Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
Service First
United States, CT, Torrington
Joined Feb 2006
187 Posts
I use the Sullivan cables, the plastic tubes are already installed in the fuse, I just have to insert the cable and solder on the ends.

In your case doing a referb, I would use something like the Dubro gold-n-rods, you can just drill some 3/16 holes and fish them through with a coat hanger. You need to secure the outer tube best you can to prevent flex.
johnfh is offline Find More Posts by johnfh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I was wondering the same question when building mine. The instructions didn't even mention the pushrods until after the fuse was closed up. I'm glad I read the book through, then tossed it (at least when it came to the pushrods). I used Gold'N'Rods, and anchored them inside the fuse at the formers to keep them from banging around. There was no WAY I would have used the balsa sticks with bits of wire glued in.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:27 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Actually the sticks work well. Thermally stable and the way it was done for a long time. A little heavy though.

On the housings: You need to be sure they are really nailed down the length. Any movement will result in slop.

On rudder I'm strictly a pull-pull guy. Almost zero weight.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:15 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Guys

Its a sad day for all flyer's and the people who lost their lifes and were hurt at Reno on friday when the P51 went in.

Too bad that is the down side to the racing game, looks like he had a airframe failure some how and lost control and at that speed there is not much the pilot can do just try to get it away from the people if you can in a few seconds of time that you have.

Have to say a prayer for them all.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:38 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,220 Posts
Yeah, Don. My deepest sympathies go out to all who were affected by this tragedy.

I will be interested in the investigation. One bystander said something about seeing "pieces flying off" the airplane, but it wasn't clear if she was talking about before or during the crash. The only thing that looks relatively certain at this early stage is there was SOME kind of failure to result in that kind of loss of control.

Lay a wreath at Reno for Mr. Leeward.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:14 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Sad day. It's almost amazing that even more people weren't hurt. Investigation may never determine what happened. I met Mt. Leeward once about 15 years ago. Very nice person. Prayers for everyone.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,220 Posts
KOLO TV, out of Reno, is showing pictures showing the elevator trim tab in the process of leaving the plane and then gone altogether. Some people have commented it doesn't seem like enough to cause a crash, but screwing with the trim at 300+ miles per hour, a few hundred feet above the ground, it doesn't take much. It's just about 9/10ths of a mistake too low.

N'O
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:09 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
I was looking at a blog and the guy talked about the aileron not returning to center, one other guy said he was 50 feet away he said they had box seats in front of the grandstands and it hit in the box seats.

It looked like a straight in path witch saved a lot of people compared to coming in in a slide angle that would have been a lot worse.

Like you say Owl they are right on the deck and have no time & space to recover from a small bobble of any kind, i just hope they keep the races going and not have to shut them down.

G Don
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:23 AM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
i thought someone asked for pics of the sagitta 900 given to me, with out the canopy,so heres the pics,, Also im still building olly2s need electronics and covered, for maiden.
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Yeah, the trim tab was definetly off before it hit. Tons of pressure on that elevator. Trim tab departing would be plenty enough to throw it around and too low to recover.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,220 Posts
They would never let me fly "real" airplanes, but that didn't stop me from reading, and learning. Reading comments now, in many places, from many non-pilots, or just .. well... plain old dumbs... is very upsetting. People who don't know what they're talking about should keep their mouths shut.

Like the nitwit who said "That little piece just keeps the plane level. It couldn't cause a crash!"

Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:37 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
I just saw one guy on the tube that was in the stands and said that it did roll over and went in inverted, so it might have had a stuck aileron.

G Don
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:00 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,123 Posts
I noticed in the videos that the tailwheel was also extended, which is definitely abnormal, suggesting some problem in the tail.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:07 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
I just saw one guy on the tube that was in the stands and said that it did roll over and went in inverted, so it might have had a stuck aileron.

G Don
I think I solved it:

Everything is pointing to a mechanical failure in the elevator control system; causing a hard pitch-up, subsequent loss of the trim tab (inconsequential.) The high G-loading, perhaps in the 8-10g range caused the tail wheel to deploy. Pilot nearly instantly blacked out and the aircraft continued through the pitch up. The aircraft naturally torque rolled over the top and went hard in with pilot still incapacitated. (Seen in still photos, the pilot's head/helmet isn't visible, ie. slumped over) There was no effort to control the aircraft after the initial violent pitch-up. Basically is was pure luck that the aircraft hit where it did. There were no heroics on the part of the pilot, just a complete accident / tragedy.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:56 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Yeah, I guess we shouldn't be speculating but it does point to elevator problems.

You're right Owl. I've been around my share of crashes and the speculation doesn't do a thing, especially for the pilot.

Lost another one today. One of the Trojan Horsemen in W Va.