2,844 Posts
Now, that's a bench!!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:47 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
That's pretty much identical to mine as far as construction goes. Works perfect and stays flat.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
I'd love to have one, Sean, but I don't have the tools to build one the way it needs to be built.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:34 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,423 Posts
I built a smaller, 2' X 4' torsion box with a table saw, chop saw, and brad nailer. You could get by with just the table saw. I used the table saw (with the blade lowered and fence removed) as my flat reference surface, after checking with a straightedge.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Last edited by Wazmo; Jul 26, 2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added photo
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,780 Posts
My table top is laminated 2.5" maple... and is 5' X 6'. I use 3/4" birch ply on top of that and have never had a warping problem. If it needs to be flatter'n that, I ain't gonna build it...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I'd love to have one, Sean, but I don't have the tools to build one the way it needs to be built.
Jeeez, Don, Think outside the box man! Do like I do..............

Visit friends with the tools you don't have and look morose and downtrodden till they beg you to use their stuff just to get rid of you.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:48 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Here's a couple of shots of mine. Size is 24" x 84" for this one.

Only tool I don't have that I used on this is a power planer. Probably could have used my table saw with a fence to do the same thing.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Now that's what I need!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Man, you guys work way to hard just go to the local industrial surplus store, $50 for a 36"x84" lab grade workbench, 1" laminated top

Al

yeah,yeah, I know it's a mess
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Sure , it's a mess. That's fine. But did you realize that you have a fullscale plane parked in the middle of it?!?!?!?! .
I'd be too terrified of crashing something that big to ever fly it. Or the Navy would use it as target practice! Those Pensacola training squadron guys are dangerous some times.

Ps-- i got buzzed by an F-16 up north of here today. The guys from either Montgomery or McComb, MS use Grove Hill Alabama as a training area. Dogfights every day! Pure fun!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Hoss, it's only 50%, flys like a GL, but the PUCKER power on tow is pretty big

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:14 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
Ps-- i got buzzed by an F-16 up north of here today. The guys from either Montgomery or McComb, MS use Grove Hill Alabama as a training area. Dogfights every day! Pure fun!
I don't know for sure what they are flying out of McConnell AFB, over by Wichita, but I assume they're F16s. They do dog fight practice over us, from time to time. Apprently when they get "hit" they release a flare of some kind. First time I saw them at night, with these triple-flare releases dripping fire down out of the sky, I thought I was lookin' at UFOs. I found an expended flare casing on main street one day. And once in a blue moon, about once a year on a hot morning, some jet jockey miscalculates his speed and we get a sonic boom. Most of the time, they are so high I can't even spot them, but once in a great while I will spot one chasing another one.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
You need to come down here. Their "hard deck" for dogfight practice seems to be right around 3000agl or so. After they fight, they like to swoop around real low and sight see at high speed. I'd hate to be a taliban puke on the recieving end of their ordnance. The first time I ever saw one up there, I was leaving a package at the door of a mobile home and there was this horrible scream coming through the woods behind me. I looked up (from UNDER the porch) just in time to see him blow through around 500 feet high. And every day there is something that looks like a Rockwell Sabreliner cruising along the same path at about that altitude and high speed. I'm guessing they're navigator trainees learning high speed/low altitude VFR navigation.
Sometimes, just sometimes, they make me think about giving up gliders and going for more speed. I quickly come back to my senses though. Lucky SOB's is what they are though. Coulda been me if I wasn't blind as a bat and permanently crippled and brain damaged from football.

Ps- no flares down here! Grove Hill is the buckle in the "Pine belt" and they're aren't taking any chances of burning down all that timber.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:29 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,171 Posts
When I lived in Topeka, KS, it was about 3 miles from the Kansas Air National Guard base. The KANG operates a fleet of KC-135 tankers. They did a lot of people flying to stay qualified and get their flight pay, and occasionally some rusty lieutenant would make a LOW pass over my house. Nothing like hearing all four engines being pushed full throttle as they realized there was a ridge to the west of me they were going to have to clear after they had just gone over my house low enough to smell the kerosene and count the rivets on the gear doors! I actually ran from the front yard to the back one day, fully expecting to see a crash first hand. Man, that plane was struggling! They cleared the ridge but were still so low they were almost immediately out of sight again behind it, and I waited a long, long time, expecting to see a fireball and a pillar of smoke. I finally spotted them again, making a dog-leg back to the airfield, 6 or 7 miles south of me and still WAYY too low, probably under 500 feet. (That's real low, for a plane the size of a KC-135.) By that point I had to figure they were fighting some kind of power problem, because a senior pilot there for a check flight would have taken over and had that plane at SOME kind of altitude. I never did see smoke from the airfield either, so apparently they got it down in one piece, but I'll bet that was a stinky cockpit when they got that one down.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl