Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:33 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Sean,

I haven't yet been able to figure out what it is exactly. The online FAA database thinks NC numbers are invalid. Could you enlighten me/us?
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:40 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Cool! It's the 15th in the series but I can't find a full list of them. Wonder if they did a sailplane yet?

Nevermind, they haven't made one yet, I just found the list.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:06 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
Sean,

I haven't yet been able to figure out what it is exactly. The online FAA database thinks NC numbers are invalid. Could you enlighten me/us?
Culver Cadet. Our's is a 1940. Actually boss has three of them. Designed by Al Mooney who later on started Mooney Aircraft. The thing is really sweet especially when you consider when it was built. Leading edge slots for stall control, monocoque wood fuse design and retracts. Look it up on line and check it out. Culver Aircraft actually sold these as drones too. Quite a few shot down during gunnery practice.

Didn't realize that the database wouldn't take NC reg numbers. NC101PA is the orginal reg number issued at the factory.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
I'm feeling a little like Don these days... I thought this Duet build would be a couple of weekends... but it still drags on... All BS aside... it's getting close... I finally decided to add spoilers and have the wing close to being ready to cover. I just need to stop fooling around at work... ... Weather's probably going to give me another building day tomorrow...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
To all you fellas out there that have served, sacrificed and defended our freedoms to live like we want and give us time to do this woody thing, thank you....

Highest Regards,

Don
Thanks for saying thanks... Being a veteran, I took the day off and set up my... er.. ah.. Xplorer... and maidened it... Hey, it has wood servo mounts... When I got home, Dee Dee had made me some CHILI!!! And I worked on the Duet, some... That's looking like it could be a pretty sweet little model. Litle Stink Pot might need to take a look at it. It could be a nice one for her.

Darth 2-Meter Driver... (something just doesn't sound right about that...)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
I swear, just about the only member of our soaring club that doesn't have an Xplorer is me. I like watching them. Two weeks ago, we were watching one eke enough lift to stay aloft from the vent off of a nearby Mc D's. The CD was threatening at the subsequent meeting to start checking bottoms (sailplane bottoms, thank you!) for grease.

Dory said something really, really unexpected tonight, while we were watching the final installment of Harry Potter. At the end, when Voldemort goes up in a puff of debris, swirling upward to oblivion, Dory turned to me and said: "That's one heck of a thermal!" I think he's hooked, too.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:44 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm feeling a little like Don these days... I thought this Duet build would be a couple of weekends... but it still drags on... All BS aside... it's getting close... I finally decided to add spoilers and have the wing close to being ready to cover. I just need to stop fooling around at work... ... Weather's probably going to give me another building day tomorrow...
Hey Jack,
I noticed on your Duet and other prior design/builds that you always use pull string for your spoilers. I like this setup also and wonder what the pluses are for you?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,131 Posts
Quote:

Sean-

My wife came waggin home shopping stuff yesterday and you ain't gonna believe what she brought me. I said, OMG, wait'll Sean sees this. It's the 2011 "Sky's the Limit" Hallmark Christmas ornanment. I remember you tearing one down and posting pics. The detail in these ornaments are too cool...enjoy...

Don
Let's put that little hook on the bottom and put her on the highstart!
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Quote:
Hey Jack,
I noticed on your Duet and other prior design/builds that you always use pull string for your spoilers. I like this setup also and wonder what the pluses are for you?
Pluses... No weight added behind the CG of the wing... (flutter prevention)... Weight added is in the nose... Once set up (which is easier than adding 2 servos) I never have to adjust them. Since I use 1/16 copper tubing soldered onto 1/2A stainless steel U-Control flying wire (stranded), I can mark them and cut them flush with the dual E-Z connector and they hook up the same every time. I never have to fiddle with anything.

Watch the Duet thread for a detailed installation with lotsa pics...

One more plus... I'm old... and set in my ways... and don't have to learn any new tricks...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:46 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
Let's put that little hook on the bottom and put her on the highstart!
LOL, I can picture that, Dan . It would be more like a little pot metal projectile buried in someone forehead . I would think they'll be coming out with a sailplane ornament one of these days.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Pluses... No weight added behind the CG of the wing... (flutter prevention)... Weight added is in the nose... Once set up (which is easier than adding 2 servos) I never have to adjust them. Since I use 1/16 copper tubing soldered onto 1/2A stainless steel U-Control flying wire (stranded), I can mark them and cut them flush with the dual E-Z connector and they hook up the same every time. I never have to fiddle with anything.

Watch the Duet thread for a detailed installation with lotsa pics...

One more plus... I'm old... and set in my ways... and don't have to learn any new tricks...
That's one of my pluses too, never have to fiddle with them and they open the same amount at the same time. I'm interested in your seeing your terminations close up. I'll wait to see on your thread .

Cheers....
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:04 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,848 Posts
Jeez, what happened to this thread? No posts for 2 days, tiltle changes
Come on, let's have some action Those of us sitting at the keyboard instead of the building board need a fix
Dave
Guilty as charged
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:11 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Well Dave, been working my tail off trying to get other projects out of the shop. Hope like hell to get a OIII build started in the next week or so.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:15 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,206 Posts
Ive been lurking for a while but you've flushed me out with that last post ans new thread title

I just recently finished off an electric Mirage. All up weight is 32-33 ounces.

and....

I have a Houston Hawk short kit and a Bubble Dancer short kit on order.....

Here are a couple of shots of the Mirage before the fuse was finished and with the old motor.

MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Oh crap,

DonW, I accidentaly posted the post in this link over on TJs thread :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=155

Geez, maybe I should stick to a typewriter.