4,907 Posts
Awesome find on the video Wayne!
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,411 Posts
Wind, nice find When I started in RC the TX only had one button and you had to wind-up the escapement
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Al

What kinda momo you got in that there neat looking blue beauty?

I was going to get one of those Wood Box's too but needed more room so i bought a Lista cabinet instead, it was 26 yrs ago and back then both were top of the line.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,411 Posts
Hey, G Don! Morning! It' has a 351 Cleveland, open camber heads, full roller valve train. All Jag suspension, XKE in the front, narrowed XJS in the rear. It was a lot of fun to build!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Al

My 78' Ranchero has a 410' cleveland with a Comp Cam - Edelebrock and Holly.

Short 295-50 ta's on the back and a 325 gear makes it fun too, gets to going pretty quick for a full size car enough to get you in trouble on city streets.

But it just sets now because of the dumb smog stuff, missed the cutoff date by 1 year and it would cost about 2 grand to put it all back to stock so it would pass.

G Don
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Al

My 78' Ranchero has a 410' cleveland with a Comp Cam - Edelebrock and Holly.

Short 295-50 ta's on the back and a 325 gear makes it fun too, gets to going pretty quick for a full size car enough to get you in trouble on city streets.

And herein lies the rub. Exactly why I don't have a street rod right now. Wife would probably NOT bail me out.

But it just sets now because of the dumb smog stuff, missed the cutoff date by 1 year and it would cost about 2 grand to put it all back to stock so it would pass.

G Don
Hey Gdon, Florida doesn't have that stupid smog crap. I'll come get it and bring back here to make sure the engine stays loosened up.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Loosened up!!! C'mon, Sean, floatin valves comin out of second is a little more than that .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,907 Posts
You know, Don, that you have to beat those big Detroit engines into submission!

Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
GDon, Minnesota doesn't have smog regs either and I am accustomed to driving/drifting with spinning wheels half the year anyway. Just think of how much satisfaction you would get knowing that it was being driven in a manner befitting your love and care.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Guys

Thanks for the offers to keep the carbon from building up, i was doing a pretty good job of that here !!

When i was driving it i could not resist putting my foot in it as that brought back my days racing my B/Gas 37' Chevy coupe, from 64' to 68'.

I have thought about trying to get a out of state plate for it, anything but going back to a stock engine.

I put 85' Eldo seats in and it now has a full LT. Grey & Blue leather interior with console and Alpine sounds

G Don
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,907 Posts
My boss has quite a collection of cool cars and I'm "required" to run em' occasionally since he never gets around to it. For sheer heart stopping, neck snapping action he has a 2000 Renn Tech MB 600 with a massaged V-12 dyno''d to 875. Coolest thing to drive! When you nail it, it launches, Hard, but......controllable. Kind of hard to explain. Computerized suspension equalizes everything and you can feel the whole thing settle about 4" as the forward velocity picks up.

Funny story that made me understand the boss better (even though I've known him for 35 years):

He also has a 1993 Renn Tech Porsche 928 and it's evil/wicked/mean and nasty too. One Saturday morning he called me and mentioned that I needed to crank it up and drive it some. So I, of course, obliged.

As I was pulling out of a parking lot, I happened to see my two step-sons in their PU coming down the road. I honked, they saw me and as I pulled onto the highway I put it down and started slamming through the gears. Got the sweetest Tokyo drift going and still stayed in my lane, blowing past the boys. They have this big grin on their faces but as I go by I see my boss in another Porsche going by in the opposite direction staring right at me and his little red beauty. As we passed it looked like he too had a huge grin going. I felt guilty and figured I was gonna get a severe chewing when we talked next. About 20 minutes later my cell phone rings and it's the big guy calling. I'm like "well, here it comes". I answer and the first thing I hear is him giggling, then he says "that son of a 'll run, won't it?" I replied "Uhhh, yes sir it will". He snorted, giggled some more and hung up.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Ah ya what would us dudes do with out Hot Rods, getting wheel spin is one thing that is really hard to explain to some one else and just how cool it is.

It just makes the heart go pitter patter, plus big goose bumps when talking about it later.

Hot Rods & Fine Lady's is what life is all about , and just maybe neat Sailplanes too!!

G Don
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
That's a great story Sean. You just know that he knew you were waiting for that chewing and he made you suffer 20 minutes before calling. All the while he was thinking, "How much longer should i wait to call him?" Heck he probably enjoyed seeing the burn out from that perspective having done it himself countless times before.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,907 Posts
Yeah Wayne, he enjoyed it. And he was about 71 YO when that went down.

Better story and I'll try to be brief. Happened the same year as above. Boss and I drove that RT MB 600 over to another town about 70 miles away to pick up that 928 from the last story. We're on a long flat back road, smooth and no civilization for miles. I'm in front of him about 1/2 mile heading back, doing about 55. We're just tooling along enjoying a sunny day in God's country. I notice this little rice burner (you know the type, ALL obnoxious muffler ) barreling down the road and passes boss. I then realize he's moving pretty good. He comes up on me pretty fast and then passes me at about 70-75, of course making that infernal racket. I let him get about a 1/4 mile ahead of me and nail it. As I come up on him I can tell he stomps it (fumes blowing out that f-ing trumpet). I go around him like he's backing up, I mean blew the doors off him, it was shameful. I finally ease back over into my lane, not sure of the speed probably at least 110 or so. Just as I get fully in my lane boss blasts by me like I'm standing still, hard enough to rock the car I'm in and then he's just.........tail lights in the distance. I back down to a normal speed and a minute later pull into a convenience store. I go inside and as I'm at the counter that rice burner pulls in, the kid gets out and enters the store. He looks at me and asks "Was that you driving that red Porsche outside?".

"Yep".

Silence for a second, then "WHAT THE WAS THAT BLACK THING THAT WENT PAST US?".

"Well son, that was a real car. Someday when you grow up maybe you'll get rid of that toy".

" YOU!!!"