HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
cq cq de kr4is
flexsphincter's Avatar
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
thank you for the info on how to run string through the tube.
SO Iwent and threw the Sagitta 900 today to check trim,,,well,, first throw with 10-15mph at my back the plane went over 100 yards at 3-4ft above ground and almost hit the fence at other end of field less i "nose" it down and land.... good so far,,,so i take the sagitta 900 and throw it into the wind with a very strong javilan throw,,,,, it went about 10-15 yrds at 6 ft,,,ok ,,yet bled speed fast ,,so i give it down,(speed) ,and then up to altimatly "pan cake" ,it,albeit on very soft moist grnd.....
.the wing popped off ripping the fuse, the rudder broke off taking with it the stabilizer section of vert stab...UGLY.
With all the repairs to it b4 me i think this fuse is shot...
i am amazed as to how fragile the fuse was, for, ive been threw much worse with sigriser100, gentle lady etc. ..,,well,,, this was the fastest wing ive tossed/flown, next to my slope soarers,, so im going to fit the sagitta 900 wing on my skybench modified sigriser 100,, ....yet,,, still a sad day.
again tnx for the string info,,but,,, now ill put servos in wing to make it easier
tnx
jeff
kr4is
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Lil Stinkpot's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Yeouch, Jeff! Sounds kinds like my day....


Today I went out for more training, and found out there at the field that I would be sharing my plane with my husband. He's only had a few minutes of stick time, and is still getting the hang of flying straight and level. (Yeah, OK, I'm still trying to go straight, but I'm at least past the dolphining stage)

I had to borrow a battery from another fellow, and it was much lighter than mine. It's also the first time it's been up after having to reattach the empennage. So, after adding a little more weight to the nose to make up for the smaller battery, I got her up in the air. She was sooo wiggly!

AFter I got the plane settled down a little, I wanted to experiment a bit, and see what it would be like if I moved the elevator throw in by one hole. When I got the plane hooked up onto the histart, I was told it would be Dory flying her. Um.... This is whn I should have been a little more firm, and said "No." But instead, I told him what I did, and that it would be VERY squirrely. He said "yeah, OK." Yeah, sure!

The plane wasn't up very long. Dory was having difficulty, and lost some altitude quickly. Then I heard Mr. Instructor take the plane. I looked up just in time to see the plane plant it, nose first, right into a jogging track. Hard, hard stuff. The bang was incredible!

The wing popped off, and saved some damage. The servos, however, were jammed way up front, and both formers, the ballast box, and a little of the hatch rest were blown out of the fuse. The nose block got scrunched a little, too. The wing took a little damage. That part is actually kinda funny. Rib numbers 9, 11, and 13 were cracked, but number 10 and 12 are fine. Go figure! The empennage, which I had just repaired this week, stayed firm. I knew it would.

This "interior redecorating" actually is good, for two things. I can now more the servos around a bit, perhaps even mount one forward of former number one. That would be very nice, allowing me to make a bigger, better ballast box. I also now have room to get my fingers into the spaces needed to replace my floppy plastic pushrods with CF rods. Nice! She'll be much better behaved after this fixit. If I find the time, I'll 'glass the nose a little, too. I have a boat FG repair kit just begging to be used.

I was kind of mad this afternoon, then I slumped into a really blue mood. Now, though still a bit grumpy, I'm feeling better.



Yesterday was a pretty bad one, too. I had signed up to teach a tie dye class, and only got three sign-ups. I didn't get enough orders to make up for the materials costs, and did it at a loss.

While sitting for two hours waiting for the ladies to come over to my table (it was a multi-craft event), I got B-O-R-E-D. I took a spare shirt and started doodling. Look below for the result. One of the SBSS club members said I should sell them. I'll go halfway, and offer shirts for only as much as it costs me to make them. (anyone interested, pop me a PM and I'll send you the prices)


OH! I found a name for my GL. I thought I already had one, but I found the real one up on the slope. I said she flew just like a hawk. The name? "Buteo". It's a kind of hawk, like red-tails and red-shouldered hawks.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Sep 19, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,106 Posts
Lil S,

That's some pretty fancy knot tying, to end up with the image of an aircraft dyed into the cloth afterwards. You must be great at oragami and balloon animals.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:53 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Yeouch, Jeff! Sounds kinds like my day....


Today I went out for more training, and found out there at the field that I would be sharing my plane with my husband. He's only had a few minutes of stick time, and is still getting the hang of flying straight and level. (Yeah, OK, I'm still trying to go straight, but I'm at least past the dolphining stage)

I had to borrow a battery from another fellow, and it was much lighter than mine. It's also the first time it's been up after having to reattach the empennage. So, after adding a little more weight to the nose to make up for the smaller battery, I got her up in the air. She was sooo wiggly!

AFter I got the plane settled down a little, I wanted to experiment a bit, and see what it would be like if I moved the elevator throw in by one hole. When I got the plane hooked up onto the histart, I was told it would be Dory flying her. Um.... This is whn I should have been a little more firm, and said "No." But instead, I told him what I did, and that it would be VERY squirrely. He said "yeah, OK." Yeah, sure!

The plane wasn't up very long. Dory was having difficulty, and lost some altitude quickly. Then I heard Mr. Instructor take the plane. I looked up just in time to see the plane plant it, nose first, right into a jogging track. Hard, hard stuff. The bang was incredible!

The wing popped off, and saved some damage. The servos, however, were jammed way up front, and both formers, the ballast box, and a little of the hatch rest were blown out of the fuse. The nose block got scrunched a little, too. The wing took a little damage. That part is actually kinda funny. Rib numbers 9, 11, and 13 were cracked, but number 10 and 12 are fine. Go figure! The empennage, which I had just repaired this week, stayed firm. I knew it would.

This "interior redecorating" actually is good, for two things. I can now more the servos around a bit, perhaps even mount one forward of former number one. That would be very nice, allowing me to make a bigger, better ballast box. I also now have room to get my fingers into the spaces needed to replace my floppy plastic pushrods with CF rods. Nice! She'll be much better behaved after this fixit. If I find the time, I'll 'glass the nose a little, too. I have a boat FG repair kit just begging to be used.

I was kind of mad this afternoon, then I slumped into a really blue mood. Now, though still a bit grumpy, I'm feeling better.



Yesterday was a pretty bad one, too. I had signed up to teach a tie dye class, and only got three sign-ups. I didn't get enough orders to make up for the materials costs, and did it at a loss.

While sitting for two hours waiting for the ladies to come over to my table (it was a multi-craft event), I got B-O-R-E-D. I took a spare shirt and started doodling. Look below for the result. One of the SBSS club members said I should sell them. I'll go halfway, and offer shirts for only as much as it costs me to make them. (anyone interested, pop me a PM and I'll send you the prices)


OH! I found a name for my GL. I thought I already had one, but I found the real one up on the slope. I said she flew just like a hawk. The name? "Buteo". It's a kind of hawk, like red-tails and red-shouldered hawks.
It's all about learning the basics. Although I gotta say I'm shocked the GL uses balsa formers. I would of expected light-ply.

One AWESOME video I recommend is 'Performance Tuning for Gliders' by Paul Naton of Radio Carbon Art.

Many basics are covered in the video and MANY helpful hints are in there to be found. It's great viewing when it's cruddy to fly.

-Sean

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:57 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Lil Stinkpot's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
This being my first, I didn't think twice about balsa formers. No worries, I will make them better, stronger-- I got the technology!

I'll be posting more updates later, it's very, very late now.
Zzz Zzzz Zzzz zzzz zzzzz!

Oh, yeah. That video IS definitely on my "to buy" list. I'm going to get the Old Buzzards book too.



SH, that's a trade secret. If I tell ya, I'd hafta kill ya!

Actually, it's not knot tying at all. You draw out a simple outline, sew a running stitch in strong thread all around it, pull it tight, and dye it like that. Easy peasy!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:54 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
I've gotta say in all honesty it's great to see a woman interested in RC flight. And no, not for the "oh look, a chick flying RC!" novelty factor; But rather out of a genuine sense of delight that someone from the fairer sex actually 'gets' what we see in it and doesn't deride it as a waste of time.

Of course there have been many women interested in and pursuing careers in aviation for quite a while now, but it's nice to see some taking their love of flight to the smaller scale side of things.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Lil Stinkpot's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
I've gotta say in all honesty it's great to see a woman interested in RC flight. And no, not for the "oh look, a chick flying RC!" novelty factor; But rather out of a genuine sense of delight that someone from the fairer sex actually 'gets' what we see in it and doesn't deride it as a waste of time.

Of course there have been many women interested in and pursuing careers in aviation for quite a while now, but it's nice to see some taking their love of flight to the smaller scale side of things.

I really doubt anyone would say that if they saw me out there. I'm hardly "chick" material.

I do seem to get that a lot, though. It's fun.



I'll have the GL assembled soon. I'm not sure when, exactly, but I hope by this weekend. Otherwise I'll have to use a club trainer again. Hmm.... Maybe I will anyways. I hear there's a BOT and an Oly of some sort in the hangar, as well as a Radian.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Sep 19, 2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Whoops. Quote's on the bottom.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:35 AM
≡LSF8067≡
dwells's Avatar
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hey Stinker! Sorry to hear of the GL crash but looks like it could have been a lot worse. Pretty sturdy plane if that's all that happened. I'm with Froggy about the formers. Had no idea there was any 2m plane out there with balsa formers. May not be a bad idea though aft of CG.

BTW, very cool shirt!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:30 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Lil Stinkpot's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Thanks! The shirt is a hit here at work. So far, I have requests for four shirts. Two more and it's a "GO" to make them.

I'm going to beef up that former, and make it out of plywood. It's what holds my wing on! I'll also put in a couple..... Gussets? A couple little triangular bits of wood in front and back of the former to really hold it in place. Hopefully I can cqueeze a servo up front, then I can make a bigger, better ballast box.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Thanks! The shirt is a hit here at work. So far, I have requests for four shirts. Two more and it's a "GO" to make them.

I'm going to beef up that former, and make it out of plywood. It's what holds my wing on! I'll also put in a couple..... Gussets? A couple little triangular bits of wood in front and back of the former to really hold it in place. Hopefully I can cqueeze a servo up front, then I can make a bigger, better ballast box.
Now you're learnin' !!!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
292 Posts
You are right, Lil Stinkpot, 'gussets' is the word.
I've been busy with pen and paper, and a calculator. It might be possible to build the rather skinny glider I asked about yesterday, but it will be for fair weather only.
Take a look at this first sketch. The squares are 100 millimetres. (Approx. 4 inches)

It's late night here, so good night!
sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:46 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Lil Stinkpot's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
Now you're learnin' !!!
Yup!

I prefer to do most of my learning here or in books, reading up on tips, tricks, and lots of what not to do. There are always gaps to fill.

The Spirit I'm working on has been mostly assembled by someone else; I hope It flies well. The BoT, on the other hand, will be all mine, just like the GL. This one will be GOOD, with all the experience I'm getting with the GL. For starts, I will be buying better wood than the balsa X oak that came with the kit. Just you wait!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Sep 19, 2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Dumb phone
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Yup!

I prefer to do most of my learning here or in books, reading up on tips, tricks, and lots of what not to do. There are always gaps to fill.

The Spirit I'm working on has been mostly assembled by someone else; I hope It flies well. The BoT, on the other hand, will be all mine, just like the GL. This one will be GOOD, with all the experience I'm getting with the GL. For starts, I will be buying better wood than the balsa X oak that came with the kit. Just you wait!
I would really suggest a Skybench Olympic II after your Gentle Lady. Easy to build, a lot better flying plane, durable, etc. Sell the BoT kit.


http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:17 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Lil Stinkpot's Avatar
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
I would really suggest a Skybench Olympic II after your Gentle Lady. Easy to build, a lot better flying plane, durable, etc. Sell the BoT kit.


http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html
Nuh uh!!!

I won that fair and square in a contest of wills between my husband and I.

An OlyII is on Hubby's "to buy" list, and an OlyIII is on mine.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Nuh uh!!!

I won that fair and square in a contest of wills between my husband and I.

An OlyII is on Hubby's "to buy" list, and an OlyIII is on mine.
Ahh, gotcha. Didn't know you guys were in it together. Then he should most definitely get the Oly II and you two can take turns flying the different planes.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP ME!!!< I think I'm getting addicted to cutting foam!!! slowflyer Foamies (Kits) 7 Feb 21, 2011 12:58 PM
I'm Getting my FiXX Craig558 Foamies (Kits) 6 Mar 18, 2002 10:40 PM
looks like i'm getting a piccolo, any advice? cheapflyr Electric Heli Talk 13 May 10, 2001 08:34 AM
I'm getting worried SchiessCo Electric Plane Talk 1 Apr 21, 2001 08:11 AM