Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:10 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Bikes.........I LOVE bikes! Last one I owned was a Kawasaki KX 400 around '84. Way too much MX bike for me. I have two bad knees as a souvenir. I contemplate getting a nice road bike often but think I better stay off of them. I don't trust the 4 wheel drivers around here either. I am jealous of boingk's crotch rocket though.

All this talk about cool machinery has my mind racing. I would love to get something sweet but guess I'll stick to my white plain Jane Silverado. It really blends into the scenery. If (when) I ever push the wife over the edge I can escape in it, pull in to any construction site and melt into the background.

Owl, I PMed you. More info later.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:42 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,914 Posts
Ya Sean i love bikes too, first was Yamaha 80' in 63'- 175 Montesa in 68' and in 73' i built my own fire road special with a honda 4 valve 385' that weighed in at 220 lbs ready to fly.

The frame was all.049 wall chrom-moly and nickle plated, but in 2 yrs i just had to have that new 500' thumper for MORE power. And in 80' i hung up my helmet as 17 yrs was pushing my luck and getting hurt is bad news for a one man band shop.

Met a pro flat track racer in 70' and was around that group for 15 yrs and had a great time, even made 200 disc brake rotors for them for a few years.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Got a new woodie project, should be done tonight.

I picked up Sig's new model and prop balancer. Major parts are laser cut plywood, mechanical parts are metal of course. Balance arms use ball bearings and have a counterweight so the arms themselves don't influence your hyper-critical CG measurement. This should be a very useful tool for sailplane pilots. Expect a full review shortly.

Tim in TX
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Nice old Chrysler Valiant Boingk! 245 was bulletproof donk. My first car was an AP6 225 slant and I was always modifying it somehow, now that thing was a proverbial iron tank.

Now that thing of yours is a crotch rocket!! Yeah, the scooter I sold before riding off around aus was a KLX400R (DRZ) and was such a good chook chaser and town bike I regret selling it.

Sean, can't go wrong with a Marauder or Oly III I suspect in the right hands either of these birds can wipe out a lot of fast glass birds at TD.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Cheers on the bike comments guys, stoked about it myself as its my 7th motorcycle but the only one so far I was able to a) ride away and b) not buy parts for! Its nothing compared to the current crop of superbikes but its very nice to ride and the engine is a gem - power everywhere and a brilliant exhaust note.
My 'more sensible' ride is a '97 Honda XR600R enduro that I've done some mild work to (camshaft, ignition, large-plenum intake). Its probably the most fun thing I've ever ridden and is a pretty good mile-muncher, too, as its comfortable, good on fuel and very reliable. Way more usable than the DRZ-400E I had

Back on track, I've run the figures (based on cut ribs/spars and the last wing I built) and the flying wing glider I'm making should weigh around 450~500g all up for a 1600mm span. Thats including a 1000mAh 3-cell lipo pack, two 17g mini servos and 35mm outrunner w/10x6 prop.

The flight loading at the higher end of the weight scale is about 5 ounces per square foot, so she should be able to thermal nicely if I can get the CG right!

Cheers all - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
New thread, "The OLYIII hurt the moldies feelings thread", tips, tricks, and who you beat
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,770 Posts
I heard from our old friend Ed Jett today in my PMs... I have thought of him from time to time and hope he joins us back here on the groups...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,585 Posts
It's Spring time up North ....

Well ... almost:

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Hey Ed Jett, if your lurking ... give us a howdy ...

Miss you brother.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Yeah Ed, remember that money you borrowed?

Just kidding Ed.

Head over here sometime and we'll do some aviatin'.

Ed, if you read this we're aerotowing last weekend in February.
Last edited by seanpcola; Jan 25, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith1 View Post
New thread, "The OLYIII hurt the moldies feelings thread", tips, tricks, and who you beat
Yeah, there are several OIII threads on here but we should do a condensed version with tips and tricks. The occasional moldie spanking would be nice too.

Steve, In capable hands (not mine ) I've seen quite a few moldie upsets from guys flying woodies. I have done it but in my case it was me flying a wood bird that I had a ton of hours on against someone with a plastic fantastic that was fresh from assembly.

There's no doubt that the latest greatest has the advantage in accurate wings, efficiency and control-ability at low speed point and dart (maybe to a lesser extent) but I just don't fly that way much anymore. I loaf up the line, float around and when I'm ready to come home I lose altitude gracefully. I like smooth landings with an old fashioned slide. None of that is conducive to being in the winner's circle with current formats.

I currently have 3 moldies, two of them are pristine, no scratches, top dollar servos, best receiver, factory perfect. The other one has had repairs, lots of time on the servos and it's so ugly you have to sneak up on it to launch. Guess which one I fly the best. With the other two my knees are knocking the whole flight. I guess that holds true with the woodies also. Get a couple of tears in the covering, maybe a few scarfed joints, reglued nose and I become a real hot dog on the field.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I currently have 3 moldies, two of them are pristine, no scratches, top dollar servos, best receiver, factory perfect. The other one has had repairs, lots of time on the servos and it's so ugly you have to sneak up on it to launch. Guess which one I fly the best. With the other two my knees are knocking the whole flight. I guess that holds true with the woodies also. Get a couple of tears in the covering, maybe a few scarfed joints, reglued nose and I become a real hot dog on the field.
Hahaha... one of the truism's of freeflight (for ME anyway) is that I have to take it back home and repair something after those first "test glides" to see if I have all the planes and CG worked out correctly. Especially if I build anything with struts. ANYTHING with struts. Most nerve wracking "flight" of all is the first time letting it go.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Shucks

You young whippersnappers don't know doodlie about two wheel transportation!
Here's my firebreathin' 1942 Cushman US Army flightline scooter, converted and hopped up. She would do 65 in a heartbeat!
Yep, I was a cool dude back in 1947.....
G
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Mr. G, you're cool dude in 2012 too .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:09 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
I think the G-man is pulling our leg. That's either James Dean or Marlon Brando in that photo.

Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,770 Posts
Oh, no... that's him... good lookin' ol' cuss, ain't he?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman