Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
No sweat... we even allow those that just want to build to comment here...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hi-Start Man
Texas Panhandle
Joined Dec 2004
101 Posts
Well--- I guess I would be qualified to make a comment or two. My first build was an OLY 88 (Oly 99 kit). Then a Windfree , Oly 650, Eclipse 78 -E. The first RC sailplane I saw was a Kurwi about 118 inch WS and a beautiful SP. Gerald Martin of Hereford Tx built and flew it. The kit was made in Germany had a FG fuse. I knew I had to have a RC sailplane after seeing Gerald fly his. Gerald Martin is no longer with us. As Mr. Ray Hayes knows I have several kits that I need to start building on one of these days.

A.B.

http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/s...viXre3c0Mx.jpg This is a picture of Gerald Martin and his Kurwi.

http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/s.../msg03091.html More information on GM and Kurwi
olyman is offline Find More Posts by olyman
Last edited by olyman; Dec 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Add info
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:13 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
A.B.

Thanks for the Kurwi pics/info. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm sure Don Wells welcomes another slow builder to the table. What are you going to do if someone pops for a woody event in TX ... Better get to building starting today .

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:00 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Hi A.B.,

Yes, it was interesting to read about Gerald's distance flights, very cool. Don't listen to Ray, he just likes to give me a hard time cause I've been working on one of his babies (OlyIII) for going on three years . Actually, I'm almost done .

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hi-Start Man
Texas Panhandle
Joined Dec 2004
101 Posts
Hello Ray and Don,
Have to take my old two dogs to the vet to get their shots and take care of their other problems. I will get back to you later. I also am very slow at typing.

A.B.
olyman is offline Find More Posts by olyman
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:04 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger there A.B. I've been in the computer industry for many years and still can type with only 4 fingers .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
mods are *****
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Wow, this whacky thread has accumulated just over 1500 picture attachments, outstanding! - our RCG webmasters and mods are kind and benevolent people.

This thread is made for guys like you, A.B. and olyman, so please feel free to use and abuse it at will.

Suffering the usual wood withdrawl symptoms here, dunno, there is only one thing for that...

But in the meanwhile Don, get that bird flying perdner, I need a fix of OlyIII action and you are just the man to present it, go baby go!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
Well... I've been working on my next Journey for 3 weeks and the wing's almost done... Oh, wait... Don said 3 years... my bad...
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
mods are *****
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Sigh, there was once a time when JW would pump out 3 woody builds in a week.... must have caught a touch of the Wells disease hey.

But all good things are worth waiting for and I'm looking forward to the next technical instalment on Jack's thread.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:22 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Sigh, there was once a time when JW would pump out 3 woody builds in a week.... must have caught a touch of the Wells disease hey.

But all good things are worth waiting for and I'm looking forward to the next technical instalment on Jack's thread.
It took me about 4 months to build my Sophisticated Lady and at least three months to build the Crysalis. I need to re-cover the wing though. I've come to remember why I like Econokote better than Monokote. I just seem to work better with Econo at getting everything smooth and conforming to curves. I still stink at it but I stink less with Econo.
Lacquerhead is online now Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:37 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
No sweat... we even allow those that just want to build to comment here...
Heck, they even allow me to comment here. I build and build, but never seem to finish (just start more projects!) and never get around to FLYING!

(If I don't get it covered in the next 3 weeks, 2011 is DEFINITELY the year I finish my Riser 2M!)

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:20 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Hey guys, I had to respond to a negative post about Sky Bench in the For Sale/Wanted pages. Someone wanted to buy a construction plan and I don't sell plans alone. So I thought it might be wise to post my reply here too.

I replied:

I sell only what is listed on my web pages and do not sell plans separate from the kits.

Sorry, but I just can't do it all ... I can't please everyone.

It is all about time, my time.

My day starts with answering email build questions from newbie woody customers and other questions and then on to the shop to sorting wood by grain and weight, cutting nose blocks and sheeting, etc., packaging and shipping. Yesterday, I made 15 OLY lll kits.

Somewhere in there, I spend time procuring supplies from vendors, receiving supplies, printing kit instructions, creating shipping forms and boxes, packing kits and delivering boxes to Fed Ex and USPS.

I love doing this, it keeps me goal originated, it is very good for my health to stay active, I fast walk an hour about 3 - 4 times a week and have pride in my designs and kits.

At the moment, I have over forty customers waiting for their kits. I'm waiting parts and supplies from my vendors, it's fun.

How would I fill an order for a construction plan ???

Pull it from a kit, forget I did and ship the kit without a plan, keep an extra supply of plans for all 30 plus of my kits, drive 22 miles round trip to have a plan printed ???

My waiting customers are shouting ... make my kit ...

So this is why I don't sell plans.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:09 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Good for you Ray!
And what do you do in your spare time?
G
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
EXACTLY why I don't wanna be in "the business"...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:45 AM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
Great response Ray.....I would not have been quite so polite but that is why I count beans and not sell retail.

Bill P
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52