Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:29 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
deleted
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Nov 20, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:36 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Is that warp from RH change?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Oops, posted twice somehow...sorry...
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Is that warp from RH change?
Yep, good old humidity strikes again. There is a lot to be said for climate control in a workspace if you can have it.

Hey nice work there, very tidy looking start to your Oly tailplane Don- I was going to ask how it was going. Did you get to weigh the cutouts?

I don't enjoy using solarfilm, but am toying with using it on this build. The usual profilm on a thermaller is a bit on the heavy side for my liking.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:01 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,533 Posts
Not to mention the plans themselves shrinking. I've had that happen before as well as getting biger. Now the shop has air conditioning and heat so it's pretty stable. Nothing like building one wing half and the plans changing before you build the other. But wood warpage just plain sucks. Spend all that time at the LHS picking out their finest just to have mother nature screw things up.
Steve Boone is online now Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:32 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Well I guess the I'll have to commandeer my wifes formal dining area for fuse and wing construction cause I don't want to deal with the movement. No, I haven't weighed these cutouts but I plan too...it's a pretty good chunk. I think Steve, like you mentioned earlier, it will at least comp for the mounting hardware for the removal configuration and then some.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Last week we had another dry change come through overnight, from 88% relative humidity to 48% ! The 0.007 carbon capped wing spars told the tale.
Actually, that sparcap bow will be beneficial. After the sparcaps are forced straight during installation, their wood will have some pretension in it. This means the wing can take more load and more flex before the top sparcap wood fails in compression.
markdrela is offline Find More Posts by markdrela
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
That may be true Mark, but the spars have returned to straight and true again. It looks like we are going to have a stable weather window coming up, hope so.

Plans shrinking.. you bet!! Ray provides a 16" line vertically and horizontally on the plan and I have measured it and seen over 1/4" change coming and going.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:00 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
Most of my kit plans have a note to start wing construction by laying the TE pieces on the plan and use the laser cut wing ribs to locate the front bottom sheeting and bottom spar. This method will help eliminate the paper/mositure problem.

I use the finished wing panel of one wing to dictate the length of the other wing panel during construction. This keeps the wing span the same regardless of the mositure content or lack of it in the plan.

When copying a plan, draw a horizontal and vertical line on the plan and then measure the lines on the new copy. Folks will be amazed at how far off copiers can be.

When building the fuse sides ( laminating the ply doubler ) of my Bird Series and OLY's, use a metal yard stick or better grade straight edge to make sure the bottom of the fuse sides are straight ( flat ). Copiers have been know to bow straight lines.

I'm one of the guys that enjoy the building as much as the flying.

Ray
http://www.skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
dwells,

Before gluing the fin to the stab, remove the covering from the bottom of the fin to create a larger glueing surface. Also, with a razor blade and ruler, remove the covering on the stab where the fin is going to touch the stab. Oherwise..... the fin will break off from the stab. Use long cure epoxy. Some day I'm going to try Gorilla glue on the fin - stab joint.

Ray
Home of Wood Crafters
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:28 PM
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Yep, good old humidity strikes again. There is a lot to be said for climate control in a workspace if you can have it.

Hey nice work there, very tidy looking start to your Oly tailplane Don- I was going to ask how it was going. Did you get to weigh the cutouts?

I don't enjoy using solarfilm, but am toying with using it on this build. The usual profilm on a thermaller is a bit on the heavy side for my liking.

Mositure ... sometimes a guy can't live without it, it can be friend or foe. I built a wing with the tip panel top spar of spruce and the bottom balsa. Didn't cover it, layed around in the basement for a month or two and the wings developed a huge, beautifull bow starting at the poly joint. What a mess.

Ray
Home of Wood Crafters
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:37 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks Ray, actually I'm going to bolt it all together so that the vert and horz planes can be separated from the fuse and each other...kinda ARF style I guess.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
In general terms, every once of weight added to the tail sections requires 4 ounces of weight in the nose of the fuse to balance the plane.

Ray
Home of Wood Crafters
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:32 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
One thing I am going to do after getting my Oly finished, flown and sorted out is build a pod and boom fuse for it, simply for weight and streamlining for competition sakes.
The OlyIII box fuse is a handsome and strong design to my eye and hand, and will get plenty of use from me in general flying, but I'm itching to see how this lovely looking wing will fly with a lighter, ballastable sleek fuse and built up tailplane combined with the enlarged spoilers and flaps.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:00 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,119 Posts
Hey Steve is the woody ready for the contest season?

On behalf of the Lismore guys. Great comp in a beautiful part of the world.

Pearces Creek, NSW
Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st August 2008
HOULIHANS CREEK ROAD, PEARCES CREEK

Events: Open Thermal Glider Rudder Elevator Spoiler
Entry Fee: Open Thermal or RES Glider - $10.00

cheers jeff
pm me for details
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505