Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righteo, sounds like the route I'm going - simple elevon operation and perhaps some spoilers as well. I could always just add them later, though. As for magnets for the wing root... thats not the only thing keeping it together right?

No worries on the updating, starting my own thread for it right now.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Litteral flying wings. Cool! Definitely keep us posted.

It's a race to see which one gets the electronics, and flies first: the Manta or the (ready for this?) Atomic Pickled Thermal Spud. It's a DLG a local group here got together, designed, and built a few years ago. They're doing it again, and I'm IN. We've build nights about every two weeks.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:18 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Litteral flying wings. Cool! Definitely keep us posted.

It's a race to see which one gets the electronics, and flies first: the Manta or the (ready for this?) Atomic Pickled Thermal Spud. It's a DLG a local group here got together, designed, and built a few years ago. They're doing it again, and I'm IN. We've build nights about every two weeks.
Good luck and happy building on the DLG's. There loads of fun to fly, and if you want to see some nice wings, check out the new Nurflügel forum here on RCG. Sneaky-peeky at the Horten Glider -Alpine Sled....code name "The Manatee", the Colibri 100, and the Thermal Wing. These guys sure do know how to design and build some fine machines! Just hope mine can hold a candle and be worthy of being posted in the same forum.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Righteo, sounds like the route I'm going - simple elevon operation and perhaps some spoilers as well. I could always just add them later, though. As for magnets for the wing root... thats not the only thing keeping it together right?

No worries on the updating, starting my own thread for it right now.

Cheers - boingk
No, the magnets are to keep the wings from wanting to ride up the joiner rod, keep them sucked down to the fuse. the joiner rod is taking all the load. Granted, that wont be all that much for the most part, as this will ride up the line on a bridle, (Rolling Bobbin), hooked to the wings and not from a center hook in the fuse. Here is a vid of a wing being launched with a bridle in this post - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=86 - if you haven't seen the setup. Pulls the wing up straight and you get the benefit of reducing the wing load on launch by up to 5x.

Mark
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Oh come on now, with a name like that we need pictures. Is it a bagged wing design? Are you pulling pods from a mold or using the lost foam method. I am gonna guess it is not a woody, as most of the current DLG designs are composite, so maybe we should talk in really little font so not to draw unwanted attention.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:38 AM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey Boingker I'm guessing the lower powered servo will be fine unless you are going to bash the homebrew on the slope or want to pull out of powerdives under power or whatever, but personally I've used the 1.5Kg servo's in a number of appications including the flaperons on Patches the 3.47m OlyIII and they were little troopers, never a strip or worry even with flap deflection on winch and hi-start launch and that is quite a test. Mine were blue though but I beleive they are a generic servo with the same insides.

But if you are concerned then the higher torque servo's are never a mistake. Specially if rough landings or phisycal contacts of any kind are likely.

- I haven't built or flown for over 1.5 years though, maybe things have changed.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:42 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Good luck and happy building on the DLG's. There loads of fun to fly, and if you want to see some nice wings, check out the new Nurflügel forum here on RCG. Sneaky-peeky at the Horten Glider -Alpine Sled....code name "The Manatee", the Colibri 100, and the Thermal Wing. These guys sure do know how to design and build some fine machines! Just hope mine can hold a candle and be worthy of being posted in the same forum.

Mark
Oh, yeah. Nice wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Oh come on now, with a name like that we need pictures. Is it a bagged wing design? Are you pulling pods from a mold or using the lost foam method. I am gonna guess it is not a woody, as most of the current DLG designs are composite, so maybe we should talk in really little font so not to draw unwanted attention.

Wayne

Yep, it's bagged. Hmmm, if it's made of composites, and the composites have grain, it's wood, right? A sort-of artificial, plastic wood? Aramid has organic components, so ... so........ So there! And hey, I have wood servo mounts. Yeah, it's a woody, right?

Not gonna fly, huh? Nah, it's a bagged everything plane.

Here's the loooooong thread: http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2818
First mock assembly page 7, good build shots through the entire 46 page thread, Pickle gets it's name, I suppose, around page 17 (I wasn't there, I don't quite know), GREAT graphics on page 23- 24, maiden and first unofficial gull-wing DLG on page 32. Then the "production run" begins. Lots of great photos, and even more good graphics. We start seeing green on page 39, and it FLIES on page 44. Whew! That's a lot of pickles.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Planks! bastard things really, fun and sometimes challenging to trim and fly, sensational to look at in the air oh yes, but almost always a greater level of compromise. I like my planks to be EPP thanks.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,108 Posts
Long Live the JW60
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:33 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
quick61 - Gotchya mate, sounds like a good design feature. Part of the reason I'm going electric in mine is because I can't be stuffed winching... for the most part my experiences with it have been a PITA unless its a simple 6mm latex bungee launch.

atmosteve - Agree on the compromise part, but personally I don't really care. A big part of the pitching/momentum compromise (in my opinion) is that people take advantage of their quick pitch rate and thus bleed of speed very quickly during what would ordinarily be called quite abrupt maneuvers. If you fly it smoothly and for the most part like a traditional craft you may surprise yourself; try limiting the throws.

Thankyou as well for the advice on the servos. I am used to parkflyer and speed ship kind of loadings so am not used to designing with a glider in mind. The orange HK servos (like the ones I linked) have proved to be very reliable for me so far and I now use them exclusively. I've only had one failure, and that may have been due to superglue wicking inside the servo or into the arm pivot.

davidjensen - Think I'm using the PW106

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Planks! bastard things really, fun and sometimes challenging to trim and fly, sensational to look at in the air oh yes, but almost always a greater level of compromise. I like my planks to be EPP thanks.
Ah come on atmosteve, nothing like "getting your wood on" when it's a nice long stiff plank!

Mark

oh, crap.. now I can't stop laughing \
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Ok Mark..... What did you do here? There hasn't been a post since you made your last comment. (Sniff... Sniff) Oh... Never mind! I can smell why no one has been in here for awhile! Next time use the air freshener will ya!?!?!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I'm still some time away from getting any wood on myself, but still enjoy browsing everyones projects and antics.

Made another small step last week though, scored a programmable charger from the LHS reduced from $160 ton $40, it had a ding in the metal casing, bargain! Also have to see Steve Raskin about replacing the radio gear he lost in my 2mLB, and a new MPX Tx batt then I can at least hit the slope again.

Have a good weekend all, anyone doing any flying?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:16 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Well, Only real report I can give is today: The Hossman came over this morning. We went out to the shop and made airplane noises for a while. Then we ate lunch with Buddy (Glider2 on here), where we talked sailplanes and illustrated soaring with our hands wile slamming Subway sammiches. Next went to the Gun Show, where we ogled a lot of steel and not a few redneck girls. I spent too much money and he spent a little too much. Next out to the range where we threw a lot of lead around till way past dark using Hoss' tactical light to illuminate targets. That was cool and different. Then talked models. Then he headed home. So, I guess we kinda sorta in a way got some model stuff done today.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:36 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,238 Posts
Sounds like a good day, Sean... Good day, indeed..
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl