse setups I suppose, especially with lubbers and those I am not endeared to. Good story expose on the voracity of the gull, vermin godless heathens that they are.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 07, 2012, 05:27 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Gull-a-bull!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old May 07, 2012, 06:10 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Good grief!

Oh well, I am guilty of worse setups I suppose, especially with lubbers and those I am not endeared to. Good story expose on the voracity of the gull, vermin godless heathens that they are.
Flying rats is what we call them.
You doing OK Steve?
Old May 07, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,931 Posts
Quote:
...However, my good buddy, being the master of subterfuge and comedy decides to have a gentle talk with her. He knows she is the biggest animal lover in the world plus has an extremely soft heart, much more so for dolphins....
Seagulls and dolphins...OK, I posted this on another thread a while back, but for those of you who haven't seen it...

There was a man who had some pet dolphins he kept in his swimming pool. He was very fond of them, and knowing that they have a finite lifespan, he wanted to prolong it as long as he could.

He read that if you fed them seagulls, they would live forever. Figured it was worth a try, so the next morning he tossed a cloth sack over his shoulder and headed down to the beach, where he managed to capture a sack full of gulls.

He was about halfway home when he found a lion blocking the path. It just placidly lay there across it. He couldn't go around it, and couldn't get it to move with any amount of pleading, yelling, or even shoving, it just lay there blocking the path.

Finally, in desperation he began climbing over the lion. At that point the Sherriff arrested him.

The charge?

"Transporting gulls across a staid lion for immortal porpoises."
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old May 07, 2012, 09:48 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
I believe it's the same URL but this is what I'm using :

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

They're starting to exercise their flight muscles now. This is going to be fun to watch (again).
Thanks, Tim, this link is working fine!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
522 Posts
How does it compare to Monokote ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrotter View Post
Trans purple from Hobbyking cheap$ and strong..Super easy to iron on.... No I don't work for Hobbyking....Just putting in my 2 cents...Jack T.
Hi, Jack:

Can you tell me how this Hobbyking covering compares to MonoKote ?

I hate working with Monokote, but it seems to be the best at minimizing the occurance of wing flutter on long, semi-fragile wings (especially when we fly faster than we should).

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old May 07, 2012, 06:12 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,033 Posts
I'll pop in here and say that I don't have any personal experience with the HK stuff but several buddies have told me it's great.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,108 Posts
Who's following the antics of the 3 stooges eaglets?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old May 08, 2012, 01:43 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
Hi, Jack:

Can you tell me how this Hobbyking covering compares to MonoKote ?

I hate working with Monokote, but it seems to be the best at minimizing the occurance of wing flutter on long, semi-fragile wings (especially when we fly faster than we should).

Craig
Well, by definition if your wing is fluttering, you're flying too fast.

I have no experience with the HobbyKing stuff yet but I've heard too many good reports on OraCover/UltraCoat to ignore them. I've used UC for trim but I haven't yet covered any flying surfaces with it. I do know it wrapped around the nose of my Sophisticated Lady without issue. At least for me it seems to be less prone to gluing itself together while shrinking around compound corners when compared to Econokote. I still feel that EK is better at compound corners than Monokote but Ultracoat is definitely better than both.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old May 08, 2012, 06:12 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Flying rats is what we call them.
You doing OK Steve?
Mate, I'm doing better than a millionare minor in a state sponsored brothel.

Daz-Baz The Cane Toad (4 min 3 sec)

atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 08, 2012, 07:30 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Mate, I'm doing better than a millionare minor in a state sponsored brothel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6Eurdd1WM

Woo Rah!!!!!!!!!!
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw