Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:48 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
How many times can I get hooked?

Today was the club's monthly contest. I got second in Fledgling Woodie, of three entrants. My second and third launch were terrible, I am still working out the bugs in my winch launches, and haven't been able to sit down long enough to epoxy in the wood for the bolts for the adjustable tow hook.

The first launch, though.....

It was one heck of a foggy day today. It never truly cleared up until almost 2, just as the winch was leaving. Some brave folks were trying to practice when we got there at 9; one smarty quipped "altitude limited soaring." And he was right! A full launch would have lost you completely in the fog. It lifted a smidgen as the experts MoM started, and a little more when the winch was opened for all classes. The fog was now high enough to play, as long as you didn't try to speck. After a couple false starts, I finally got my GL in the pea soup, and was immediately rocked by a thermal. I turned into it and... went UP! It was a good one, and the plane was doing all the turning. I was stoked. Then the plane started to fade.... Wow! I ducked down a bit, made a few too-tight turns, and was able to stay in the thermal, but just about under the fog. How cool!

Fledglings get 6, 5, and 4 minute tasks. At 4:30, I had to leave my nice, comfy thermal. It took a lot of convincing, but I finally got the plane straightened out. I left the thermal :weep: and promptly got sucked into another one, just as strong. Five minutes..... Five thirty.... I am doing everything I could remember (forgot to bury the stick in a corner), even trying to go inverted, and I am only halfway down. Fiver forty five.... Now it's time I HAD to get down. 200 feet left... 100 feet left... Five fifty! I am doing all I can, it's too low to invert again, I stalled, porpoised, did all sorts of slow-me-down things, all the while making a game attempt at hitting the ribbon, though it's not worth terribly much for my group. I made it down within 20 feet of the tape. Oh, well. Time? 5:59:02

My plane wouldn't come down.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Nov 27, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Punctuation... bahhh!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:25 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Great report LS. Sounds like y'all had a good time despite the fog. I've got one of those hat pins for my club "Azalea City Model Aeronautics", but I converted mine to 2.4
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:36 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Alright, Mr. G, what are these and where do they go?
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Dec 03, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:56 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Re: All right Mr. G, what are these

My goodness Don, I thought you would be able to figure them out!!

Up here in the high wind country we use them right close to the balance point
on our woodies (and them other ones) to help us hold on to the fuselage while
we chunk the aircraft off the winch. One strip to each side, length wise.

David Clarke introduced me to this handy little addition. For my old arthritic
hands it sure makes it easier to hold on to a slick fuselage.
I have heard of others that use that anti skid material on the lower nose
portion also.
I believe he got his supplies at Lowe's in the shower/bathtub area.

I might add that you could also cut out the same thing from that super sandpaper
like you sent me....

Just now recovering from Thanksgiving! Lord have mercy, I ate until the gut
couldn't take any more.....then I had more pumpkin pie!
"Phat" G
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Dec 04, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
ARKS Christmas Party last night and I sat next to the G-Man... who promptly got me in trouble with comments about hard, bony little fists... We had a nice time. However, even the truck heater wouldn't warm up the cold stare I got all the way home... (Just kidding, of course!)

Darth Fajita Breath...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:29 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,912 Posts
You drove home late at night reeking of Party mix and Mexican food? Isn't that illegal? You could have killed someone with your emmisions. I think it's called DUIM (Driving Under the Influence of Mexican).
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:16 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2 View Post
My goodness Don, I thought you would be able to figure them out!!

Up here in the high wind country we use them right close to the balance point
on our woodies (and them other ones) to help us hold on to the fuselage while
we chunk the aircraft off the winch. One strip to each side, length wise.

David Clarke introduced me to this handy little addition. For my old arthritic
hands it sure makes it easier to hold on to a slick fuselage.
I have heard of others that use that anti skid material on the lower nose
portion also.
I believe he got his supplies at Lowe's in the shower/bathtub area.

I might add that you could also cut out the same thing from that super sandpaper
like you sent me....

Just now recovering from Thanksgiving! Lord have mercy, I ate until the gut
couldn't take any more.....then I had more pumpkin pie!
"Phat" G
That's exactly it, Mr. G and I did cut them out of that roll of stuff . I remember seeing these on your planes and just now got around to applying them. I'm starting to develop a bit of pain and weakness in my right hand due a little arthritis in my ring and little finger mostly...stupid stuff .

Yep, MoneyKote is very slick with sweaty hands and I don't need Pokey pulling a "bar-o-soap" routine on me . Thanks for the great idea!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:55 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,413 Posts
I was out out at the local park today and met this really nice person, who rides a bike And thought of Steve! More pics can be found here!

http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopi...p=78679#p78679
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Al

Do you know what caused it to come off, what a bummer on that brand new very trick bird.

Are you very far from Sears Point? there is a salt car up there you might like to see in the building stages, has a chevy irl 4 cam in it. The guys are from Tom Gloys trans am team.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:43 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,413 Posts
GD, a little RED thread locker, solves the problem

Al

now the landing was fun
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:20 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,673 Posts
OK, here is one for you. I'v been looking at a few glider plans and I'v come across a few that has the wing area and wing loading in cubic decimeters, (dmq) Now how would one go about doing a comparison to a model that has a wing loading listed in oz/sq. ft.?

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:01 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,964 Posts
Mark:
Wing loading is in the form of weight/area as in ounces/square inch. In the metric system this can be grams/square centimeter or any of the power of ten variations like Kg/square meter, Kg/square decimeter, grams/square decimeter, etc.

1 square decimenter = 15.5 square inches and one ounce is equal to 28 grams. You can do the math or do it the easy way by using this website http://www.onlineconversion.com/area.htm

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:58 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Mark:
Wing loading is in the form of weight/area as in ounces/square inch. In the metric system this can be grams/square centimeter or any of the power of ten variations like Kg/square meter, Kg/square decimeter, grams/square decimeter, etc.

1 square decimenter = 15.5 square inches and one ounce is equal to 28 grams. You can do the math or do it the easy way by using this website http://www.onlineconversion.com/area.htm

FC
Yes, I would of gotten it, if it were square decimeter (DMK), but the spec is listed as cubic decimeters (DMQ), which to me, describes volume of the wing. That's the part that has me puzzled. Why would one relate volume of a wing in loading and area size, and is there any way to compare that to what is normally expressed as wing loading?
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:13 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Not really mate... cubic wing loading was made up to essentially make a model look like it has a better wing loading than it really does. At least, thats what I am aware of. Generally it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the performance of a model.

Plain old wing loading is what I work off.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
OK, here is one for you. I'v been looking at a few glider plans and I'v come across a few that has the wing area and wing loading in cubic decimeters, (dmq) Now how would one go about doing a comparison to a model that has a wing loading listed in oz/sq. ft.?

Mark
Take a look at the underlined bit. Is this really correct or did you have a typo?

If, in fact, the area is listed ... then computing the wing loading ought to be rather straightforward.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave