Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Well Don W, I do have rather hard core taste in my music and it hasn't changed much since I was a teen. Most of my listening time nowadays is spent with the Blues but at least once a week I go back to my roots. I will crank up Sabbath, Trower, Zeppelin and such. I prefer most of my hard stuff to be the raw versions, not remixed or songs by bands once they got commercial. ZZ Top for instance. I have their early work, lots of live recordings but don't like them much after 1980 or so. It's like "if a Top song was popular on the radio I don't like it". I've also found out fairly recently that Gibbons has been doing a lot of Blues gigs with the band and also solo that are amazing.

Guess what I'm trying to say is I am probably too hard core for my age group. When I built the man-cave I really concentrated on insulation. Not just to keep the AC in but the sound too. As soon as I finished it I cranked the system up wide open, went outside and did a sound check. It passed, my fuddy-duddy neighbors can't here a thing.

Wife and I are at odds there though. She is Oklahoma born and raised. Truly an example of being Country before Country was cool. George Jones, Tammy Wynette and that bunch. I can tolerate her stuff when we are in the car but out of consideration I save my jammin' for when she's not around. She has asked me about my choices and says she can't understand why I am into it. I give her the stock answer: If you weren't there you can't understand. I get this look a lot: We went through VERY different teenage years.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,938 Posts
Hi Sean

In my skirt chasen days in the early 60's we would go to a club on Van Nuys Blvd called the Crossbow and have a beer and watch a just starting out Glen Cambell and then over the hill to west L.A. and pop into the Wiskey to watch Johnny Rivers , those were very cool nights and that is when Hollywood was still a neat place to cruise then all the werd'os hit and changed it forever what a shame.

Take me back to the Wiskey one more time as that was WAY COOL

I too have my cave insulated with a car lot on one side and law firm on the other so i can get it rocken pretty good in here too, so after 7:00 pm its rock & roll city all nite long.

Don

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
I have a good ole' boy and his uptight wife on one side and young couple that are very religious on the other. No criticism of any of them but they can't figure me out. They see me busting my tail in the yard and on the house and the workshop all daytime hours on weekends. Then at night, every night they hear small slices of blowout R&R when I open the doors coming and going and in between they see me carrying "toy" airplanes around. I don't have a fishing boat in the yard and my dog is not hunt-worthy. They just can't put the pieces of that puzzle together.

Hmm I just made that up....hunt-worthy. Very fitting in this neighborhood.

Glen Campbell? My wife would talk your ear off about that. She's stuck in the 60's and 70's Country scene. She went to OSU and actually has met and hung out with Garth Brooks and Reba McIntyre and has photos of her with them to prove it.........though she says those two are a little too Rock and Roll for her.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:12 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,647 Posts
How dare you say Jack isn't hunt-worthy!!! Poor little fella tries his hardest

And just for the record, I can't figure you out either Sean. I have NEVER met a Floridian that didn't drive like they were qualifying for the Indy 500. You are not a fast driver. I may be a bit biassed since I do drive for FedEx though.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
No doubt Jack can be quite predatorial and ruthless at times. Why, as I type this he has his eagle-eye firmly locked onto my plate of nachos. If I do not move slowly and deliberately he may well launch all 18 lbs. off the floor in one swift and violent move, knock the plate out of my hand and devour the whole dinner with a gnashing of teeth not seen since Jaws.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:35 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post

And just for the record, I can't figure you out either Sean. I have NEVER met a Floridian that didn't drive like they were qualifying for the Indy 500. You are not a fast driver. I may be a bit biassed since I do drive for FedEx though.

For the record: My physical address may have FL zip code but you well know I am from LA.*

My pop told me three valuable things for living in Florida when I was a youngun and I have lived by two of these my whole life:

1: Walk (drive) slow
2: Marry Rich
3: Park in the shade

(Screwed up on #2)

* Lower Alabama
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:36 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,938 Posts
In the early 50's we lived in East L.A. and in the nights way past my bedtime i would turn on my home made crystal set with a ear piece and listen to ' Old H.H. ' aka Hunter Handcock a local D.J. who played the rhythm & blues of the day. How cool was that.

Now about 60 yrs later right next to my house we have the Northridge State Collage and they have a radio station and on friday nights there is a young man who loves the early R & B and he has a 4 hour show i listen to and its just like it was way back when and how cool is this as he plays songs i have not heard in all those years.

I'am not to up on all the electric stuff nowdays can i buy a C.D. or a D.V.D. recorder that i can record his shows for safe keeping and play them back when i wan't to listen to the neat sounds while he still has his show on the air each week.

Thanks
Don
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:53 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,647 Posts
You peaked my interest Don. I did a quick Google search and found a web page you may be interested in or already know about. If you click the link at the bottom of the page, I believe you can sign up to listen to some of his old shows on line for $15/year. I didn't read the whole thing, but that's what it looked like. I'm originally from Memphis, so I'm a big Blues fan like Sean. Channel 74 on Sirius satellite Radio makes a bad day a whole lot better!

http://www.reelradio.com/rj/cruisin/cruisin59.html
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Sniff.... I'm not hunt-worthy... sniff... sniff... I'm crushed...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,938 Posts
Thanks Hoss

I took a look at the site and it had one for 59' and at the time i was going to high school at San Fernando high and Ritchie Valens had his band going good by then so the school would have everybody go to the gym and Ritchie and the boys would put on a show, and before i bought my 51' chevy i would ride the school bus and Donna would be on the buss as she lived here in Granada Hills too.

A very cool high school.

It sure hit us real hard when he was lost in the plane crash a very sad day at S.F. High

R.I.P. Ritchie

Don
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:55 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Well Don W, I do have rather hard core taste in my music and it hasn't changed much since I was a teen. Most of my listening time nowadays is spent with the Blues but at least once a week I go back to my roots. I will crank up Sabbath, Trower, Zeppelin and such. I prefer most of my hard stuff to be the raw versions, not remixed or songs by bands once they got commercial. ZZ Top for instance. I have their early work, lots of live recordings but don't like them much after 1980 or so. It's like "if a Top song was popular on the radio I don't like it". I've also found out fairly recently that Gibbons has been doing a lot of Blues gigs with the band and also solo that are amazing.

Guess what I'm trying to say is I am probably too hard core for my age group. When I built the man-cave I really concentrated on insulation. Not just to keep the AC in but the sound too. As soon as I finished it I cranked the system up wide open, went outside and did a sound check. It passed, my fuddy-duddy neighbors can't here a thing.
Sean, you and I are two peas in a pod. Yup, if the pictures on the wall ain't shakin, it's just not right. I've been bitched at all my life by neighbors, the cops and my sweetheart. I've got some store bought Pyle's on my patio by the pool that bring the outdoor concert sound home. I'm a fan of old school, big volume speakers too, you really can't find them anymore so I build my own. Since this is a woody thread, here's my last set that I designed and built, Inamed them Gemini...they will rock your world. 4 ohm, 10" bass driver, 10" passive radiator, 4" full range, 2" tweet. Have a great little program for figuring all parameters and volumetrics. My wife hates them, so do the neighbs .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,938 Posts
Hi Don

My Bud Bobby Carradine got a wiring plan from his bud Lloyd Baggs and we went to Speaker City in Burbank and got the components and we build me a pr 20 yrs ago and they are still hanging in there sounding good in my house front room , i have some from Denmark in the shop hanging from the rafters that a good but not like the home made one's we made.

Don
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
I hear ya Don, if you want anything done right, you have to do it yourself. This best store-bought speakers I ever owned were ESS Eclipse (also with a passive radiator) and Heil air motion transformers, they were 6 ohm and very loud. My cousin had a tall set from Norman Labs out of OK that were excellent also. I took design features from both and created these. They weight right at 100lbs each and rattle the walls pretty good.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,938 Posts
I guess you just set them leave them at that kinda weight , thanks for putting up the Eagle link was just looking and the other one flew in and the setting one took off boy the chicks are getting pretty big now for the Mama to cover all three up at a time so a bit of them is hanging out in the wind and last nite about 3" of snow.
This morning one of the chicks was tearing off some meat to eat for himself so they are learning the ways of fending on their own, pretty neat stuff to watch as you never get to see this live.

A few yrs back i had a Hummingbird nest in my orangetree along side of my driveway and the santa ana winds were really cooking and blew this little guy out of the nest right under my oil leaking Eldo setting in the carport, the mama was in front of the window diving down to let me know the baby was under the car so i got him out washed the oil off of him and put back in the nest well he was out 6 more times almost ran him over once but moved over not to hit a orange and missed him.
So i kept him in bag overnite and took him to the Wild life way station above San Fernando in the lower mountians and they raise them there and let them go when old enough, each spring a Hummer would hover around me for a few days and i wonder if it was him as i sure saved his bacon a few times in that week and it is one of the neatest things i have done.
I would hold him in my hand and his body was the size of a small marble with the small little eyes looking at me and pretty dark green feathers.
It was a good thing!!

Don
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:50 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Love the sound boxes Steve. I'm still assembling components for a really good system here. All of my equipment went under water during hurricane Ivan and was ruined. I didn't even try to replace the stuff till I got somewhere to play it.

Sounds just like my house, if the wife isn't pissed off it ain't loud enough. I think she acted relieved when we got back to the old place after the storm. She saw everything scattered on the floor and soaking wet and figured that was all over. Muhaaahhaaahhaaa (maniacal laugh) She ain't seen nothing yet.