Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Sorry... I gotta go with Wylie on this one. That heat makes the air go up... ever once in a while, even faster'n when G-man is sittin' on the back of his tailgate tellin' flyin' stories... ... DOH!!! I just told visitors about Amarillo's "house" thermal...
What "house" thermal in Amarillo? If there's a house thermal, and it's always there, I could easily justify the 4-5 hours it would take to come fly in it!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:10 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Dang Wayne, you rock! Nice looking work! I've never built any plane from scratch. What's your rib jig made from and how did you cut it out?
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2004
221 Posts
Thanks for getting back on topic. I quit my daily read of this thread a long time ago because there was too much off topic stuff. Just recently checked back in.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a Mirage. Will shoot pix when the weather cooperates (See how that subject sneaks in? But that's all I'm going to say about it.). There is a Mirage thread somewhere in RC Groups and I'll probably post them there.

Also thinking about building a stretched Mirage from plans (3.5 meter, red). Will probably make main panel ribs with templates similar to Windependence's picture (but all the same size). But most likely will make the (tapered) tip panel ribs two at a time instead of tapered templates. My guess is that I can cut and fine sand them from paper patterns faster and just as accurate as the template that Windependence shows. Anyone have insight on this?

By the way Windependence, what material is your template; aluminum? How thick? How did you shape it?

Pardon me if this topic has been covered in previous posts (A search did produce some good info but not sure it was in this thread).

Riserflier

Yes, my old, reliable Riser 100 was my first woody. It was a great plane for me and I chose to use it as my alias. Was shot down by radio interference a few years ago and it landed in the river. Went for a swim and retrieved it. I could have repaired it but chose to build my first Mirage and retire the Riser. I kept the wing tips thinking I'd build a small, heavy sloper with them... yeh, sure... just as soon as I finish the other dozen projects.
Riserflier is offline Find More Posts by Riserflier
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,040 Posts
Hi Riser

The very good thing about stack sanding your tip panel ribs is the taper in your wing panel is dead on straight from the root to the tip , just make sure that the rib spacing is right on the mark. No chance of low spots like making them 2 at a time, i make my templates out of 1/16" alum sheet cut on a band saw and finished on a belt sander.

Hi Steve

I hope you a more than a few miles away from all that water seeing it on the tube it is hard to believe that many miles covered in several feet of water boy what a mess that will be for awhile. I had a 10 speed for some time too but after riding dirt bikes with a softer seat my fanny just never got used to that hard thin saddle so i can relate to your lower end being a little soar!!

I finally have a build log i started on Jan 1 starting off the new year right i will put a couple of pics here on your thread , the plane is the Wood E Roadster in sailplane talk.
I drew it up as a 12 footer but no time right now for a big build so i cut it down to 60" for a park flyer it has a bit of a different look with a open cockpit and 4 sticks on the back half of the fuse a little new and a little old mixed together.
So after 20 yrs it pretty cool to get to cutting some wood again , just getting my supplys in now and hope to start making the ribs next week i hope.
Merrill Brady just vacumed formed a few windscreens for me so i can cut them to size while waiting for my balsa to show up.
Well Steve stay fit and enjoy the rest of your very cool trip, later.

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:19 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,040 Posts
Roadster PIcs

Hi Steve and Woody guys

Here are a few pics of my little 60" Woody just starting the build but need to get the wood then i can really get going on this one off ship.
Oh i'am using a Mirage airfoil with a 4 panel poly layout with Paragon angles.

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Riserflier,

As Don put it this is sort of an "open" thread. Steve started it and as you can see by the post count it is extremely popular. Also mentioned is the fact that a lot of us are off on other projects (life?) so we're more or less just staying in touch until the building starts back up. Also as you go through this thread you will see that the actual building stuff ebbs and flows with the seasons. If you have any building going on please chime in and yep photos are the best!

As for myself I have several builds to get back on soon but have been spending my free time building my new workshop/man-cave. Plenty of woodworking there but won't add to anyone's sailplane building skills.

Hoss, As to the Sagitta suggestions, I have one..........Build something else!

seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:48 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
are foamy- stupid instant types allowed?
let me see- no Sagitta pics-- hmm I have one! with my first hemmoroid!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:47 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Not cool dude... this is a no naked men zone! LOL j/k

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:13 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
310 Posts
It's "Riserflier's" fault....

"Riserflier" wanted woody back on the thread, right away.

"Captain Canardly", has a large collection of woody in the picture to show him. Some I've never seen..... with glasses. Not the way I trim out my sailplanes, but I haven't tried everything.
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Last edited by TexasThermalKing; Jan 16, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:40 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
What about the angles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Cutting ribs is a new skill set for me so it has been taking a fair amount of time. I decided to use the stack method to shape them and I must say it went better than I had expected.
Wayne
Windependence and others who've done this,

Do you just ignore the angle this leaves on the rib edges?

Not only where the leading and trailing edges touch, but also all along the upper curved surface where cap strips or sheeting attach, the attaching parts won't sit flat on the rib edges.

I.e. the angle on the rib edges when you create them this way doesn't exactly match the desired angle you want when they're separated for gluing.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
I have done this many times... and I always sand that angle off with 320 grit paper (so it won't cut too fast) and a block...

Enjoy...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
RiserFlyer

With the plane I am working on, the stacked rib method was the only real option option. The drawn plans only had the root rib and the tip rib printed. A few of the guys participating in the group build had the ribs laser cut. I did not go this route. The template I used was fabricated for me by another of the group builders. It is made of lite weight steel, it is my understanding that he shaped it using some kind of grinding wheel. I did make my own templates from formica sheet stock. This worked rather well but if I were to do it again I would use aluminum as the formica has warped badly as the humidity has changed.

2Motheus

As to the bevel on the ribs, they need to be flattened down. My plan is to flatten the bottom of the ribs, glue them to the trailing edge and lower spar and then take a 3 foot straight edge and sand the upper airfoil level. For 100% contact with the upper skin the tops of the ribs should not be 90 degrees to the bottom anyway. I will do the same with the leading edge area of the ribs.

Here is a link to the actual build, the building starts on page 15.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270125

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:26 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
I do the same as Jack. I sand the angled edge down. Having said that, though, I don't do tapered wing plans that way nearly as often as I just use it to make the multiple ribs for the constant-chord sections.

For the ribs in tapered sections, what I do more often is make a copy (fold the plan up, lay it on a copier, and literally copy the rib patterns from the plans), then cut them out as "blocks," and use re-stickable glue stick to stick it to balsa and cut through the paper and cut the ribs out. Usually, you only have 10 or 12 ribs to cut out that way, and it's less trouble than making a template for the tip rib out of plywood, for me.

Nightowl

Edited to add: Windependence makes a good point. On a tapered rib set, the angle from the top of the highest rib to the top of the smallest rib is NOT 90 degrees to the perpendicular. There is a "dropping angle" across them, from root to tip anyway. A long bar sander used across the entire section so that the rib tops are in a "straight line" is the best way to go, I think.

N'O
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:11 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Just a point of clarification. The wing I am building is a constant taper wing from the root to the tip.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:19 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Got it. Thank you, all.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus