Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Thanks, fellas! I got the vert feather schmooged together last night, so, a new horiz and some MK and I'll start the wings. My danged LHS is out of .014" CF strips so I'll have to find some somewhere else. Oh well, still got sailplane stuff to so I'm happy .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:00 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Looks and sounds like the repairs are moving right along Don. Shouldn't be too much longer and you'll have her back in the air again.

Speaking of making progress... I've got a guy driving over from South Carolina to pick up all of the old aquariums (40+) and accessories tomorrow so that will be a BIG chunk of space opened up for sorting and a lot of stuff out of my hair. (Yes... Unlike some of you I still have hair ) Things should start moving a little faster on getting this move finished up so I can get back to building and flying again. I am so in need of some "Thermal Therapy" about now it isn't even funny!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Looks and sounds like the repairs are moving right along Don. Shouldn't be too much longer and you'll have her back in the air again.

Speaking of making progress... I've got a guy driving over from South Carolina to pick up all of the old aquariums (40+) and accessories tomorrow so that will be a BIG chunk of space opened up for sorting and a lot of stuff out of my hair. (Yes... Unlike some of you I still have hair ) Things should start moving a little faster on getting this move finished up so I can get back to building and flying again. I am so in need of some "Thermal Therapy" about now it isn't even funny!
Dang Jeff you should have told him to keep on driving to my place. I've got two 55s, a 75, 90, 125 and 220 I would have put on him cheap..............as long as he came when JJ wasn't home. I love aquariums but our new house, though bigger than the old one is all open floor plan and no wall space to speak of. If I ever set one up again it will be the big one. MUCH easier to keep up.

Looking good Don! You'll never know it got crunched.

I'm having real good luck selling some of the sailplanes I don't intend to fly anymore so I'm getting some breathing space too. I was gonna start on my OIII but think I'll ship the kit to Eddie since he's a lot faster builder than the rest of us.

And his covering jobs look better than mine too.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Dang Jeff you should have told him to keep on driving to my place. I've got two 55s, a 75, 90, 125 and 220 I would have put on him cheap..............as long as he came when JJ wasn't home. I love aquariums but our new house, though bigger than the old one is all open floor plan and no wall space to speak of. If I ever set one up again it will be the big one. MUCH easier to keep up.

Looking good Don! You'll never know it got crunched.

I'm having real good luck selling some of the sailplanes I don't intend to fly anymore so I'm getting some breathing space too. I was gonna start on my OIII but think I'll ship the kit to Eddie since he's a lot faster builder than the rest of us.

And his covering jobs look better than mine too.
Thanks for the complement Sean. But I would take one of your builds over mine any day. And your only looking at a picture of the covering..........What's the 10'rule? Oh yeah,from 10' it looks really good,but you guys are not allowed any closer.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
You won't be disappointed Steve. Not sure what transmitter you have but I do shut my charger off when the voltage reaches 12V. Anything over that (according to the JR folks I spoke with) can make the module run hot and eventually damage it. Even shutting the voltage off at that point still leaves more juice than you can burn in a day/
Cheers for the tip Sean, I'll keep an eye on it, though I only charge at very low rates usually, I remember vaguely how these batts can get hot. It's a multiplex Tx and I guess the same rules apply for all of them after all circuitry is circuitry no matter how they have fashioned the outside of a Tx case.

edit; you and me both Jeff, severe withdrawls. That hair coment didn't go unnoticed either...
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Hey Steve,

Charging them at a high rate isn't the issue, it's operating a transmitter above 12V. I may be wrong on yours anyway, I just know when I ran my JR 9303 above 12V the back felt pretty hot after 10 minutes. The JR guys suggested keeping it below that level so the tx internals stay within parameters. As for charging the pack, I beat mine like a red-headed stepchild. I forget to check the batt. before I head to the field, get there and see it's low and slam the crap out of it so I can fly.

Eddie, remember, you've only seen my builds by photos and they're taken at 10' or more too.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Quote:
I used to have an 80 gal. reef tank that I loved. It was my hobby before getting into rc, not sure which costs more . I almost built it into the wall when we moved to our current house, but it was a structural wall where it went and I didn't feel like going through the hassle to make it right. Sure am glad I didn't now! I do miss it though, one day again...

220, that would be the way to go! Plenty of room for all the goodies, but so much more stable than a smaller setup. Back on topic, oh wait, what's the topic of the thread again .

Forest

Oh, found a pic of the tank when it was dirty towards the end before I broke it down.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Reef tanks are awesome. We had all of those tanks I listed plus a 30G hospital quarantine tank running at the same time. You're right, the bigger they the more stable = less work. When our house got flooded 2004 the tanks were the only thing undamaged due to the weight and all stands were waterproof. My big Oscars looked at me when I came back in like "What the hell just happened ?".

Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Sean yes I agree, I would not want my circuitry components to handle any more than 12V in the case of a Tx! although I understand there is an margin for voltage variation in the circuitry they do have their limits before the magic smoke escapes though I can't remember what that is exactly these days, especially a Tx. For some years as a younger guy I was involved with elecronics manufacturing of telecoms gear, saw my share of escaping smoke then.

I'd be happy to limit the charge to 10v, it should be a long while before my low voltage alarm chimes at 6-7V or whatever I have set it to.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Sean yes I agree, I would not want my circuitry components to handle any more than 12V in the case of a Tx! although I understand there is an margin for voltage variation in the circuitry they do have their limits before the magic smoke escapes though I can't remember what that is exactly these days, especially a Tx. For some years as a younger guy I was involved with elecronics manufacturing of telecoms gear, saw my share of escaping smoke then.

I'd be happy to limit the charge to 10v, it should be a long while before my low voltage alarm chimes at 6-7V or whatever I have set it to.
Yeah, I was wondering if there were differences between txs here and down under. Only reason I brought it up (no reflection on your knowledge) was that I've seen a few guys run up a 3 cell Lipo to full charge and trash their txs. No magic smoke..........just died a quiet death. Plus, I'd hate for you to have to get on a plane, fly here to the USA and track down TJ and myself and throttle us both for bad information.

Actually I'd do something like that to get you over here, even buy you a new radio.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Well now, I haven't made the jump to 2.4Ghz yet, so that offer has potential!! But for 36Mhz I am happy enough with the oddly enjoyable MPX unit, I am a less-buttons-the-happier kind of guy with radios.

So, those guys were using 3c LiPo's hey! no wonder they junked their Tx's, a nominal 11.3V putting out 16V just has to burn out something one would assume... but I guess there are all sorts of ways to learn with the most effective being the hard way Lol. Yep, I'll stick to a 2 cell thanks 2200mAh at 8 volts sounds just perfect, the original 6cell NiMH ran at 7.5V-8V nom. and was just 1500mAh. but I've no expertice on the subject.

If anyone has any in depth techincal knowledge on the subject I would probably enjoy reading it. But as they say over here 'she'll be right mate', 2cell 7.2V has to work well, it does for you gents so it should for me too.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Well, there's the difference. I guess your tx runs on 6 cells and ours runs on 8. I'm referring to 72MhZ here. I don't do 2.4 yet either. No reason to. I seldom fly with more than two other people and we've been flying together for over 30 years. We've got the channel assignments figured out. I'll upgrade sometime but no hurry. On our 8 cell systems (9.6 nominal) we go 3 cell for Lipo and it's safe to 12V. You can see where my confusion came from.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
I think I confused myself a bit too Sean, I also own two JR Tx's 4ch and 6ch and I think they were definitely an 8 cell just like yours, they are in storage so I can't check them. Only difference is the MHz between yours and ours I think, they have the exact same batteries as yours in the States.

So, ok, the bottom line in my case with the 6 cell MPX is I definitely should go no further than a 2 cell LiPo! - or then again, maybe I could??
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Buy me a 2.4gig setup Sean, and if I don't like it I shall return it to you. Honest!

I have no probs with FM and will keep it until the thing dies of old age or abuse, then will give 2.4 consideration. I rarely fly in a big crowd anyway either and the synth fm sets work nicely enough, can't complain, but I use Rx crystals still- more school of hard knocks logic (Patches).

Getting close to having something in the air, maybe next week if a north wind rolls up the slope!! yippeeeee!!!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Buy me a 2.4gig setup Sean, and if I don't like it I shall return it to you. Honest!

I have no probs with FM and will keep it until the thing dies of old age or abuse, then will give 2.4 consideration. I rarely fly in a big crowd anyway either and the synth fm sets work nicely enough, can't complain, but I use Rx crystals still- more school of hard knocks logic (Patches).

Getting close to having something in the air, maybe next week if a north wind rolls up the slope!! yippeeeee!!!
Only thing I can guaranteed have in the air next week is a freeflight sport or embryo design. With a spiny-thingy on the front and a gumband inside. Well... maybe a neo-dime scale. I could do that, too. If I don't spend a lot of time detailing it for scale points.

Man...I could SOOO go for a large latte with a shot of cinammon flavoring tonight! I need to live next door to a Starbucks...
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Last edited by TheNightowl; Feb 11, 2012 at 09:22 AM.