Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
But this one flies like a peach Owl, insides at least, better 'foil than the fox it'd axial roll nicely and be an ele-ali thing. I did the 2' mpx fox as an RE a few years back and I reckon this thing would better the fox easily despite a pudgier fuse cross-section. just guessing though.

Mate, it's free for me, so...
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
I should get another one and send it to Don W, just so's he has something to fly while the O3 is in its second incarnation. Ok Don?? ?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
But this one flies like a peach Owl, insides at least, better 'foil than the fox it'd axial roll nicely and be an ele-ali thing. I did the 2' mpx fox as an RE a few years back and I reckon this thing would better the fox easily despite a pudgier fuse cross-section. just guessing though.

Mate, it's free for me, so...
Hey, if it flies, DOOO EEEET!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
hey, Steve, I had one of those, I took the electronics out of one of those HH indoor P-51's and converted it to R/C, you have to remove the steel ball in the nose, there is a thread in the slope forums to make it a twisty wing plane as well, I think under FOX. blast to fly, lost it on the slopes one day

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:23 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
Well now if that's not pretty I don't know what is!
Yah, Geode would have fit right in here as he was all about building with wood. His Manta design was an all wood DLG, except for the boom, he even designed a balsa pod for it. The Bumble Bee came in two sizes 34" and 60" and are remarkably strong. Somewhere there is a picture of him holding the bigger Bumblebee out horizontally by the wingtip. He just disappeared from RCG one day never to be heard from again.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
That's really sad, because I would have had an advantage, and could have chatted at the slope, field, over lunch.... Ah, well. Wherever he's at, hope he's well.

I have a sailing friend that was once active on RCG, then also kinda quit. His moniker is wottapilot. I found him here, but he's long since quit answering PMs. Nahh, if I want to get a hold of Harry, I'd just ring him up, or meet him at the ramp.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure, now, that It's a Manta that's going on one of the booms. Bug on the other, but the other boom needs a bot of work to fix it.

ETA: Thanks, Don, and Night Owl!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: ETA
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,960 Posts
Katie, those articles will help with the overall numbers, but will not answer all of your questions for you. In particular, they will not directly answer questions about what tail area to use, or what tail boom length, they will just tell you how much you can reduce one if you increase the other.

You have to use other criteria to find the complete answer:

On a 2-channel glider, you might want a tail moment based on what gives you enough "top rudder" effect (due to cuurvature of the airflow) to get enough extra angle of attack on the inside wing tip to counteract overbanking tendency in a typical thermal turn. Joe and I have actually gone so far as building a test model with an adjustable-length tail boom to determine this with flight tests.

On a pylon racer, where there is a "scale appearance" requirement, such as the Quarter-40 class, you might be more concerned with minimizing drag. In a case like that, I've worked out an equation for whetted area of the tail cone, plugged that into my spread sheet along with specifying a set of tail volume coefficients, then played with the tail moment arm length to find the combination of tail moment and corresponding tail area that resulted in the lowest possible total whetted area for the tail surfaces plus the tail cone.

You can do something similar to find the proportions for the lowest possible tail assembly weight.

If you set both the static and dynamic tail volume coefficients as specified input parameters, you will find that there is only one combination of tail area and tail moment arm that can simultaneously satisfy specific values of both of those. This can be a very good approach if you already have an example of a plane whose behavior you want to emulate with your new design. Calculate the static and dynamic coefficients for the plane you like, then find the tail moment and areas that give the same results for your new model.

Or, you can just use TLAR and hope you get "lucky". Not a consistent, reliable way to design airplanes.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
559 Posts
Discovery for reducing CA irritation

Hello,

I've stumbled upon something that might be useful to others. If this is old news let me know.

CA glue used to be no problem for me, but in the last few years I have had to be really careful to not breathe the fumes. It doesn't take much to give me a sore throat and even a tendency for bloody noses. I can't use it much at all in the basement, especially during the winter when ventilation is minimal.

What's new to me is an idea for keeping the fumes out of my sinuses and throat. I thought about how moisture in the wood activates the chemical reaction to make it cure, so it follows that moist membranes are affected when we breathe in the CA.
The solution for me has been to use a plain old dust mask, but dampened. The fumes have to pass through the wet filter before they get to me, and the irritation level is reduced by 90%. I still feel a little burn in my eyes, but the only lasting effect is a little goop in the corners of my eyes.

I hope this can help others.

Tim
onewinch.com
2motheus is online now Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,905 Posts
Hi Tim

If you are getting bloody nose's from the ca , you are way overdue to stop using it.

When you body goes over the edge to being a MCS guy you will be in big trouble then, i know as it happened to me and ruined my life.

Through that CA away and use white glue, just a word of warning !!!

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
340 Posts
excel spread sheets for sailplane design

Here are Excel spread sheets which can be used to figure out how big to make things:

http://tailwindgliders.com/Files.html#Files

Have fun plugging numbers in!

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
Tim, right om dude! I am 60 and started building again Those CA fumes just kill me! I decided to just use Titebond and wait for it to dry! And if I have to use CA, the garage will be open, and a fan running!

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Wow guys, you must be using a hell of a lot of CA or using it in a really confined area. You gotta have ventilation with that stuff, even a small desk fan blowing over the work area would be enough.

Personally I love CA and its stood up well in my 32" Kombat Kid, which has seen a number of crashes and come out with no real airframe damage bar the motor/battery housing.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
This works very well for me. CA, epoxy, dope, cat box, none of it gets through.

What I think I'll do for the big Bug is just go back to the calculator, and start multiplying the Bug fuse length by bigger and bigger percentages until I get a number that matches my current boom length.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
I won't get on my soapbox about CA vs wood glue but I use wood glue or WBPU 99% of the time now. As for the wait time, most of the newer wood glues out there set pretty fast, especially if you're building larger parts with multiple pieces. Like all glue, barely enough is plenty and more than enough will severely slow down the set time. I just don't use CA anymore except for temporary tacking or special projects.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
This works very well for me. CA, epoxy, dope, cat box, none of it gets through.

I use the 3M respirator too, for all glues with fumes, as well as spray paint. It even comes with a removable dust pre-filter, so it can double-duty as a dust mask to prevent balsa sensitivity in the long term. These also seal way better than the paper dust masks.
R2R is offline Find More Posts by R2R