Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:18 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Those plastic bumpers are urethane so not sure the same thing would work on mylar.

Katie (that's my oldest babygirl's name too ), That silk covering is looking fantastic! I am cooking up an idea that might work for covering but not sure it'll take the dye. After the weekend maybe I can send you a piece of the stuff so you can see if it'll take dye. The stuff I have is extremely light, tough and shrinks with moderate heat.

As for Turkey day eating. I almost died. I overdosed on turkey and cranberry sauce. I was sitting in my easy chair giving one of the grandkids a hard time (family tradition ) when the indigestion hit. I thought I was a goner........it was touch and go...........then I burped, long and loud. Afterwards I did some self-administered therapy with pie, lots of it. I think I'm gonna live.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:30 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,904 Posts
Ya Sean

I warned ya about that OD stuff, one time when i was a young wipper snapper at Grandma's i ate way too much.

O boy did i have a tummy ache and have never forgot that day!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:39 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I warned you about over loading the wings Sean! At least you didn't have to resort to "jet power" to get that relief.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I, too, OD'd. You see, it's hard to cook and not sample as I go. Then came dinner, then pie, and...... Yeah.

Sean, I'd be glad to test a scrap or two of whatever ya got. If it's made of cellulose, it'll take it (that includes Rayon). Protein, too, but that's where it gets interesting.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:29 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
OK, Katie,

If you want to PM your mailing address I'll shoot a sample out to you late next week.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Will do.

Silly question.... Can I assume that a Spektrum Rx will NOT work with an Airtronics Tx? Here's to foolishly hoping it somehow will, even though I think I know better.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:46 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Will do.

Silly question.... Can I assume that a Spektrum Rx will NOT work with an Airtronics Tx? Here's to foolishly hoping it somehow will, even though I think I know better.
Nope! Sorry.
stoked6.0 is online now Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:27 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post

As for Turkey day eating. I almost died. I overdosed on turkey and cranberry sauce. I was sitting in my easy chair giving one of the grandkids a hard time (family tradition ) when the indigestion hit. I thought I was a goner........it was touch and go...........then I burped, long and loud. Afterwards I did some self-administered therapy with pie, lots of it. I think I'm gonna live.
Hey Sean,

I heard that burb out here in California..................I thought we were having an earthquake.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
Hey Sean,

I heard that burb out here in California..................I thought we were having an earthquake.

Eddie
Oh great, now I'll get blamed the next time a fault line over there goes haywire.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Holey Sweet Mother of Sailplanes!

We went out to the field today so that I could get in more winch practice. I was focused on getting out of the truck and ID-ing a great little 1.5m transparent woodie, and walked past an interesting V-tail blue and silver slope monster. I forgot my camera, though, and couldn't get pictures of the woodie. It's a one-off, with a tressed fuselage and Swiss-cheese control surfaces, and covered in a translucent white covering. Nobody knows what it was, but the covering felt kinda satiny.

Anyways, enough about the pretty woodie. While I was checking it out, one fellow asked another who's and what the blue and silver sloper was. The owner (shoooot, I can't think of his name! ) said: "It was given to me to donate to either the training program or this young lady right here." Who, me? Well, I'm the only girl out there.... Yeah, me! He told me it's an old plane from the 80's, can't recall who made it, and it may have a back story worth finding out. It needs everything; servos, battery, Rx. It is intended for moderate to "interesting" slope conditions, but it flies "sweet and gentle". The nose weight is an 8oz fishing weight, the wing weighs as much as my GL, 24 oz, and the fuse is 26 oz. That's 50 oz! Oh, yeah, slope ma-chine!

The fuse is fiberglass, as are the vertical..... surfaces. (what do you call them? Stabilins? Ruddervons?) The wing is what's neat. It's made of ribs and foam inserts, with caps on the ribs. I saw a peek under a small tear in the metallic blue Monokote. The silver is automotive paint. Nice shade, too! But if I have to re-do it, I may go Ranger Green. Wait, NO. FIAT Rame, it's a very pretty metallic burnt orange.

Around 11 the winch line broke, then broke again. While waiting for it to be fixed, I headed over to where Noel and his grandson were playing with a Alula, where they promptly handed me the Tx. FUNFUNFUNFUNFUN! I love it! It's on my "gotta get" list. Then I headed back, when Mike (club instructor) stopped me, and handed me a WIRELESS buddy box. NEAT! On the other end was a Radian. They may LOOK like whales, but they do fly like hawks. Sweet. That's actualy on my "next" list, a Radian. Dory wants us to get a Pro, I just want a plain-Jane Radian so we can train him on it. Maybe we can get away with a Pro, by putting the rudder on the ail. stick, and taping the ailerons. What do you think?

Someone esle showed up with a white...... Something. I wish I DID have my camera with me. It had long formers across the wing, the fuse was a wedge up front, going all trapezoidal to a duck-bill rear end, and the rudder was a square. I was told it's a kit available, and it'd make an OK trainer. I think it would make an OK trainer for someone else. I was flying, standing near the winch, and I heard: "Launching!" Splintercrack! Whatever it was, it's not anymore. Would like to know what it was, if only for morbid curiosity.

I am still excited and... high! (not the druggy kind, neither) I also got a can of nitrate dope, some thinner, and a little retarder. One step closer to siiiiilk!
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Nov 25, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:01 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,954 Posts
Quote:
...translucent white covering. Nobody knows what it was, but the covering felt kinda satiny.
Sounds like Micafilm. Did it have randomly oriented fibers in it?

Quote:
The fuse is fiberglass, as are the vertical..... surfaces. (what do you call them? Stabilins? Ruddervons?) ...!
"Ruddervators". A V-tail controls YAW, NOT ROLL, just like a conventional tail. I've seen a number of cases where someone tried to set them up as if they were ailerons and then wondered why the controls were backwards.

Imagine increasing the V-tail panels till they pointed up. Which way would the two "rudders" move to control yaw? They move that same way when you flatten them back down to the proper V-tail dihedral.

In other words, for up elevator both ruddervators move upwards, and both move down for down elevator.

For left rudder, the left one goes down and the right one goes up.

For right rudder, the left one goes up and the right one goes down.

There's a bunch more about V-tails (among a lot of other things) in the "Ask Joe and Don" section of our website www.djaerotech.com
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:24 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
I need to post this here! You have to fly WOOD

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545311

HMM. where is that Sagitta?

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:32 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
While waiting for it to be fixed, I headed over to where Noel and his grandson were playing with a Alula, where they promptly handed me the Tx. FUNFUNFUNFUNFUN! I love it! It's on my "gotta get" list. Then I headed back, when Mike (club instructor) stopped me, and handed me a WIRELESS buddy box. NEAT! On the other end was a Radian. They may LOOK like whales, but they do fly like hawks. Sweet. That's actualy on my "next" list, a Radian. Dory wants us to get a Pro, I just want a plain-Jane Radian so we can train him on it. Maybe we can get away with a Pro, by putting the rudder on the ail. stick, and taping the ailerons. What do you think?
The Pro is heavier and doesn't quite thermal as well as the Radian but the Pro is no slouch. You have to actively fly the Pro much more than the regular Radian. It's really designed as an introduction to full-house but there are honestly better planes for that IMHO.

The Alula is an absolute hoot. You'll love it until your shoulder and back are completely worn out then you'll wait until the pain stops and do it again. They're fun on a slope so I've been told but we don't get many slope opportunities in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
"Ruddervators". A V-tail controls YAW, NOT ROLL, just like a conventional tail. I've seen a number of cases where someone tried to set them up as if they were ailerons and then wondered why the controls were backwards.
To quote Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are, dat's funny right thar."
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
I need to post this here! You have to fly WOOD

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545311

HMM. where is that Sagitta?

Al