Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Guess I'll have to look around for an old photo of me when I was fashionable.

I'd let mine grow back out now that I don't give a and neither does my boss. Though I'm not bald I'm a little "thin" and the in between time before it got long enough to tie back would be a PITA.

Funny that all this came up. I've got one friend that's my age that I haven't seen in years that stopped by last night. He's gone all gray but he's got an impressive ponytail. Another buddy about my age has been letting his grow out for a couple of years now and he's getting a decent length.

Hey, I know................I could get a weave till the natural stuff gets there.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Owl, do the Bug!!!!!

I bought an Elf (40") from KC cause I got lazy and that size is a blast to fly. After flying it a lot my regular DLGs feel all heavy and clunky.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
I've made it to Queen Creek, AZ... It sure is warmer than Amarillo!
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
We had mid 20's the last two nights here in Pcola. Could this be a sign of the end times?

Just about the only winter that we've had.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
When we stopped at the store, in Austin, Sunday afternoon, it was sleeting! Then they were talking on the local news this evening about "Well, there was our one day of winter!" Mid 60s today, supposed to be in the low 70s tomorrow. In FEBRUARY. In NORTH AMERICA!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Yep, they're calling for 70's tomorrow here. On the one hand I ain't complaining. I'm a Florida boy and my usual, and what the old bod is trained for, is 80-105 and high humidity. Problem is that when we don't have a few freezings in winter then the skeeters, gnats, no-see-ums and flies regroup and come out in full force come Spring. My poor dog only weighs 18# and we have bugs around here that can carry his furry butt off.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:03 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Rain, blessed rain here in Sunny NorCal. Oh, but we NEED it! Sunday was blessedly warm and delightful, but winter has gone and left us behind. For all the fuss, it sure was comfey all day. Almost tee-shirt warm.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Owl, do the Bug!!!!!

I bought an Elf (40") from KC cause I got lazy and that size is a blast to fly. After flying it a lot my regular DLGs feel all heavy and clunky.
Well, I don't have a lot of experience flying RC, Sean. (Okay, okay. NONE!) And all the sage advice says to start with something big, stable and floaty, like an Oly II, or at least a 2M to learn on.

BUT... I have a fair amount of experience with freeflight. I'm going to have the same left/right-coming/going problem to train out of no matter what I try to put up first. In that respect, I figure R/E is R/E, whether sub-meter or a 3-meter BoT.

Yet, people seem to be training themselves all the time (yes, I'm aware of the increase in poor results self-training can bring) on sub-meter powered or unpowered ARFs.

lol.. Paralysis through analysis!

Call me Gray-dilocks and nag me juuuussst right, and I'll get the Bug built.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:08 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
The Bug looks so good, really good 2D, flying it must be better. Owl, really there isn't a big jump to RE from FF, you already know all you need to, and then some.

Sharing a pic with you good folks - today I moved into my own upper floor2 bedroom flat in a 6 bedroom house and finally had the chance to spread the wings, on a bench at least. Bench desk cost $10 from a local recycler, scored a nice quite clean couch for $25 also.

It is such a comfort to try and live a normal life again and try and find the time for this wonderful hobby. It's a big day for me!!! Next thing is pulling down some of my gliders from the ceiling of one of our the LHS's, getting Patches to my new home, rigging up a buggy to tow behind my bike, and we are in business, for flying my 5 remaining gliders at least, for a while.

I'm really excited! if things work out ok I could be getting a new woodie!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
Sounds good, Steve! Thumbs up!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:21 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Thanks Owl, I feel like I am taking baby steps again, a big change once more. Scary and exciting at the same time. maybe that's just the female side of the equation effecting me there, I should stop to analyse things...

I am only happy if I am in the company of a good woman, doing aeromodelling stuff, out at sea or coastal cruising, or riding down some highway with huge trucks thundering past me, or not... then I feel at home wherever that may be happening. I am maladjusted by conventional reckonings, the hope is slim.

That puts me in good company here I guess, it ain't unique.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Feb 14, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Owl, I wouldn't stand a chance flying against a FF guy in a glider contest. You guys are scary at reading air. Just do the Bug. Hey if you don't like the RC aspect, pull the radio out, retrim and cat launch it.

Alright Steve!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,019 Posts
Hey Nightowl, do the bug and make two of everything cuz I'd like one too.... ere wait a minute I've got an elf that needs to be tossed. When you getter done we could get together and do a double maiden.... I ain't fer away...

Wylie E, Coyote....
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:18 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Owl, build 3 and I'll drive out there to get it.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Stevers-

It won't be long and you'll be dug in like a tick on a hound . I'm sure it's kinda strange getting settled after your trip but a worldly gent such as yourself always comes through on top. Glad to hear you got a place!

A question to you all about skegs and skids. What affect, if any, do these protusions have on turning? Obviously, if you were to exaggerate and throw 8-10inē out there, you would have a noticeable affect. Just wondering what kind of turning resistence/drag is there on normal stuff.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells