Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:27 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
361 Posts
Just today I got a 50:02 minute flight with an old Paragon that came in the same lot as Sean's Paramount. This plane, probably some 35 years old, still has a Kraft sticker on the fin. It has more packing tape than Monokote on it, is wrinkled like a prune, but got a longer flight than any of the mouldies there today.

The old Monokote won't shrink anymore and is brittle as glass but the plane flies so good I hate to recover it. I got another Paragon in same the lot that has no covering. That one I'll do first. Hope it flies as good. Also got what I believe to be a 2m Pierce Arrow in the lot. It did a 24:31 minute flight on it's first launch in probably 30 years. Faster and more responsive than the Paragon. Whomever built these 4 planes did an excellent job.

As for the balsa subject I've gotten a pallet and a half of planks from Lone Star in the last year. The wood looks great, weighs from 5.5 to 14 lbs, has some nice 4X6s and 4x4s in it but mostly it is 3x4s and 2x4s. I ended up with a half pallet of 48" and a whole pallet of 42" (They were out of 48" at that time).

Balsa is being used up in shipbuilding probably more than anything else. I've heard those ships with the large round LPG tanks have balsa sandwiched between the inner and outer tanks. Whatever is happening to it I see the price continuing to rise so I stocked up. That stuff doesn't grow on trees you know !!!!

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
Just today I got a 50:02 minute flight with an old Paragon that came in the same lot as Sean's Paramount. This plane, probably some 35 years old, still has a Kraft sticker on the fin. It has more packing tape than Monokote on it, is wrinkled like a prune, but got a longer flight than any of the mouldies there today.

The old Monokote won't shrink anymore and is brittle as glass but the plane flies so good I hate to recover it. I got another Paragon in same the lot that has no covering. That one I'll do first. Hope it flies as good. Also got what I believe to be a 2m Pierce Arrow in the lot. It did a 24:31 minute flight on it's first launch in probably 30 years. Faster and more responsive than the Paragon. Whomever built these 4 planes did an excellent job.

As for the balsa subject I've gotten a pallet and a half of planks from Lone Star in the last year. The wood looks great, weighs from 5.5 to 14 lbs, has some nice 4X6s and 4x4s in it but mostly it is 3x4s and 2x4s. I ended up with a half pallet of 48" and a whole pallet of 42" (They were out of 48" at that time).

Balsa is being used up in shipbuilding probably more than anything else. I've heard those ships with the large round LPG tanks have balsa sandwiched between the inner and outer tanks. Whatever is happening to it I see the price continuing to rise so I stocked up. That stuff doesn't grow on trees you know !!!!

Rick
Hey Rick!

Again, thanks for the Paramount deal! However, you did hold out on me on the Paragons!!!

Just kidding.

You got some nice stuff in that "lot" purchase. I still mess with new stuff but I do love to fly an old, ratty airplane. They just fly better, don't they?

RE: Balsa and ship building. About 20 years ago I got an old building board that was about 3" thick, made butcher block style from end grain balsa. I was told it came from the Lady Lex and was a bulkhead that had been replaced.

On the Paramount: Got busy at the airport for part of the day but was able to get the inboard and outboard flap close-out pieces roughed in and the wing mount parts all cut out. Don't know how the original design was for wing to fuse mounting but this one now has a bolt on wing.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Last edited by seanpcola; Jan 23, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasThermalKing View Post
Seanpcola, I have 1/2 in. wingrods in several gliders, the others have tempered steel. Living on the coast of Texas with 90% humidity, I had to find something to protect all the different metal I had. Like lawn tractor decks, galvanized boat trailers, and the wing rods...to name a few.

Penetrol is a clear metal, or wood ...primer/thinner. It's often added to oil based paint to make brushstrokes flow out to a high gloss. It has UV inhibitors that help it last in the sun. I use it by it's self, as a clear metal protector. I can lightly brush any rust or corrosion, like on bolt heads to my John Deere engine. Blow off the dust and with a rag soaked in PENETROL,or a brush, just add a light coat. It drys to a very thin, clear satin finish. It's tough stuff.

It works on all metal types, even galvanized. I have a large sailboat trailer, that has to be completely submerged to lauch the sailboat. I wash it down after every use, but noticed a few days later there would be a white powder showing, all over the trailer where the galvanizing had reacted with the salty seawater. This was in 1984. I have used PENETROL to clear coat/seal the galvanizing eversense. The trailer and even the black steel springs, still look great. I only recoat every 2 years.

It's great for the drill press, shop compressor, bandsaw, table saw and stored saw blades etc. It being clear, your original paint that may have faded, will get the look and gloss of fresh paint. It's so easy to use...give it a try.

Got to go charge my woodie stuff...

John
Hey John,

Thanks for the heads up on Penetrol. I know what it is but never thought to use it that way. For my tool tables and blades I've been using a spray on products sold through Woodworker's Supply, can't remember the name of it right now. Penetrol is probably cheaper by a long shot.

At work I have a lot of equipment such as tractors, skid steers, excavators, implements and such that I use and maintain. I'm always fighting corrosion so I'm going to give that a try on all of it.

We have basically the same environment as you so this bit of info is well appreciated!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
361 Posts
Yea, I heard that from too, I think from Rae. They would sandwich those balsa butcher blocks between aluminum plates for bulkheads, saves tons of weight.

I'm glad the Paramount found a good home. I would have loved to have finished and flown it but I already have countless projects. It takes up a lot of room and I'd hate to pay for the half acre of Ultracote you'll need. Will be an impressive ship once you've finished it.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:54 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Rick,

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to cover this with. I have quite a bit of unopened Monocote that has been kept in the house and out of the sun. If' it's still good I'll burn up a lot of it on this project. Won't be able to cover it in the colors I'd prefer but at least it's free.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:04 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Reset
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:17 AM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Merlyn plans

Got my plans in the mail last week....Not sure I could complete a build with just the ribs....

I am looking to put a motor up front. ( Sorry guys ).

Waiting for my kit of parts.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin View Post
I am looking to put a motor up front. ( Sorry guys ).
But...but...but....

OK, We'll allow that here.

Been working on the Paramount a little this week. I had to remove some of the bulkheads, make new ones and reposition everything for the bolt on wing. I'll post some pics after I figure out where everything will end up.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
But...but...but....

OK, We'll allow that here.

Been working on the Paramount a little this week. I had to remove some of the bulkheads, make new ones and reposition everything for the bolt on wing. I'll post some pics after I figure out where everything will end up.
Not sure how else to get an 11 pound plane in the air...with out a big wrench...so...didn't think a hi-start was an option...My first pass is a an e-power 60 with an 18-10 prop...5 cell lipo for 68 watts / pound ?

I should / will start a build log once the kit comes....
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:11 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2 View Post
Reset
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:15 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Jeff, Sean-

I was just on RCG&S and my music is gone. Mr. G's is gone too. Did Eric pull it for copyright stuff or something?
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Motor..... What's that?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Motor..... What's that?
That's the part that turns the winch drum, for launching the plane.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,628 Posts
My motor is attached to a vehicular transporter which contains humans wishing to successfully study an assembelage of Balsa and Spruce within a content of vaporized fluid dynamics at density altitudes lower than ambient ground levels!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:20 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
Noticed that.....thought it was a good touch, but I guess it took up a lot of memory also....
Also, gotta keep the thread on top....no matter what the title is.
G
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2