Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Arne, that's a good indication you're probably flying too slow. That might also explain the hard landing. Get the nose down a little more and get some airflow over that rudder, the whole plane should b happier.
Thanks. Faster flying, and moving links are more easy, than rebuild the rudder.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
All this talk of bikes and cars reminds me of a video our FIAT club just posted. Wanna see it?

Fiat America Melee 2011 (2 min 56 sec)
keep an eye out for our red 131.

Sticking at least a little on topic: I blew up a wing plan for the Bug to about 68" WS. It's a Vee-tail, so I might convert one of my freebie fuses to a Vee. I'm going to need to add extra ribs to the wing, they're almost 4" apart per plan at this size.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Lookin good, Al! The Oculus looks like a real winner. It's more carbonated than my home brewed suds .

What's all this about age....old schmold...you're as old as you feel. Some days I'm 18 and some days I'm 80. I would venture, on average, we all feel like we're in our prime.....rock on gents.
+1 on age/attitude. My dad was starting to slow down and having "incidents" like tripping over stuff and so forth. I was really worried and even though he goes to the doctor regularly they all said nothing was wrong. Finally he had to have hip surgery. A year after that he was walking much better but the "incidents" kept happening. He finally had a bad fall and got really beat up. The Dr in that ER visit was really sharp and realized dad was having serious heart issues. Next morning they slapped a new pace maker in. You talk about an amazing transformation! That afternoon he was eating like a pig, color much better and even his speech sounded 30 years younger. Now I have a new problem with him. He's uncontrollable. We do house projects and I'm panting and begging him to let me take a break. We go out to breakfast and he's really into the ladies. The man is off the chain now.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Sticking at least a little on topic: I blew up a wing plan for the Bug to about 68" WS. It's a Vee-tail, so I might convert one of my freebie fuses to a Vee. I'm going to need to add extra ribs to the wing, they're almost 4" apart per plan at this size.
Hi Katie,

If you are looking for a built up style DLG wing look hard at the Manta or the Bumble Bee XL wing here on RCGroups. Not too hard to build, at least the Manta wing is, and plans are available here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688041 at post #382

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jan 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Misspelled her name.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Wayne: SOLD! Wow, I like it!

Now what am I gonna do with these giant Bug plans I printed? Meh. I'll build a BIG Bug. Later.

Sean: Awesome! WTG Sean's Dad!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
Oops, sorry about the typo on your name. You know there are so many women's names here it can get confusing. I went back and corrected it.

Wayne
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Oops, sorry about the typo on your name. You know there are so many women's names here it can get confusing. I went back and corrected it.

Wayne
I saw. I looked at the keyboard, and noted the "R" being next to the "T", and said nothing. It happens to me very frequently, but usually with keys on the wrong hand ("I" instead of "E", etc).

Wayne, do you have the original full plans for the Manta? Do they come with instructions? Since Geode is no longer active, and does not answer PMs, I am stuck gleaning the thread for help. I have the "unlocked" PDF, and have already printed it, but I am a little confused at a couple points. This plan assumes we've built certain other planes, and I am at a disadvantage.

Such a shame, because according to the little box around his name, he lives only 5 miles from me. I'd like to pick his brains, some day.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
There really isn't a set of directions for the Manta other than the build thread. I have a set of plans that I received from Geode, back when he was active, and the single sheet that was published on the Manta thread. You are welcome to both, just PM me an email address and I will send them out. I'm no rocket scientist but I will try to answer any questions you might have about building it. I should state for the record that I have not built one of these myself but it is on the schedule after the Raven and a repair to the Pulsar.

Wayne

here is a picture of another one of his creations. He called it the bumble Bee XL
Last edited by Windependence; Jan 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
There really isn't a set of directions for the Manta other than the build thread. I have a set of plans that I received from Geode, back when he was active, and the single sheet that was published on the Manta thread. You are welcome to both, just PM me an email address and I will send them out. I'm no rocket scientist but I will try to answer any questions you might have about building it. I should state for the record that I have not built one of these myself but it is on the schedule after the Raven and a repair to the Pulsar.

Wayne

here is a picture of another one of his creations. He called it the bumble Bee XL
Well now if that's not pretty I don't know what is!
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
PM pending.

I saw the Bumblebee. Nice looker! I also saw and bookmarked the parabolic wing Manta. Some other day, when I'm not using old, beat up fuses, I'll tackle one of those.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:36 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
You know, Katie... if Don Stackhouse is hanging about... Oh, DOOooonnnn...

He's a wealth of information about the actual NUMBERS. You were asking what wing would go with what fuse length over in another thread (or was that this one?)...

Anyway... Don has or can point you to how to calculate how long the tail moment should be and how large the tail feathers, and some other technical stuff like that. How long a wing will fit a certain length fuselage can be kind of confusing, because it isn't really figured that way. You look at something like the BoT, and it has a 118-inch span, but I think is well under 60 inches long, tip of the nose to the tail. That would put it at about a 1:2 ratio of fuse length:wing span. I can't get all technical about it, like Don can, but the wing span, chord and center of pressure, combined with the CG, all go into figuring out how far back your tailfeathers need to be, and how much area they need to have, to keep the wings at their ideal angle for flight and the plane responding to control.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:35 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,795 Posts
http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d...tail_coef.html

http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d...om-length.html

http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d...uselength.html

There are other articles in Ask Joe and Don on our website that discuss this same issue. Just browse the "Design" section of AJ&D.

In general, a horizontal tail volume coefficient of about .45-.55, and a vertical around .05, will be in the ballpark.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
Thank you, Mr. Stackhouse!

N'O
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Quote:
=seanpcola;20559254 He's uncontrollable. We do house projects and I'm panting and begging him to let me take a break. We go out to breakfast and he's really into the ladies. The man is off the chain now.
I bet the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree either.

At the severe risk of being sacreligous here, have been thinking of turning this thing into an rc job, it could be a flying target for my fellow flyers either slope or thermal and may be just the thing to help get my hand/eye reflexes back in order. ?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
Somebody was making RC planes out of several of those little (And NOT so little) styrofoam jobbies that are out there. You could find them in the seasonal sections at Walmart, etc. There was a 4-footer and a 2-footer. Despite bein' "jets," they had front ends on them that looked more like the front ends of DC-3s (from two different kits mated together; seam work was HORRIBLE! lol). I guess they were using the little 2 footers as slopers. But I don't have a thread to link to to show you.

Nightowl