Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:29 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
Jeff,

Your piece of work is beautiful, in my book, there is nothing like the satisfaction that comes from creating with our hands.

I did a little messing about with your photo, hope you don't mind.

Ray
Sky Bench
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:14 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
I cut the sheeting parts and notice while cutting the trailing edges that the pieces going in the saw can be straight and as they progress thru the saw become bowed. This same thing happens to balsawood flat stock sometimes as it is being laser cut.
Ray,I think there's nothing that can be done about this issue. If the pieces were only a 1/4" wider, then I could cut them down. That's what I will have to do anyway with the stock from my LHS. If you went wider and had the builders do this then you might not be tossing away usable stuff...at least for the TE.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:34 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
After seeing your handy work on that eagle Jeff, I KNOW I want you to come down here and build for me.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:34 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Awww Come on Sean. It's just like doing any other type of wood working. There are tricks to doing it is all. To do that kind of stuff you just have to have several line drawings of the image (one for each type of wood) and a steady hand. Of course you go through X-acto blades left and right because you have to keep them super sharp.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,742 Posts
Jeff,

Wanna do a little inlay work for the sound hole of my next axoustic guitar?

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Hey Don. I just noticed your location. I used to live over in Irving back in the early 80s. I took a peek at the area on Google earth and man has that area grown! I don't remember that area being so built up! SO much for "Progress"

Jeff
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I've never done guitar bodies Jack but I have done a couple of fret boards. I get a lot of my stuff from LMI Inc http://www.lmii.com/ If you're haven't checked them out you should find them interesting.

Jeff
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:13 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Hey Don. I just noticed your location. I used to live over in Irving back in the early 80s. I took a peek at the area on Google earth and man has that area grown! I don't remember that area being so built up! SO much for "Progress"Jeff
You said it Jeff! I've lived in this area all my life. I lived in Irving for 18 years, graduated Nimitz High there. This area is busting at the seams, the traffic is terrible anymore. Bedford is a great place to live though with everything very handy and close by. I've got 3 hobby shops very close me..."Roy's Toys for Big Boys" freakin rocks .

P.S. your woodworking is absolutely striking. I have a great appreciation for detail work...very nice .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:40 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Awww Come on Sean. It's just like doing any other type of wood working. There are tricks to doing it is all. To do that kind of stuff you just have to have several line drawings of the image (one for each type of wood) and a steady hand. Of course you go through X-acto blades left and right because you have to keep them super sharp.

Jeff

The operative words there is "steady hands". I figured out a few months ago that when it comes to detailed work the rule of thumb for me is NO COFFEE! I've always wanted to try some inlay work. Really awesome.

Don, 3 (THREE) hobby shops close by? No sir, that would not work for me.

Progress: None tonight. Got sidetracked with contractors. I'll be back on her tomorrow night though. I promise Wylie!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
LOL Have you ever considered DeCaff Sean? It works wonders. I used to drink the leaded coffee all day but am slowly switching to un-leaded in the evenings.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:36 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Quote:
LOL Have you ever considered DeCaff Sean? It works wonders. I used to drink the leaded coffee all day but am slowly switching to un-leaded in the evenings.

I blend 50/50 and switched to caffein free diet coke (which tastes better IMHO) and it worked............well.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:55 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
I meant to post pics but the newfangled camera is being uncooperative today, must be the extra large full moon, or I may have to read all the instructions, or go to the Canon website or delete/reinstall the program......... Troubleshooting.... Some days I am not so sure about this hi-tech.....you start to feel like a Prisoner to your toys(HEH HEH)

Made the balsa/carbon sandwich spars, a bit tedious, mostly because my new oscillating spindle sander also acted up before I could use it to help sand them close to size. (Gotta be the full moon). The method described on the Charles River site works quite well to sand the spars to thickness. I am planning on beginning the wing construction soon, but I am a little gun shy after all the difficulties I experienced so far today. I am going to hang it up and try again later.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:55 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
GD,

Can you post a link to the particular Chales River article?

Sean
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
GD,

Can you post a link to the particular Chales River article?

Sean

Sean, looks like the site is being updated.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:45 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot
I meant to post pics but the newfangled camera is being uncooperative today, must be the extra large full moon, or I may have to read all the instructions, or go to the Canon website or delete/reinstall the program......... Troubleshooting.... Some days I am not so sure about this hi-tech.....you start to feel like a Prisoner to your toys(HEH HEH)

GD, you aren't alone, i spent the past few days trying to get used to my new Canon. We've just had the King tides of this year here, we weren't letting them go to waste. We even got a video of the Oly launching recently and other fun stuff, now to try sort it out with the editing software!

Warped wood, never goes to waste in my workshop sooner or later it has a use, and besides its a reason visit one of my most favourite places..
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Jan 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM.