Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,085 Posts
Sailplanes and reefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
I used to have an 80 gal. reef tank that I loved. It was my hobby before getting into rc, not sure which costs more . I almost built it into the wall when we moved to our current house, but it was a structural wall where it went and I didn't feel like going through the hassle to make it right. Sure am glad I didn't now! I do miss it though, one day again...
Too funny, I tore down my tank 10 years ago when we moved to Texas. Wife has been missing the tank and for Valentines day I said OK. It started off as a little desktop nano... well you know how that goes. Yesterday I ordered a custom 60 gallon 24" cube with starphire glass, with a bottom return. Next week I'll order the AI LED light system and a Neptune Systems Apex controller to run the lights, pumps, temp, dosing, auto water top off with email alerts and all that jazz. And then there is the custom stand I need to build... funny, I'll have about the same into "momma's" tank as I do into my Supra Comp Pro..this time around I'm doing this right and everyone is happy!!
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
Glad to see that your'e settling back in. Hope the butt bunions have receeded.

Don
Fantastic job on Pokey. Leave it to you to use the dominoes as a sandwich clamp. Picked up on that earlier and the hint is very worthwhile. Hope you didn't lose the wing spring when you mated the "O". If you did just let me know and I'll send you another.

Sean
Methinks you are being too uncomplimentary in your building skills. What work I have seen of yours is enviable.

Back to greasy fingers again. A friend gave me a 1999 50cc Kinetic Moped that was sitting in his barn...(This is the same friend that gave me his 1981 250 Suzuki with 1,500 miles on it) The Kinetic is from India, 523 miles on it and in BAD need of cleaning and TLC. We'll see if this sucker works out as a chute chaser for the winch.

G
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Well thanks Gerald. I live near several fantastic builders who have been at it since the the 40's and 50's. Every time I think I have knocked one out of the park I go over to their shop and get humbled. Damned guys builds look like they were done by jewelers and robots. If I do have skills it's because I've watched them for years and if something doesn't look right they come save me from myself.:

I guess getting back on topic the one thing that I think contributes to my building looking better than it did in the early years is my learning to build and use jigs, fixtures, clamping pins and such. For me at least things got straighter, more square and joints got a LOT tighter.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Last edited by seanpcola; Feb 11, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
Too funny, I tore down my tank 10 years ago when we moved to Texas. Wife has been missing the tank and for Valentines day I said OK. It started off as a little desktop nano... well you know how that goes. Yesterday I ordered a custom 60 gallon 24" cube with starphire glass, with a bottom return. Next week I'll order the AI LED light system and a Neptune Systems Apex controller to run the lights, pumps, temp, dosing, auto water top off with email alerts and all that jazz. And then there is the custom stand I need to build... funny, I'll have about the same into "momma's" tank as I do into my Supra Comp Pro..this time around I'm doing this right and everyone is happy!!
Man, you're going all out! That's why I had to get out. For a good period there I was able to sell lots of the coral cuttings and I would have a ton of credit at the store so I would just be able to walk in and say "oh, I like that and bag that up too"! It would also pay for the replacement bulbs which cost about $300 to replace for the whole set .

I made my own sump that was a live bed filter with live sand, live rock, and lots of macro algae that rocked! Then I had a calkwasser auto top off that I made that worked quite well. Man I miss it, just don't have the $$ for two expensive hobbies. Plus if I don't feel like messing with the planes, they don't suffer and will be there when I get around to 'em. I'd love to see some pics. once it's running.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
Next week I'll order the AI LED light system and a Neptune Systems Apex controller to run the lights, pumps, temp, dosing, auto water top off with email alerts and all that jazz.
Ah, internet connected instrumentation and automation makes me happy.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,451 Posts
Guys, for TX batteries, the best way to go is the Hyperion LiFe 3S 9.9V 2100 MaH. All the benefits of a LiPo, long life, none of the hazards. Charge with the standard wal-wart. I use them in both my 9303's, don,t you all have back-up TX,s, and charge once a month And, since I fly in a lot of contests, and a highly populated urban area, both are 2.4 native. I ain,t losing no $1000 airplane to some yahoo turning on my freq!

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,283 Posts
Tell 'em about the 72 MHz shoot-downs a couple years ago, Al. That's why most of our area is on 2.4.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Well I have seen my share of those too Katie, I have even commited the horrible sin of doing it myself once accidentally I am sad to admit, I wasn't even a yahoo , and renumerated the poor victim. You do this hobby long enough and you got to witness a lot of things in the past.

Still though, no need to throw out a perfectly good radio until it expires so the old ritual of board checking and peg slotting will do for a bit when at a club field, increasingly less of a drama these days with everyone on 2.4.

Cheers for the LiFe recommendation Al, I have the 7.2V LiPo to try out but if it fails to satisfy then there is no shortage of options!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Feb 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I think for now I'm going to stick with my 72Mhz futaba system. If I get that place I'm looking at in AZ I won't have to worry about any other fliers. The nearest model field is about 40 miles away and the nearest full scale airstrip is about the same distance.

I will most likely go to 2.4 on my next system though. I'll be getting a new one when I go to install the radio gear in the A.S.P. prototype. From that point on I'll use 2.4 for the new designs and hold onto the old gear for the older planes. I'm considering installing a FPV system in the ASP which should be interesting.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,283 Posts
Ahoy, thar be eagles here, mates! Woo hoo! I'm watching the Decorah nest, and both just appeared, momma making nesting motions.

Edit: Palindrome, cool!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Feb 11, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
I don't blame you guys for going 2.4. A lot of areas are congested. Where I fly there just isn't anyone else around for a lot of miles. I have flown contests and at aerotows but no one ever seems to be on my channel anyway. I don't hop around and have been on 60 and ONLY 60 since 1987 or thereabouts. However I have flown with some guys who were on 2.4 and saw them loose 1K + moldies on lockouts. I know that was their fault, not the radios, but it happens with either system. I'm just a dumb old hick waaayyy out so never a conflict.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
While we are getting into redneck roots again, might I say that if I had even a functional AM set right now it would be powering one of my foamy wings at least because the past two days have been blowing up the face of my skirt! soon as I have something ready to go I just know the slope will be dead for weeks...

Have a good weekend folks, sounds a bit blowy for some of you though, but may it be up the face of your skirt if nowhere else!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I told ya, it's not a skirt!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
I told ya, it's not a skirt!
You're in the South now TJ............it's a skirt.

Glad you posted. I meant to call you about the kits I have. You in town or still out working?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
While we are getting into redneck roots again, might I say that if I had even a functional AM set right now it would be powering one of my foamy wings at least because the past two days have been blowing up the face of my skirt! soon as I have something ready to go I just know the slope will be dead for weeks...

Have a good weekend folks, sounds a bit blowy for some of you though, but may it be up the face of your skirt if nowhere else!

Shoot yeah Steve, AM worked just fine for me for years. I have never once been shot down nor have I shot down someone else. I attribute some of that to luck but I think the "shootdown" angle is overplayed. Maybe not for guys living in congested areas but it's just never been an issue here and not worth me dumping 2K worth of electronics for pennies and then spending 2K to go fly. I will eventually go 2.4 but I'm good right now. Last contest I went to most everyone was on 2.4 and I almost had the frequency board to myself.