Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:48 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,234 Posts
Sort of on-topic: Bein' an old freeflight guy, I've done a few stick-'n-tissue covering jobs with dope. Those of you as old as I am may remember you had to paint the frame with a couple of layers of clear dope, which was what the covering then stuck to. I thought more than once that I wished nitrate dope came in the spray cans, instead of colored butyrate dope. (Rubber guy here, so "fuel-proof" didn't matter.) Then I could just spray the frame instead of painting it, and there would be the added idea of being able to color the frame with the dope you have to have on it anyway.

With the better modern transparent coverings, I've considered painting the frame and then covering with clear covering, so you get all those lovely bones showing through. I've even considered going back to a really old freeflight technique and actually just dyeing the wood used for ribs and such. (Soak in dye water overnight.. or a day or two. When dry, added weight is negligible and much less than paint. )

I'd like to do that with a smallish glider, like a Mimi, Bug or Quick Flick.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:31 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Yep, I see a lot of avatars that I can't make out. Old eyes I guess.

Hey, anyone within driving range of Mobile, AL needs to make it to TJ's (Tango Juliet) sailplane fly-in. Coming up quick. We really need to show support for him and his efforts.
I'd love to go but its far enough that I would have to have a 4M competition sailplane to justify the cost of driving and hotels to not come home with a trophy. Did I mention it was red?

I know Biloxi, MS is right at 12 hours from here when pulling a Mazda RX-7 behind my truck. I suspect it is about the same when I'm not pulling a RX-7. The RX-7 was not red though.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:50 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Very, very, very visible.
I spent a lot of time reading.... Hey! It was THIS thread that I got most of my color ideas from. The violet is really a compromise. I REALLY wanted to use that beautilicious plum purple from Ultrakote, but it only seems to come in "light". Too light for a GL! I was kinda in a hurry, and UK didn't have two rolls of blue, so this is what I got. It fits! The clear panels are UK lite, but that's OK, it's at the tips. I had no problem seeing it last Sunday, that's fer sure!
I've been thinking about that since I saw it on your build thread. I think I'm going to re-cover my 2M Chrysalis wing tips and do the same thing. I know the local hobby shop (LHS) has clear EconoKote and trans red which should be nice with my red and white scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Shoot, Dwells. I didn't see your video until this morning! I missed a whole day's worth of posts!

Good tip about not letting the magnets actually contact. If you're using small rare-earth magnets (neodymium) you may find that the force to get them apart once they are actually in contact is considerable, and requires a hefty servo!

Nightowl
I too decided quickly that two magnets in contact would be a bit much for spoilers but of course the work great for hatches. On my spoilers I use one magnet and a old snap-off utility blade or a u-shaped piece of piano wire epoxied to the spoiler. I keep the magnet in the stopper. My spoilers retract with authority and haven't popped open on me yet. So far, so good.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:09 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Hi Stevo

How much Bum time you got left to do before you get back home, have not seen any pics in awhile of your countryside.

Dw sure did one hell of a job on his new bird i'am impressed with the fit of those spoiler blades that gap is just a few thousand's. i think DW is a machine shop guy on the side as he is flirtin with machine shop specs fitting those blades!!

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:28 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
I'm almost there Stever! I'll post some pics today of the assembled bird. She'll fly this month...I don't want you to pull the thread .

Owl-
Do it! I would love to see some FF stuff! Could you use just clear spray poly-u over the dyed wood? I've never seen a model with dyed wood before. Pics?

G Don-
I was in production manufacturing for 23 years at the same company before the Chinitos ran us out of business. Yup, all CNC gear. I programmed, operated and maintained all of it. Mostly drilling gear like this one. Linear scale positioning within .0001" over 24", 110,000 RPM air bearing spindles. You should hear a spindle fail when the bearing punches through .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:49 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Dw i could tell you was a machine guy with those fits being tits it is a life long deal fitting everything just perfect, can't fool these old eagle eyes as i do the same thing and it drives me nuts being this way but too old to change now.

Owl did you see that modern looking E bird that was all black & grey - clear and orange trim, it was flat ass cool looking i asked him how he colored all the wood black and he used a magic marker and said he would never do that again after it was all built trying to get down into all those little places. I was thinking about it too and not sure how the glue would hold after you dyed the wood first, also he had a lot of carbon too L.E. T.E. and half ribs i think he was from Belgium i think i saved the link will try to find and post it. If you dyed the wood first then the glued area's would be shinny i think and the rest of the wood would be flat and that might be odd looking, i was trying to come up with a way to spray the final frame work with a light waterbase but it might not stick to the glue or cover too well either i guess that is why you don't see any planes that way but it would look very cool if we put our heads i'am sure we can come up with a plan for a way different look.

G Don
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
this has no wood in it, but it is a lot of fun! I was the tow pilot

Fun Cub aero tows an Easy Glider (3 min 39 sec)

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:38 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Sort of on-topic: Bein' an old freeflight guy, I've done a few stick-'n-tissue covering jobs with dope. Those of you as old as I am may remember you had to paint the frame with a couple of layers of clear dope, which was what the covering then stuck to. I thought more than once that I wished nitrate dope came in the spray cans, instead of colored butyrate dope. (Rubber guy here, so "fuel-proof" didn't matter.) Then I could just spray the frame instead of painting it, and there would be the added idea of being able to color the frame with the dope you have to have on it anyway.

With the better modern transparent coverings, I've considered painting the frame and then covering with clear covering, so you get all those lovely bones showing through. I've even considered going back to a really old freeflight technique and actually just dyeing the wood used for ribs and such. (Soak in dye water overnight.. or a day or two. When dry, added weight is negligible and much less than paint. )

I'd like to do that with a smallish glider, like a Mimi, Bug or Quick Flick.

Nightowl
Dooo eeeet!

Heck, I might try that on my next Guilows model.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:42 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Done!

Well, I've felt like a kid at Christmas this weekend. Finally got all the bits and bobs together for the first time. Wow, this a big plane! I put it together in the house and barely got it out . I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, but it has to fly too. Everything fits and measures well, surfaces move and center perfectly. Now, I'm gettin butterflies thinking about the maiden .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:02 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Well, I've felt like a kid at Christmas this weekend. Finally got all the bits and bobs together for the first time. Wow, this a big plane! I put it together in the house and barely got it out . I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, but it has to fly too. Everything fits and measures well, surfaces move and center perfectly. Now, I'm gettin butterflies thinking about the maiden .
Don,

You did one amazing job building that.......even if it did take you a couple days longer than everyone else. It was definately worth the wait. If it flies half as good as it looks,all the mouldie guys will be trading in their mouldies for OlyIII kits.

I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.

Oh,those butterflies will go away once that thing goes up and starts soaring with the Eagles.

You need to photo that and frame it in your office.

Looking forward to your maiden report.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:10 PM
retrocopter
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined Jul 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
I'm almost there Stever! I'll post some pics today of the assembled bird. She'll fly this month...I don't want you to pull the thread .

Owl-
Do it! I would love to see some FF stuff! Could you use just clear spray poly-u over the dyed wood? I've never seen a model with dyed wood before. Pics?

G Don-
I was in production manufacturing for 23 years at the same company before the Chinitos ran us out of business. Yup, all CNC gear. I programmed, operated and maintained all of it. Mostly drilling gear like this one. Linear scale positioning within .0001" over 24", 110,000 RPM air bearing spindles. You should hear a spindle fail when the bearing punches through .
cool any cnc machines for sale?lol i love them!
Marty7n is offline Find More Posts by Marty7n
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:10 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
Quote:

SWEEEEEET, go fly it! nice job!
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi-Start Man
Texas Panhandle
Joined Dec 2004
101 Posts
Don that is a Very Nice looking sailplane. Should fly very well. Good luck with your first flights and the OLY III. I have always liked the looks of the OLY 99, OLY II, and the OLY III.

Finally received about .25 of rain this weekend and the high Sunday was 70 degrees. Much better than a high of 95 to 100.
A.B.
olyman is online now Find More Posts by olyman
Last edited by olyman; Sep 05, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:10 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Wow way behind on these conversations.

Don, the OIII looks fantastic! Now get out there and fly it!
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:19 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
DW very nice and you will really like your big floater as they are magic in slow motion!!

Have Fun !!

G Don