to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
It's a kilt in Europe Al. Here on the redneck Riviera it's a skirt............and pants are britches..........
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,291 Posts
Dory wears a kilt. Kida cute, really.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
It's not just a skirt, it's a man-skirt, and it takes a real man to wear one.. (spent a year in Scotland in my early twenties and am guilty of bringing my man-skirt home with me.

That's it Sean, we are looked upon as old timers for having FM but as you say, almost no-one bothers your frequency anymore. And how much time do they spend worrying over and testing and debating 2.4 Rx setups!! a hell of a lot I can tell you when they could be just out flying like you and I.

But yeah, like you, it's inevitable to cross over but I will do so happily down the track after better 2.4 development and sets are available to us and ever cheaper to boot. yep i'm the kind of bloke that buys last years runout models of things too...

edit; Katie is right, chicks tend to dig them man-skirts. It takes a real man to wear a skirt...
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
- Oh and fly to FM too... skirts and FM and beer, what else goes together better than that?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
It's not just a skirt, it's a man-skirt, and it takes a real man to wear one.. (spent a year in Scotland in my early twenties and am guilty of bringing my man-skirt home with me.

That's it Sean, we are looked upon as old timers for having FM but as you say, almost no-one bothers your frequency anymore. And how much time do they spend worrying over and testing and debating 2.4 Rx setups!! a hell of a lot I can tell you when they could be just out flying like you and I.

But yeah, like you, it's inevitable to cross over but I will do so happily down the track after better 2.4 development and sets are available to us and ever cheaper to boot. yep i'm the kind of bloke that buys last years runout models of things too...

edit; Katie is right, chicks tend to dig them man-skirts. It takes a real man to wear a skirt...
I was gonna say that Steve but you beat me to it. I still want to wait till the bugs get worked out.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,996 Posts
Don't have a kilt, but I do have some samples of our official family "plaid". I've thought about painting it as the trim color of a full-scale plane I never quite got around to building.

The kilt is really much more practical than pants in the typical conditions in Scotland.

There is a lot of heather and other tall ground cover to walk through, and in the morning it's typically covered with dew. In short order, pants would be soaking wet. Bare legs dry off much quicker than fabric, and if the kilt gets wet, it's less of an impediment than soaking wet trousers would be.

At night, it doubles as a blanket. Since it's wool, one of the few fibers that are still warm when they're wet, it still provides useful insulation if you get caught in the rain.

Altogether a very practical garment.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,040 Posts
No doubt Don but...........it sure makes a good target to mess with TJ.

I've read a little history too and I knew darn well what the kilt was all about when TJ wore his into a Waffle House..............early in the morning............in the deep South.........around all those mouth breathing good ole boys. Actually, he scored a whole bunch of points with me when he did. But, in my group we swim around like sharks waitning for an opening and TJ gave one. If we didn't luv ya TJ we wouldn't care. You're just lucky Hoss (Hossfly72) wasn't with me that morning for breakfast. He's devastating when it comes to embarrassment, sarcasm and thoughtful insights.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Guys, for TX batteries, the best way to go is the Hyperion LiFe 3S 9.9V 2100 MaH. All the benefits of a LiPo, long life, none of the hazards. Charge with the standard wal-wart. I use them in both my 9303's, don,t you all have back-up TX,s, and charge once a month And, since I fly in a lot of contests, and a highly populated urban area, both are 2.4 native. I ain,t losing no $1000 airplane to some yahoo turning on my freq!

Al
Big life fan, but I'd be worried about wall wart charging, you need to balance those cell
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
Another good thing about a Kilt is when it's time to releave yourself it's much easier. Unless your one of those guys that don't have the legs for it and have nylons on with it. And that's a whole other Ball Game!

And of course if your allergic to wool,could cause an undesirable rash,where you really don't want one.

And in those hot summer days,it helps you tell that there is a Thermal blowing through!
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,996 Posts
According to the Wikipedia article on wool, it's considered by the medical community as being hypoallergenic.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,996 Posts
I also heard that Aesop was fabled to wear wool, it helped him maintain a strong moral fiber.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
Big life fan, but I'd be worried about wall wart charging, you need to balance those cell
That's one of the things I LIKE about NiMH packs...
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
I also heard that Aesop was fabled to wear wool, it helped him maintain a strong moral fiber.
That one made me laugh!

I can say the kilt isn't an appropriate garment for Australia, apart from a southern halfs winter, but it works in Scottyland because as someone may have mentioned,, it traps a mini-thermal inside of it and so long as the heated air is not released, your hardware remains at full scale.

Promise I won't mention anything more about FM/2.4 sets- Ole boys atmongo and Willard Brown don't want to start an all in brawl here.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:11 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,919 Posts
Hi Steve

I remember hearing once that with the fresh air your hardware stays at the right temp for the little fish'eys that we have to do thier thing when given the chance.

Another plus for the Kilts to make more Kilt users down the road!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don