to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:53 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I won this round of 2m woody fledgling. Woo hoo! Of course, I also lost the same miserably.

I got two pop offs, one I landed immediately right on the tow ring, and the second I tried to duplicate the first, and instead came in hot & fast, and wound up in the goalie net. Scoooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrre! No damage. My tasks were 3, 5, & 7, and my times were 1:30, 1:40, & 1:20. There was only one other plane competing in my class; his unpowered (plane OFF) launch was short and spectacular. By default, I won my class, and lost at the same time.
Congrats Lil, sorry to hear

Cees
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
I should'a gotten at least a cameraphone pic of the goal. It had me doubled over laughing for a couple minutes. I could hardly hold the plane to launch again.

The lift today was only getting good when everyone left after the contest. There was enough to keep the big mouldies hovering, but I couldn't get my plane over to it fast enough, and wound up sinking to a pitiful landing each time. It was a pretty ugly day, landing wise. There was the Vista that bit it on launch, then there was a midair that grounded two planes, I think an Xplorer versus a Supra (I think), then there was an Ava that got stuck in a tree, and last but not the least spectacular, a botched landing (Hey, [pilot]! FLAPS! Pull yer' FLAPS!) that hit the pilot in the thigh. Leg's fine, the wing has a 6" x 2" patch that needs fixing now. Owie! I heard the landing countdown was like: "... three ... two ... one ....... OUCH!" I heard the bang from that one. They actually count my goalie as a crash. LoL! I didn't break anything, though, and went on to keep flying.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Jan 29, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Lift, stupid, lift! Der, eye cann speeel, onest!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
LS, did good today And we seamlessly incorporated a new ALES class into our monthly TD contest Worked out great, and a lot of interest in the mass launches. And that midair was a first for me to see, a, father and son, both flying Icons Hope you get em fixed Bobby!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Both Icons. I thought they were Supra vs Xplorer. :blush:

The new class DID fit in very well. It was busy, but FUN. We had over 40 people total there, almost 30 pilots, and a handful of fence hangers. What a great day. And Al didn't try to hand catch his plane.

Heyyyyy, lookit what I found! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373232
One f the guys has one nearly finished up in the rafters, and wants me to finish it. Sa-weeeet!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:21 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Quote:
,snip>
Heyyyyy, lookit what I found! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373232
One f the guys has one nearly finished up in the rafters, and wants me to finish it. Sa-weeeet!
I've always liked that one. Thought about trying it without the motor as suggested in the mag article. I've been looking over the set of plans I have for it, (scans from the mag, cleaned up, assembled, and just need the scaling tweaked a bit), but just have too much other stuff in the fire at this time. Good to see someone is building one. Sure is a looker.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:19 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:

I've always liked the Sorcerer design and would like to scale it up to about a 12 foot span. Of course I've been in love with the twin boom layout since I saw my first P-38 lightning waaayyy back when. Let us know how it comes out!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:41 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
I sure will. It's still buried, it will be a while. In the meantime, we are looking into various plane storage schemes.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
I should get another one and send it to Don W, just so's he has something to fly while the O3 is in its second incarnation. Ok Don?? ?
Thanks, Steveo but those little things are bigger home wreckers than my cousin Matt . Remember this....
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Hey Lil' that is a sa-weeeet looking bird. I'd like to have one too. There's also a Canard style sailplane I'd like to build (I think someone on here has it as his avitar). If I recall correctly, the plans and a build article were first published in Flying Models back in the 80's. I've got a lot of unfinished projects right now and too little home time to work on any, so those will go to my bucket list for now. (Oh yeah, I picked up a Falcon 120 ARF yesterday from a club member. It won't get built anytime soon either )
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Don't get me going on canards, too. If I do, I'll never stop building!

I just found out that that Sorcerer in that thread is solar. Wonder how it worked out, never did see any maiden in that thread. Maybe we should go over and give him a poke, see how the plane did.

My Manta short kit is in the mail, yay! I can't wait to get busy on that. We're off now to OSH, to get some stuff to rig up a plane hangar. It's getting that bad, that fast.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:07 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Looking good Lil'! That will be a nice looking bird once she's in the air. Love the design.

At my place ribs are cut and one half of the 'flying wing glider' is almost ready to rock. I've settled on a spacing between rib centres of 75mm/2.95" giving a rib count of 25 for the 1800mm/73.5" span. Spars are 1/4" balsa stock, centre box hasn't been designed yet.

Heres where I'm up to:

Not much, but all the electrical components have been selected and should work out as follows:

Lipos ranging from (all 3s 30c) 600mAh, 1000mAh & 2200mAh (CG dependant)
Turnigy 3530 1100kv outrunner w/GWS 10x6 prop,
HobbyKing Super Simple 18/20A ESC,
OrangeRx 6ch cased receiver,
HK15178 or HK15148 servos.

Only thing I'm worried about is the servo size - will the 15178's be enough or should I use the 15148's? They are rated at (2.5kg/0.14s 60deg) and (1.2kg/0.10s 60deg) respectively at 4.8 volts. I can fit either in the wing but am just wondering which would be more appropriate for a 74" elevon-controlled flying wing.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Last edited by boingk; Feb 01, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Hey boingk, what is it you have decided to build here? Do you have a build thread going somewhere? I've just started a 2m thermal plank build my own self as a test bed for this Skyloft covering that I want to try out. Should be a quick build once I get my drawings done and printed out. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585563

Mark
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I'm not really building to any set plan, this is a complete scratchbuild of my own design. I've been changing it as I go along and have not got a drawn plan - its going straight from my head to my hands to the balsa.

The idea is loosely based around the 'Kombat Kid' by ProBroJoe in that its a flying wing with no real fuselage or tail, based on very simple rib and spar construction. It may end up having a small foward section but this would only be to provide a secure place to mount the engine - it would have the bonus of helping give the forward CG bias (when compared to traditional craft) that these models tend to favour. I have yet to decide whether or not I will add a tail or simply extend the tip caps into winglets, ala the Kombat Kid, thus providing a rearward drag bias and some yaw stability.

Your 'Thermal Bleed' looks very interesting - are you planning on adding power or a rudder to it? Flaps?

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
I'm not really building to any set plan, this is a complete scratchbuild of my own design. I've been changing it as I go along and have not got a drawn plan - its going straight from my head to my hands to the balsa.

The idea is loosely based around the 'Kombat Kid' by ProBroJoe in that its a flying wing with no real fuselage or tail, based on very simple rib and spar construction. It may end up having a small foward section but this would only be to provide a secure place to mount the engine - it would have the bonus of helping give the forward CG bias (when compared to traditional craft) that these models tend to favour. I have yet to decide whether or not I will add a tail or simply extend the tip caps into winglets, ala the Kombat Kid, thus providing a rearward drag bias and some yaw stability.

Your 'Thermal Bleed' looks very interesting - are you planning on adding power or a rudder to it? Flaps?

Cheers - boingk
No flaps or rudder, (not enough dihedral for a rudder to be all that effective) Just elevons and maybe spoilers.. we'll see. Got all the ribs cut out and the fuse sides along with most of the ply. Going to print out the plans tomorrow when I go to town and snag up some of those little "super magnets" for the slide and wing roots. Like to get it in the air some time next week if the weather holds out and I don't get sidetracked.

It's shiny your going total scratch, Please keep updating on your progress

Mark