Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:09 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Besides, when I go to the great flying field in the sky I intend to pass them onto needy flyers, like my grandkids.
!
You givin away family members again Sean? I'll take two... could use 'em to help shovel this new snowfall

{hello, Steve} Still pedaling? You should be ready for the Tour de France.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Nov 05, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:30 PM
A great day is good lift!
United States, TN, Hendersonville
Joined Jul 2006
80 Posts
Need CF wood wing help!

Need help with adding carbon fiber to a new wood wing "Aquila" build Im starting. I want to increase wing strenght for zoom lanuches and reduce weight if possible. Anyone have any do's, dont's that they have experianced. Laminating, solid CF, sheer webs, replacing steel wing rod with CF, CF cap strips, etc.

Thanks for any help someone may have.
d_maroney is offline Find More Posts by d_maroney
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:38 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,447 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=20
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
IHAVAWDY,

Have you started your new Oly 3?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:01 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_maroney View Post
Need help with adding carbon fiber to a new wood wing "Aquila" build Im starting. I want to increase wing strenght for zoom lanuches and reduce weight if possible. Anyone have any do's, dont's that they have experianced. Laminating, solid CF, sheer webs, replacing steel wing rod with CF, CF cap strips, etc.

Thanks for any help someone may have.
Yup, what Wazmo said. That's what I was looking for when I read your post. If I'd read one post further I'd have saved some time.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:07 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Sean & LH

I just remembered seeing that some guys have flat sanded the bottom to a mirrior finish and it works a ton better cuz you get more feel in cutting the wood, have you done that trick to your plane?

I have two brands a Martor and a David.

G Don
Oh geez, my is no where near as safe as those. I've sliced the ever living crap out of my hands more than once being less than smart. One of my post-college roommates had a 25-size trainer. When he returned to Guatemala after his employer failed to renew his H-1 he left that model and its accessories to me. The Kraft AM radio was useless, the motor was seized and I had no interest in slimers but the flight box had some goodies in it. One of them was a Wil-Kro razor plane and the discovery of that tool lead me to build my Sophisticated Lady. So in a round-about way I owe electric helicopters for getting me back into RC and my old roommate for providing me with the tool to make carving the nose block on the Sophisticated Lady less intimidating and actually pretty fun. I think I'm going to go carve some balsa now, just for fun.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:25 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
IHAVAWDY,

Have you started your new Oly 3?
I'm bashin' & scratching this one out.(not that the original design isn't fantastic, because it is one of my favorites) Got everything layed out and cut, spars are carbon laminated and cured, ribs cut (3 sets), fuse is thinned and narrowed (from the original design). Still drawing tail & stab ( full flying, like the others I've built) nothing too exciting yet, I'm working on another woodie at the moment.... 5,000 sq ft log home for a lady clothing designer, so you can imagine all the change orders!!! Have you received your kit yet?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:49 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
My Oly III Fuselage and Tail Feathers

My Oly III Fuselage and tail feathers are taking shape.

I still have a little more shaping to do on the fuselage,and then the sanding.

I made the middle hatch removable and the tail feathers are removable. I drilled a hole in the nose to add weight. The servos are sitting in the the servo tray. They are not attached yet. I made a tray that goes behind the servo tray and will hide all the loose wireing and the Rx. My Rx has 2 antennas,one needs to run straight and one needs to turn 90 degrees to the staraight one.So I glued some 3/16" clear tubing to the bottom of the fuselage. One running straight down the fuselage and one curving ending 90 degrees to the other. I just slide the antennas in the tubes and put the Rx in it's tray.

This is fun!

Next week I'll get to sanding and and prepare it for some fiberglass.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:09 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
H2S: looks good, tail looks stout! I took the lazy approch and just covered the whole servo, reciever, wire mess with wood
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:56 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Looking good Eddie! Nice job on the contouring, it's a lot of wood to remove when you first start out. No mistaking that beautiful fuse for anything else but an OlyIII.

Have Fun!!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
IHAVAWDY,

No, haven't received the kit yet, but that's fine with me as I need to clean out my building room & get it in order first.

Please post your build pictures of your new Oly 3.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:19 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,998 Posts
Hi Ihava

After seeing your canopy area looking forward to seeing the whole plane, that trim work looks really cool.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:45 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Ihava

After seeing your canopy area looking forward to seeing the whole plane, that trim work looks really cool.

G Don
That's a photo of the existing O3 that I built a couple of season's ago, the new one is still stuck on the board and in my brain Don (sorry for the confusion)

* Jeesh Steve, startin to see what you mean by the "old guy" comment!

Just kidding Don, there's been a lot of Ray's Oly's posted in this thread and ya, I got some of that hair discoloration going on too,
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:08 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
You givin away family members again Sean? I'll take two... could use 'em to help shovel this new snowfall
Had a big clearance sale, down to one daughter. I can let her go cheap though. That is, cheap to purchase. Maintenance on that one is off the chart. NO warranty implied. Oh, and no refunds.

Check back in ten years though, Got a fresh crop of grand kids growing. Good, strong boys and girls, real snow movers. Should be ready to move to market around 2021. I'll even test drive all of them first with my riding mower, rakes, shovels and various other lawn tools.

seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:18 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Had a big clearance sale, down to one daughter. I can let her go cheap though. That is, cheap to purchase. Maintenance on that one is off the chart. NO warranty implied. Oh, and no refunds.

Check back in ten years though, Got a fresh crop of grand kids growing. Good, strong boys and girls, real snow movers. Should be ready to move to market around 2021. I'll even test drive all of them first with my riding mower, rakes, shovels and various other lawn tools.

LOL, ahhh future stocks, Smart, a guy needs to be diversified in today's market.... have to pass on the close-out special though...hope all is well