Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
I assumed balsa was higher than ever because Lonestar (I think I think it was) burned down a couple of years ago and that resulted in scarcity that drove the price up. Apparently I may be wrong (write that down and remember the date). I've purchased directly from them before so it may be time to make a shopping list and place an order. The quality at the LHS was pretty darn good but I paid for it!

Well, among the other joys of living in sunny (and salty) Florida is corrosion. First thing I tried to do on the Paramount today was remove the flaps. Original builder used aluminum tube for hinge bushings and 1/16" MW for the pin which is 36" long. When the project was shelved he left the flaps in place. I have no idea how long this thing sat but assume years, maybe decades. There was no way to pull the pins without over stressing the wing and to top it off only about 1/8" of the wire was sticking out. I had to carefully solder a piece of brass tube onto that nub and spin it out with a drill set on very low speed and torque. It worked but ate up an hour or so.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I assumed balsa was higher than ever because Lonestar (I think I think it was) burned down a couple of years ago and that resulted in scarcity that drove the price up. Apparently I may be wrong (write that down and remember the date). I've purchased directly from them before so it may be time to make a shopping list and place an order. The quality at the LHS was pretty darn good but I paid for it!
Heya, Sean. Much as I appreciate (and buy from) Ray, down at Lonestar Balsa, their operation wasn't nearly large enough to affect global balsa prices. What is probably having a greater impact is the fact that balsa is actually just in higher demand for commercial uses than it used to be. (One large factor is use in wind turbine generator blade cores and the sudden HUGE increase in that market worldwide.)

Add to that the global fuel price market, where it just plain costs more to ship, to them, to you, to every distribution point along the line, and that compounding of a higher cost can result in significantly higher end-point costs as it gets added in at each step along the way.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:13 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Hey Owl,

Yeah, I know the energy/transportation issue has it's effect. I did think that Lonestar was a much bigger player than is the case as far as statewide prices go. I was thinking locally, not globally. As for the turbine blades I'm surprised to hear that. I would have thought those would be built with honeycomb cores or such.

I was able to date this Paramount build a little closer just now. I opened up the wing roots and found some Kraft Radio style connectors.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:03 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
I traded doing a tax return, for a pickup truck full of balsa... I'm set
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:18 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenatorLTFO View Post
I traded doing a tax return, for a pickup truck full of balsa... I'm set
My wife is an accountant and I'd trade her for a truckfull of balsa anytime...........

Just kidding honey
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:22 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,912 Posts
Hi Sean

When i joined the club in 80' a lot of the flyers were using Kraft stuff so i bought a 3 ch single stick for my Paragon and was a neat radio with a small plastic case , very light also.
Then a few yrs later they just were gone so about 85' i bought a Futaba set up, now i just got a HiTec laser 6 ch for my new Wood E Roadster.
Have you tried Specialized Balsa in Col. i'am going to get an order in on monday for the new plane plus they have round balsa dowel's that i can use in my new build to help hold the sticks & stab together at the tail end.
Did you find the thread on the fin - stab mod as that looks pretty good for making it bullit proof back there.
With the short run of the Paramount kits i think most of them were sold and built in the late 70's as the two i was telling you about were built before i joined the glider club in 80'

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Hey Don,

No, I didn't find the thread showing the Paramount stab mod. Can you post a link or such? I am really interested to see what was done.

Haven't tried Specialized Balsa yet but I'll check them out. Before I go ordering wood I have to decide what I need. In other words I have GOT to focus and make a list of which sailplane kits I want to get done and in what order. This Paramount sort of popped up and since it's so far along anyway I figured that I would get it out next. After that I have two Oly III kits on the shelf that I would like to get done as I've already built one, love the design but have yet to actually FLY one. I'll need a good bit of wood for one of the Oly III kits as I acquired it missing strip and sheet stock.

Ah well, so many cool woodies out there and so little time.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:41 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Well gents, I'm off to the LHS for supplies on the present project.

Don, when we both get done we'll just see who's sporting the biggest woodie.

You're on brother! If I read correctly, the inner panel wing timbers for the Merlyn are 40" stock. I'll use the full length and push it out another bay. That's gonna put this woodie out past 13' .

Quote:
Original builder used aluminum tube for hinge bushings and 1/16" MW for the pin which is 36" long. When the project was shelved he left the flaps in place. I have no idea how long this thing sat but assume years, maybe decades. There was no way to pull the pins without over stressing the wing and to top it off only about 1/8" of the wire was sticking out. I had to carefully solder a piece of brass tube onto that nub and spin it out with a drill set on very low speed and torque. It worked but ate up an hour or so.
Good piece of engineering there Sean, I bet it was a bit_h. Glad you got it out OK and it didn't gall up on you. I'll never put ali tube in anything.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:48 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasThermalKing View Post
Oh! My gosh...."dwells", Is that a "Woodie" you are holding in your avatar?

I just hate to ask.... John
Hey TK, yup woodie in the avatar. I like to have my picture taken with my woodie .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,769 Posts
sick puppies... all...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:24 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
sick puppies... all...

Yet you keep coming back for more Jack. Probably because this thread is sort of like a car wreck......you really really DON'T want to look..........but you gotta peek.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Don,

I think the aluminum bushing thing will work, I've done it plenty of times but the trick is these things don't need to sit for ages without even being actuated. I'm guessing the Paramount was built around 30 years ago due to those Kraft plugs. If it sat on a shelf, or in an attic most of that time galling is to be expected. When I do the final assembly on this one I'll use something like Never-Seize applied with a toothpick.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:48 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
GMTA! I'm off in a bit to my LHS also, for the very same things. If the soaring gods are with me, I'll be cutting and gluing by tomorrow afternoon. Prolly won't get too much done tho, since I gotta watch the Pack spank da bears.
The dances, sacrifices, and offerings to the gods seems to have worked! The workbench is ready, and soon I'll be underway on a Drifter II. For those interested, the build log is here.

Why a Drifter II you ask? Well, it's fun just for the nostalgia. And it's a woodie. And, although I generally feel bigger is better, unlike what some of my fellow woodie lovers have expressed here, I'm not obsessed with the size of my wood!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
The dances, sacrifices, and offerings to the gods seems to have worked! The workbench is ready, and soon I'll be underway on a Drifter II. For those interested, the build log is here.

Why a Drifter II you ask? Well, it's fun just for the nostalgia. And it's a woodie. And, although I generally feel bigger is better, unlike what some of my fellow woodie lovers have expressed here, I'm not obsessed with the size of my wood!
If it's big enough... no obsession needed...

LOL...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:19 PM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Try PENETROL...for long term metal protection.

Seanpcola, I have 1/2 in. wingrods in several gliders, the others have tempered steel. Living on the coast of Texas with 90% humidity, I had to find something to protect all the different metal I had. Like lawn tractor decks, galvanized boat trailers, and the wing rods...to name a few.

Penetrol is a clear metal, or wood ...primer/thinner. It's often added to oil based paint to make brushstrokes flow out to a high gloss. It has UV inhibitors that help it last in the sun. I use it by it's self, as a clear metal protector. I can lightly brush any rust or corrosion, like on bolt heads to my John Deere engine. Blow off the dust and with a rag soaked in PENETROL,or a brush, just add a light coat. It drys to a very thin, clear satin finish. It's tough stuff.

It works on all metal types, even galvanized. I have a large sailboat trailer, that has to be completely submerged to lauch the sailboat. I wash it down after every use, but noticed a few days later there would be a white powder showing, all over the trailer where the galvanizing had reacted with the salty seawater. This was in 1984. I have used PENETROL to clear coat/seal the galvanizing eversense. The trailer and even the black steel springs, still look great. I only recoat every 2 years.

It's great for the drill press, shop compressor, bandsaw, table saw and stored saw blades etc. It being clear, your original paint that may have faded, will get the look and gloss of fresh paint. It's so easy to use...give it a try.

Got to go charge my woodie stuff...

John

Quote:
Don,

I think the aluminum bushing thing will work, I've done it plenty of times but the trick is these things don't need to sit for ages without even being actuated. I'm guessing the Paramount was built around 30 years ago due to those Kraft plugs. If it sat on a shelf, or in an attic most of that time galling is to be expected. When I do the final assembly on this one I'll use something like Never-Seize applied with a toothpick.
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing