Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Will it handle that much weight? Looks like it's rated for about 1700#. I know my toy trailer got fat in a hurry.

Best setup I've seen in small trailers was sliding vertical racks. Plywood standing on edge with rollers on the bottom and guides on top. You mount wings and fuse on each side. When you want to get to one you pull the rack out, grab the bird and slide the rack back in place. Takes up a lot less room. Saw a guy with this at a meet. He had probably 8 scale jobs in a 6 x 12 with plenty of room left over for other stuff.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:32 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Thanks Wazmo. I just have to figure out what's left to do on the wings. I built two of the original design Genies back in 1993-94. In fact I have a flyable one now. I think this one, being a woodie should be interesting. I HOPE it's lighter.
Ah, so you have one of Vintage Sailplaner's Genies. The fuselage should be the same, but Harley's wing instructions will mostly not apply. He did a short write-up on RDS in the wood wing. Note that the wood wing is not designed for full-pedal winch launches.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:33 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
LOl Well considering that it held all the stuff I hauled out form California with no problem I don't think it's going to get that "Fat" on me. (Unlike some former girlfriends ) You still heading up this way this week? Let me know and I'll come on over with a couple of Guinness and we can discuss some design options.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo View Post
Ah, so you have one of Vintage Sailplaner's Genies. The fuselage should be the same, but Harley's wing instructions will mostly not apply. He did a short write-up on RDS in the wood wing. Note that the wood wing is not designed for full-pedal winch launches.
Yeah it's from Vintagesailplaner. As for winch launch, I don't punish em too bad anyway. the reason I'm going to finish it is because it belonged to a close friend that passed away. I intend to see it get airborne in his honor.

Jeff, Still haven't gotten the word as to when yet. If not this week then most likely the next. If I stay overnight we'll definitely do the planning meet........but I'll stick with my Corona.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Back to the topic at hand... I had set the Sky Bird on the back burner for a while to build some 'powered' planes (two Das Ugly Sticks from plans - build thread here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/MARCMAP_F...showtopic=4179). This past Sunday as I was pulling into the field, I watched three Red Tails circling in a thermal and regretted not having a flyable sailplane with me. My Oly II needs the covering pulled off and some attention paid to some glue joints in the wings and my Radian had a catostrophic prop failure that removed the entire nose section of the fuse (I managed to land it safely with the nose hanging by the ESC wires).
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Guys-
Yes, Sh_t Or Get Off The Pot. This is the ultimatum that was given me 30 years ago in April. I'd be dead now if I had GOTP because my life style wasn't, how should I say, eloquent of long term health .

Jeff-
The trailor idea sounds great and ain't gonna cost an arm and a leg either. I'm very interesed in your construction ideas for this mobile sailplane hanger/overnighter, let her rip tator chip .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Jeff-
The trailor idea sounds great and ain't gonna cost an arm and a leg either. I'm very interesed in your construction ideas for this mobile sailplane hanger/overnighter, let her rip tator chip .
I'm working up some 3D views of the layout and will post them when I have it done. (WARNING: I am NOT a 3D computer wiz so no jokes about the quality or lack there of of the renderings. )
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I'm working up some 3D views of the layout and will post them when I have it done. (WARNING: I am NOT a 3D computer wiz so no jokes about the quality or lack there of of the renderings. )

Joke, ribbing or ridicule? Us????
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,215 Posts
Quote:
Guys-
Yes, Sh_t Or Get Off The Pot. This is the ultimatum that was given me 30 years ago in April. I'd be dead now if I had GOTP because my life style wasn't, how should I say, eloquent of long term health .
You one of us children of the 60's who were actually a bit surprised to find we HAD survived to 30, Dwells?

My housing situation is going to be changing again shortly (Know anyone in Austin looking for a roommate? Cheap!) Hard to get building when everything is still in boxes, and all my plans are basically in two huge rolls of paper.

But I haven't given up!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:18 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, sure, never-ever. That's until you get the SOGOTP . Be strong Mr. Mac, stand up and GOTP .
Have balls, will travel the distance.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey TJ, nose job with landing of a sort?, good stuff indeed.! - seen a pylon racer throw a blade once and it only had one blade, messy, messy messy. No thanks.

I wanna be free, I wanna be me, I wanna be thermally!

Jeff is moving finally, maybe.. Owl is looking for new digs, Don wants to find clearer fields, it all leads to the auspicious and fabled thermalling commune somewhere in Arizona? - bit of a pipedream for the ununitiated here, but ya never know. Heck it'd make a great holiday destination wouldn't it.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:54 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
I wanna be free, I wanna be me, I wanna be thermally!

Jeff is moving finally, maybe.. Owl is looking for new digs, Don wants to find clearer fields, it all leads to the auspicious and fabled thermalling commune somewhere in Arizona? - bit of a pipedream for the ununitiated here, but ya never know. Heck it'd make a great holiday destination wouldn't it.
"And the times, they are a changin'... "

Hey, once I decided to leave northeast Kansas, the Southwest SOMEWHERE has always been on my shortlist of destinations. I can do Arizona. (Although, they have had a LOT of snow in Flagstaff so far this year!)
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
If Don, Hoss and I don't fly the straight and narrow we might all head to Arizona too. Owl can end up with 3 cheap roomates. Hey, we could start a soaring commune. If we can come up with a plan to get Steve kicked out of Aussieland and the rest of the gang all gives away their possessions and move we could make our own town. Now all we need is to find a big crowd of homeless Hooter's waitresses.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well one of the properties I'm looking at is about 40 acres and is in the middle of no where. According to google earth it's got maybe 3-5 feet of drop across the entire property so it's pretty darn flat. House is located in one corner of the land instead of sitting right in the middle of it so the fields are nice and open. Price is also right at $50K.

It's got a couple of large outbuildings that could be turned into shops with no problem and it's on a paved road. (Something of a rarity in AZ it seems) With a little work, I could put in some RV hookups and could start hosting sailplane meets. Also looks to be a good area for setting up a XC course as well since there's miles and miles of miles and miles..... Right on the state line so we could make it an "Interstate XC course". The one draw back it that the nearest "Hooters" is about an hour and a half away in Tucson. If I was to convert it over to solar then it would be completely off the grid as well.

I've requested more info from the agent and am waiting to see if they respond. I've had problems getting them to contact me back in the past so we'll see what happens this time.

This place smacks of a sailplane commune in the making guys!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:27 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Sounds good Jeff. Now, we'll also have to build a winery/distillery/brewery and an airstrip so we can commute back and forth to the Hooters.