Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:30 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Don, the canopy is balsa with 3/4 oz. glass and micro filler. The original canopy is clear like the Paragon but it wasn't with the airplane when we got it so I had to make something work.
Rock on brutha !!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:09 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Steve, the fuselage is 70" from the nose to back of rudder.

When I first started working on this I kept thinking the fuse was kind of ugly. Told myself that if I had built this from the get-go I would have used triangle stock and really rounded the corners off. Now that I am this far into it I like it. Looks really old school and that is as it should be.

Granada Don, 1 lb. chocolate egg with walnuts? If I am ever on death row that is what I would request as a last meal.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:55 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,473 Posts
Sean,

Your fuselage looks very nice. Would you be willing to share with us what you used for paint on the white part of the fuselage?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:22 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Sean,

Your fuselage looks very nice. Would you be willing to share with us what you used for paint on the white part of the fuselage?

Wayne
I'd rather not Wayne, it's embarrasing................

Actually it's just plain old rattle can Rustoleum. I'm too lazy to get my spray guns dirty for little projects. I used high build primer made by Ditzler, then Rustoleum primer over that then paint. On smaller stuff you can do just as well with spray cans. Hardest thing around here is picking days to paint. Humidity is the big killer. I would like to mention that regular Rustoleum works well but their "2X" series, purported to be single coat coverage does not flow well and blushes really easily. I used that for the white on this model (Paramount) and it blushed a little. It's more of a satin finish now. The regular Rustoleum usually comes out really glossy. In fact I have a moldie fuselage that I just put back together for a buddy (bad crash and previous owner butchered it) that was painted the same day and within an hour of the Pmount fuse and it's very high gloss and slick. I'll post a photo of it tonight to show the gloss comparison.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Where you been man? Call me!
I will call you when I get back in the country later this week.
burke757 is online now Find More Posts by burke757
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,960 Posts
Sean you might wan't to order two as they go pretty quick,Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:17 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Sean,

Wayne
+1 on a job well done.

+1 on technique. Curious minds want to know. These new-fangled pattern ship techniques boggle my MonoKote mind.

-1 on me not reading the whole thread before opening my dumb mouth and finding that my question was already answered.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:26 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757 View Post
I will call you when I get back in the country later this week.
I had a feeling that you had slipped out. Midsouths coming up, let me know what you are gonna do.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
OK, for contrast here is a shot of the fuse I painted with plain ole Rustoleum, the regular stuff. Shot within the same hour, on the same day and same humidity. Quite a difference. I'll never use that 2X stuff again.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:42 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,171 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do the Rustoleum rattle-cans come in a satin finish in anything but clear? (I actually would prefer a satin finish over shiny; despite being a Firefly fan!)

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:57 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
I honestly don't know Owl. Haven't checked. I do agree that the satin finish does look good on the right subject though. I gotta head to the paint sop tomorrow for work so I'll check it out and report what I find.

Edit: I went to their website and it looks like they don't have satin in the product I use which is labeled as their "Professional" line. I am guessing here but the satin stuff will probably work great if that's the finish you want. I like that finish too but on the latest projects I needed high gloss.

Krylon used to be the go-to stuff but I can't get it to dry reasonably hard. Now that I think about it I don't think I've even seen that brand on the shelves anymore, at least not around here.

For anything larger I use PPG or Ditzler products and spray with my guns. Also do that if I have an odd color I need to come up with. Can't beat the good stuff. I am thinking about refinishing all of the kitchen cabinets in my house in high gloss black. If I do I'll go with either Delstar or Shop-Line for a finish that the wife's long, extremely sharp fingernails can't touch.
Last edited by seanpcola; Apr 25, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:02 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,960 Posts
Hi Sean

The blue monokote is looking pretty glossy do you think a little polish will get the white up to speed, or maybe a light coat of gloss clear would go the job.

On my first Paragon that had a lemon yellow fuse i color sanded and rubbed it out and it was standing tall with those flat sides etc looking good.

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:47 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Don,

Yeah, I could polish it or repaint but I think I'll just leave it satin. I got the servo installation and control linkages all hooked up last night so I'm going to call it done. I want to get this thing finished so I can get on another project.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Since we're talking about painting I figure I better get it straight from the horses mouth. I've seen a lot of (mis)information on how to prep a model for pain(t) and what paints to use but many of these seem to be coming from pattern or warbird guys where they can just throw more power at it.

What are generally accepted techniques and product types to prepare a sailplane for paint? I think I'm going to be painting my sailplanes and electrics going forward rather than cutting trim from plastic film. At least I'm going to try it before I go nuts trying to get stupid film in the exact right place.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:36 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Slightly OT, but along the same vein: Which paint brands work well with nitro fuel? I have a sport model to paint soon.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet