Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:56 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Hey Steve,

Check around the LHS for a Tx lipo. Cheap and you'll be amazed how long it'll run and how little you'll need to recharge. An Eneloop pack here in the USA will cost around $20.00+ for 8 cells, I've gotten the Lipos for $14.00 with connector already installed.

Only thing I do different is to cut off the charge at 12V so as not to overheat the module.

I went this way a year or so ago and it's just the only way to go IMO.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I replaced my Tx battery with a LiPo also and now I probably only charge it every two or three months!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:39 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Will have to see whats available around here, the guy behind my preferred LHS is out of town until late Feb, and the other two shops I have to price but are never cheap, and i'd like to fly summer slope while the warm north winds are around, so dunno yet. still though, you can't complain about an eneloop pack if that's what it takes. Have used lipo's in my 3d planes and ep gliders but not in a Tx yet but I'm open to the idea.

At any rate i'm a lodger at present for the sake of saving money and it's not possible to set up a workshop just yet, I have to fly what I already have for a while but that is five gliders so no worries. Glad I didn't sell them all before I left back in July 2010!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:57 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Donno of the southwest, ressurection pictures, very important! this thread isn't about status, but just keeping stuff airborne.

I am not to far away from having poor old patches in the air, but I can empathise with our rebuild. After all, there are hundreds of rebuilds going on all over the world as we type.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:13 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hi Steve-

Glad you're back and getting settled in. I can only imagine how it is after such a trip to come back and reclaim your comfort zone, must feel a bit alien. I haven't had much time for Pokey as of late (surely I procrast) but will post some fuse repair/procedures pics tonight. Knowing how to build and how to repair are two different animals but my ideas seem to be working well.

Best,

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,912 Posts
Hi DW

Well it looks like our black & white feather friends are back tuning up their nest, i went to the webside for the vid cam and refreshed the page and they have all the info about the birds and the ones they have raised - specs on the location - nest etc.

This time we can see when the chicks get out of the eggs , really looking forward to live show.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:00 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I just checked G Don and the nest is getting fluffy. I saw some finches the other day pecking around inside the nest. Don't know what they were pecking at but there were 3-4 of them.

I've got the nose back on Pokey as best I could guess the process. The ply side and bottom split and made a mess. I desplintered and massaged the ply back in place as well as I could but still had a bit of a woody to the right .

What I did was to soak it down a bit with water and softened it up. I could see the fibers merging much better and could get it into position. I clamped the sides together with dominoes (love em) and weighed it down to dry. It was almost perfect when dried. I left it weighted and soaked the splits with thin CA. I hate the stuff but boy did it soak in and create a great bond...smokin sh_t .

I ran a length of CF strip on the inside of fuse side for support and glassed the bottom and the side splits with some 3/4oz. Coated the whole inside with finishing resin and a pinch of milled glass.

I removed the bent brass tubes and gooed and gaumed the the through hole areas with the same process. New tubes all lined up and potted in. A little more sanding and I'll cover up the mess. I think my little oak skid helped hold this together on impact. It spans the length of the affected area but it's fine screw holes and all? Here's some pics, some are example to show what i did.

Move forward, must move forward....
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,113 Posts
Very nice repair!
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:09 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Yeah Don-O, you got it. Pokey will actually be a much superior aircraft than that lesser bird you started with.

Seriously.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:52 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Hey, eagle watchers:
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Geez DW. Your repairs sure are purtty.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:37 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Looking good Don, she will be pretty as again for sure given your attention to detail and thoroughness.

Well TJ and Sean you talked me into it, the LHS has a 2200mAh 2-cell Venom LiPo for $10 and it looks like it should fit easily into the MPX batt compartment, I'll open it up tomorrow and see. Strewth! can't complain about that, a $10 Tx battery!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
For my fellow raptor enthusiasts, here is a pic of the Osprey nest near my coastal slope, every year they raise a couple of chicks and I love flying my planes with the curious youngsters, sometimes they follow the gliders around and perform simple aerobatics around them. I've even had one reach out and rap it's talons around the fuse of one pod and boom glider! quite a moment that was.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:05 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Looking good Don, she will be pretty as again for sure given your attention to detail and thoroughness.

Well TJ and Sean you talked me into it, the LHS has a 2200mAh 2-cell Venom LiPo for $10 and it looks like it should fit easily into the MPX batt compartment, I'll open it up tomorrow and see. Strewth! can't complain about that, a $10 Tx battery!
You won't be disappointed Steve. Not sure what transmitter you have but I do shut my charger off when the voltage reaches 12V. Anything over that (according to the JR folks I spoke with) can make the module run hot and eventually damage it. Even shutting the voltage off at that point still leaves more juice than you can burn in a day/
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
Dang DW,

That looks better than mine,and I haven't even maidened it yet!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar