Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:28 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
Well, the box is in! I was told it was RTF, minus the joiner repair, but in fact, the battery and Rx are not included. I won't make a stink, it's only $50 for a super cool model. (I'm temporarily classifying it a woodie-- it has a plywood servo tray)

I'll make a new thread in e-gliders, where it belongs, with pictures. I have a couple questions about plugs, battery, etc. Inside is a black thing with an octopus of wires coming out. I guess that's the ESC? There's one heck of a plug coming out of it!
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:17 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Quote:
I'll make a new thread in e-gliders, where it belongs, with pictures. I have a couple questions about plugs, battery, etc. Inside is a black thing with an octopus of wires coming out. I guess that's the ESC? There's one heck of a plug coming out of it!
uh oh, you have gone to the dark side I see more of you in my future Better link me to your new thread, cuz I have been doing E-glider stuff for a couple of years. Actually going to the AMA Soaring/Electric Nats next year to compete in the ALES 2 event

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:17 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
I will.

Yeah, I've gone electric--or will, once I figure this stuff out. It's all new to me. I have always planned it. I'm planning one getting a Radian.

~Link~

I had one mother of a crazy thought. I was looking at the foam wings, and thinking: "Gee, I bet I could build better, with balsa."
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Dec 07, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:23 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hahaha, I reckon you could LS!

Thats the thing that I like about building - you can do it almost any way you choose and still have a model thats airworthy and fun at the end of it.

My current project list includes a small nitro Stick, an ARF Cub, a large Viking oldtimer and... a flying wing glider I'm designing largely myself. The span is going to be around 62" with a 12" chord, giving 744" square of wing area. All up weight target is 500g/17oz or less, including a brushless outrunner and 3-cell lipo pack. The wing loading should be somewhere around the 3.5 to 4oz/sqft range.

No dihedral, no wing tapering, nothing special at all. Just a big, crazy wing to fly at the local field and catch thermals with. All balsa construction, naturally

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:52 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,944 Posts
Hi DW

Was checking on the nest and somebody had a meal there, feathers all over.

Doing a little work on the 60"er, motor mount and nose block fuse next.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Aaahhhhh... another Dark Sider... I dub thee, Darth Stinky!
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:18 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts

I was thinking either of cheating, and finding some DG or ASK wreckage to get some cross-sections from, or starting fresh with an airfoil suggested here. It really looks like aneasy build. I'll do the BoT first, so I can experience wing joiners and round fuse construction.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:06 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
After a long build. And just flying no building in the summer time. My Riser 100 begin to look like a wooden glider. A little covering, and soldering left, and it's ready for trimming, and testing. Just a pity that it is winter, and cold and dark here up North.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Last edited by ArneHu; Dec 08, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:13 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Very nice ArneHu, I particularly like the transparent covering... big fan of letting your hard work be shown off! She looks like she'll be a nice flyer for sure.

Anywho, the wing I mentioned above is inspired by the 'Kombat Kid' flying wing design by ProBroJoe. It is an allround good flyer at its original size of 32" (256"sq) and glides very well even with the 1000mAh 3s lipo in the nose - watch until the end to see me gliding right across the field, I really need all the room I can get to let her down

'Kombat Kid' Flying Wing (2 min 24 sec)

Might have heretical electricals in it... but it is all wooden!

Cheers - boingkl
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:51 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Greetings ArneHu. I have college friends from your side of the world over on the coastal side in Bodo and down south where it's "warm" in Bergen. These American keyboards don't have all the right accent marks so please forgive me.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:00 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi DW

Was checking on the nest and somebody had a meal there, feathers all over.

Doing a little work on the 60"er, motor mount and nose block fuse next.

G Don
I just looked in on the nest, empty but yes, it is being used. Looks like a build up of new twigs and such. I bet we have some eggs before too long.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:19 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
Greetings ArneHu. I have college friends from your side of the world over on the coastal side in Bodo and down south where it's "warm" in Bergen. These American keyboards don't have all the right accent marks so please forgive me.
Both Bergen and Bodø have some fantastic slopes nearby. I live near Oslo, with few slopes. Visit www.hang.no to see some breath taking sloping scenery, from the Western and Northern part of Norway.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:21 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
ArneHu, Nice site you posted. The slope flyers in Norway look to be a hearty bunch. I enjoyed roaming around the site. Me being from the Texas coast (flat land) I'm amazed by the landing areas I see in so many slope photos. Seems it's often an area of just rock, trees and things I'd rip my wings off on. My hat's off to all the slope flyers....everywhere.
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
Have the high res build photos ever been compiled?

From post #287(dwells) - #288(seanpcola):

"Hey Steve,

Between us Olymen, we probably have hundreds of high res O3 build pics that have never even been posted on the forum, I know I have. With your wordsmithing abilities and sense of organization, I'll bet you could put together a very comprehensive, photo rich how to. I'd be happy to help with photo cropping/detailing/highlighting or whatever.

Don"

"Don and Steve, I'll pitch in too. I didn't get tons of photos but have a few to contribute. "

Thanks.
Hi mate. Erm, no! I don't think so we were all to busy having fun, working or reading new threads on the OIII so I think we just let things go the way they were, the OIII seemed to be getting plenty of general forum attention and modifications.

A really balls out comprehensive step by painful step build thread on the woodie would still be a good thing, for conjecture if nothing else.

Apologies if we let the side down.

Brian; that wing is a wonder!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Lil!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes... oh well.

Has Don W had the latest Oly up in the air again? Don can I put in a request for some in flight pics please if possible, next time you get a chance to send Pokey up?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve