Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
Heheheh, Like a virgin....l yeah, right!

Hey Sean, it aint a Gambler. It aint a quickflick. Been surfin through pics.
Aint nothing like it no where.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:39 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Yeah, I don't follow football much, either. The only thing I do watch out for is when and who, and whether I need to duck under cover when the game ends. It rains lead here, in a strange form of celebration.

Today, I spent most of the day getting forgotten parts for the new table saw, returning the tired old rental, prepping dinner, and working out in the garden and greenhouse.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Well Katie, you can fly over here and help my wife with the new garden she proposes. Between her and Hoss' wife they think 40 acres is a good start.

I'm into house plants and landscaping but I ain't harrowing fields.

Hoss, I thought that was what it was. Knowing the builder he probably came up with the design. We may have to name it since it can't be identified. How about the "Zombie Thermal Killer 5000"?
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Sean, as long as you and your wife don't mind the new garden being filled with carnivorous plants!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:03 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Audrey?

I could really freak her out. We were discussing alien life forms today and I mentioned the speculation over plant based sentient beings. Hey. we could have a herd of 4 legged eggplant that also does rodeo tricks.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,794 Posts
I have an extreme and thoroughly provoked dislike for football, but that's another long and painful story. Instead of watching the game today, I was out on the local back roads scaring the neighbors, with a car-top test rig flutter-testing a very strange wing for a certain very strange aircraft, and then writing a report about it to my "day job" boss. BTW, the wing was mostly wooden, and it passed with flying colors.

As far as sentient plants, I've heard some about that. In particular, I read about some interesting experiments quite a while back, where they connected a begonia to an EEG (brainwave-measuring) machine. It registered reactions to people being in the room, and various other stimuli. Then they had a researcher enter the room carrying a lighted candle. The readings went off the charts.

Later, that same person entered the room again, but this time without the candle.

The readings went off the charts AGAIN. The plant REMEMBERED.

So, for all your vegan friends who believe it's immoral to eat cute, fuzzy animals, they'd better not eat plants either...
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Feb 05, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
So, for all your vegan friends who believe it's immoral to eat cute, fuzzy animals, they'd better not eat plants either...
My point precisely. I think that in another 2-300 years of enlightenment the human race is gonna be pretty surprised over the cognizance of the things taken for granted. I don't talk to our houseplants but they do seem to respond to attention. Dogs have always seemed to respond to me very favorably. Even the "uncontrollable" ones that everyone else has given up on. I think they sense that I feel like they are equal to any other sentient being. I'm not talking about anything way out there or Dr. Doolittle stuff but I've always felt that anything that "lives" can sense things and wants to be treated fairly.I'm a big sci-fi fan and I'm hedging my bets.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,794 Posts
I do recall that the workers at a certain military-run factory were very suspicious of the rhododendron the management put in the break room. They were afraid it might be a government plant.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:51 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Quote:
I have an extreme and thoroughly provoked dislike for football, but that's another long and painful story. Instead of watching the game today, I was out on the local back roads scaring the neighbors, with a car-top test rig flutter-testing a very strange wing for a certain very strange aircraft, and then writing a report about it to my "day job" boss. BTW, the wing was mostly wooden, and it passed with flying colors.

As far as sentient plants, I've heard some about that. In particular, I read about some interesting experiments quite a while back, where they connected a begonia to an EEG (brainwave-measuring) machine. It registered reactions to people being in the room, and various other stimuli. Then they had a researcher enter the room carrying a lighted candle. The readings went off the charts.

Later, that same person entered the room again, but this time without the candle.

The readings went off the charts AGAIN. The plant REMEMBERED.

Don, when you finish your secret project, and it goes public, you MUST share pictures! I especially like the mental image that went along with the flutter test.

Do you have a link to that begonia study? I would LOVE to read it. Botany is a fond subject of mine, though it's only specific areas.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:33 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Quote:
They were afraid it might be a government plant.
Bwahahaha!

Like Sean and the dogs, I have a certain connection to cats, even the ones that are less than friendly to other people. I went to visit an Aunt a few years ago and when she returned from the kitchen she was shocked to see one of her three cats in my lap and purring. She said that particular cat wouldn't even allow her to get too close at times.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:07 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Hummmm... Between cute and fuzzies and thinking plants I guess that they're going to have to learn how to survive on AIR! Then again I don't like the thought of them sucking down our thermals either.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
Football...schmootball... I spent the day getting my RV and pickup ready for the 800+ mile treck to F3J in the Desert and SWC. Now if I can just get my gliders finished, maidened, and myself psyched down a bit... My eye infection is almost gone, so I can get my Journey finished, my Icon 2 flap servos in, my radio programming done... etc... etc... I'll be outa here very early... one week from today.

Any of my woody friends gonna make Phoenix? This is going to be a VERY fun week...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,794 Posts
Our bodies are designed to be omnivores. That's why we can have larger brains, and have trouble with wisdom teeth.

If you go back to the early pre-homonids like Zynjanthropithicus, they lived on an essentially vegetarian diet, such as roots, shoots, etc., like the other "Great Apes" (chimps, gorillas, etc.). Eating these required powerful jaws and a lot of chewing. The skulls of all of these types of primates have enormous areas on the sides of their skulls for the attachment of jaw muscles, large openings between the cheek bones and the skull for these muscles to pass through, very thick skull walls to support the muscles, and very large jaw bones with lots of molars.

Skulls like that were not very pliable, and would not fit through the birth canal if the brain got very big.

As the later homonids switched to more of a meat-eating diet (mainly as scavengers), we did not need such a powerful chewing mechanism. We were surviving on the parts of carcasses left by apex hunters like leopards and lions, using our wits, and our hands equipped with opposable thumbs, to find ways to get to the parts that were harder to get to, like bone marrow. The reduced need for chewing allowed the jaw assembly to get lighter and smaller, the skull walls to get thinner, the infant skull to become more pliable, and therefore the brain could get larger. Since greater intelligence aided our new lifestyle, a bigger brain became an advantage.

HOWEVER, there was a problem. The size of the jaw is controlled by two genes, but the number of teeth is controlled by seven genes. As a result, the jaw was able to "downsize" more quickly than the number of teeth.

Because of this, today we have more teeth than we need, and more than will comfortably fit in our new, smaller jaw. It's what anthropologists call "evolutionary baggage". Because of this, when those last "wisdom teeth" come in, there's no room for them, and things on the "dental front" tend to go downhill from there.
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Feb 06, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:56 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Any of my woody friends gonna make Phoenix? This is going to be a VERY fun week...
I can't make it this year Jack but I'm sure going to be trying for the next one. With a little luck I may have the A.S.P. prototype done and tested so you can give it the first contest flight since I don't do contests.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
I like plants too, not enough to type a google dissertation, but sure they can sense some basic things, all those molecules and cells so immaculately connected was no mistake was it, biological chemistry depends on airborne and lots of other electromagnetic energy and information around it to shape its being and survival, just like us. And anyhow look at Balsa, if only it knew how useful it would become...

Yes I saw some of the football circus and the yanks won, about as riveting as Aus football really and only an excuse to fire up a BBQ and sink some cold ones for me.

Getting my remaining RC gear out of storage today and pulling apart my Tx, think I'll make up my owm eneloop Tx batt pack, cheaper and more mAh. Nothing else to report yet, it'll take some time.

Cheers for the useful building info above guys, I'm a bit rusty so I read it with interest.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve