Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:51 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Sean

With all the cool E stuff now i would think a big E powered tug would be bullit proof and last a long time.

A Friend was telling me that he is using Power tools batterys now instead of lipo's, so you do not have a chance of fire either.

G Don

Some lines of DeWalt tools use A123 packs that are reportedly cheaper than buying hobby-specific packs. I've heard conflicting information that those DeWalt packs are on the decline in favor of cheaper Li-Ion packs but I can neither confirm nor deny that.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:00 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
Geez, I hope you don't like sauerkraut on your Polish or with your kielbasa. My mom is Japanese but my dad's side of the family is all descendents of German immigrants. I grew up with all sorts of German and various Asian foods around the house. I find it interesting that both sides of the world have various fermented cabbage dishes that are integral parts of the culture. And then there's Vegemite. Never did understand the stuff but I'd give it a try. Never know, I might like it....
Kimchi, sauerkraut, brewskis, yogurt, even Tabasco. Better move over, soy, worchestershire, black bean sauces, you're all rotten, too. How about some cheese? Gimmie me my moldy bleu and smooshy Brie any day. Feeling ill? Well, how about some Penicillin?

Mmm, just yesterday I tried caramel candied mealworms. Yummy!

This is a favorite topic. I can go on, but it's way past bed time. Just this last: I will only draw the line on three things: I will not eat dirt, sand or something clearly unhealthy, nor anything that has to do with the lower digestive or reproductive system, and I have a personal dislike of "slime", mucilage, and mucus. Leave them OUT. Oh, oops, make that four. I won't drink brewskis, sorry. Other than that, unless I know I'm allergic, I'll try nearly anything once.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
No Coconut, or Chocolate Covered Cherries. Chocolate, yes. Cherries, yes. Just not together with that slime in the middle.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,040 Posts
Hi Lac

The A123 is what my friend is using at 1/3 the price of Lipo's, cuts the pack up and makes his own.

No chance of fire either!!!

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Yep, I've gotten rid of almost all of my NiCads and NiMh packs and gone to LiFe4 packs. Much more convenient and faster charging, plus they hold a charge in storage. I'm just lazy that way.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Can LiFe batteries do the same as LiPos? Will they power an e-glider?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,146 Posts
Energy density is not as good as LiPoly's. It wil take about 20% more battery weight to get the same amount of energy storage.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Ahhhh. Too bad.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:29 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
LiPo fires arent an issue if you run a pack that is sized and rated properly for the loads it will experience. If you're constantly pushing a pack over its rated standard limit then yeah, you might get a fire eventually.

As for food... anything goes. Latest concoction was a pizza with the lot plus lamb and sour cream. It was awesome!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jun 2005
4,146 Posts
I've been using Lipos for quite a few years now. In that entire time I've only had one fire, and that was not the battery's fault.

Back when the "venting with flame" discussion started, the recommendation came out to charge them in a fireproof container. One of the big names recommended putting them in the oven (this was before we all started using ammo cans). So, one day I had a little 250 mah 2S pack for one of our Roadkill Series models that I needed to charge, so I put it and the charger in the oven and started the approx. one hour charge cycle.

A while later, I remembered that I needed to bake cookies for the kids' lunches the next day (but forgot that the oven was already occupied), and set the oven at 375 F to pre-heat it.

A few minutes later I heard a faint "PFFFFT !!", and shortly after realized what I had done. The charger was melted, and the battery was just a tiny pile of ashes in the bottom of the oven. Fortunately it was an older charger that did not have proper protections for distinguishing the difference between 2S and 3S, so it needed to be taken out of service anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:23 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
OMGosh, Don. I needed that laugh! The worst oven trick I ever did was preheat it with a pot still in it. The pot's plastic handle sleeve melted and started to smoke, and set off the smoke alarm, which called the alarm company. It was a real fracas.

The ammo can sounds like a really good idea. Maybe we can stop by the local surplus store on the way home today. We're trying to find a route to work that doesn't involve 101 and all the idiots and jack***es contained therein.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jun 2005
4,146 Posts
Standard practice these days is to drill a 3/8" hole in an ammo can, put the charger cord through the hole, with the battery inside and the charger outside.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:54 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Good one Don!

Sorta similar: I had just purchased my first lipos and charger (pretty much a dumb charger compared to nowadays). I thought I was extremely meticulous while setting all of the parameters on the first run. Hit start and went into the house for a snack. For some strange reason I had one of those "standing up hairs" premonitions and went out to the shop to double check everything. I looked at the screen and sure enough I had set it for 5 cells on a 3 cell pack. I touched the pack and it was hot as a firecracker and appeared to be puffing. I grabbed the pack, ran outside thinking "where am I gonna throw this bomb where it won't do major damage?". Remember, this was very early lipo days and all I could imagine was total destruction for a two county area. Anyway, I spotted our brand new, less than 1 week old triple burner outdoor grille, ran to it, threw the pack in and slammed the lid. I had just explained the lipo charging issues to my wife and in fact she had seen those demonstration vidoes where the guy purposely overcharges a pack. She was watching the whole escapade from the back porch and yelled "What about my new BBQ grille?". So I had to run back over, retrieve the pack and throw it into the back yard.........which is kind of interesting when you figure that my property was 10 acres of freshly mowed grass and dirt.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2005
4,146 Posts
Yes, it's funny what a little panic can do to cognitive processes.

It reminds me of that competition they had (I think it was a bunch of engineering students at MIT) to see who could get the coals burning the fastest on a grill. The winner did it in a few milliseconds. They put the fresh charcoal in the grill, along with a lit cigarette as an igniter, then put a bucket on the end of a VERY long pole. They filled the bucket with liquid oxygen, got behind a barrier and poured the LOX onto the coals.

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

The grill was just a flattened-out piece of sheet metal on the ground, but the few coals that remained were definitely lit.
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Apr 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I've only had Lipos for a few years now. I initially purchased two 2500 mAh 3S packs for an electric camera plane I was using, then used them in my Radian (which I destroyed last summer). A few months ago I got rid of one of them because it wouldn't charge anymore. The other is a little puffed, but still charges. I also have two of the recommended 1300 mAh packs for the Radian, which I never use. I don't even recall the last time I charged them. They're sitting inside my transmitter case with my transmitter (Futaba 9C), which also now uses a 900 mAh Lipo. I've never experienced a catostrophic failure. Maybe it's just dumb luck. (I ain't too smart when it comes to electrics - I didn't know until a few months ago that you could time an electric motor!)
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet