Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Magnets sound like the way to build. Nice firm pressure and no pin holes. Yup, rare earth magnets in varying sizes and fixture configurations could get pricey I suppose.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,881 Posts
Hi Tango

You can find a Precision Sheet Metal shop in your area and stop by about 5 or so after the working troops have gone and talk to the owner about a sheet metal top , they have a lot of sizes to pick from might get one that is bad one side and you can get it at a friendly price.
Have worked with those kind of shops over the years and most owners are helpfull that way.

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:15 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,881 Posts
Hi Don

I will get some bakelite dominoes and give them a shot on my new 60" E powered park glider just looking for the motor etc now so i can finish up the drawings and get to cutting some wood, 20 yrs away ready to cut & sand and watch it take shape.
Thanks for the building table tip!!

Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:57 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,152 Posts
I don't have any pictures to post to show how I do it on this computer (the things you lose in a computer crash!). But, I put in the pins in the board in a slanted "X" configuration. I do NOT pin through the wood. And I do not pin the wood down so tightly that I leave dents in the wood where the pins cross over a piece that is pinned. Depending on how small a piece I'm working with, sometimes I will use a rectangular "flap" of cardboard, place it so that about 1/3 is over the stick being held, and place a pin through the cardboard about 1/3 of the way from the other end.

Remember guys, I build EZ-B's, Pennyplanes, Indoor Bostonians, and Peanut and Pistachio scale planes. Up until I built my Riser 2M, the heaviest plane I'd ever built was an 8-oz class old-style (1936 plan) Wakefield. And that was a rarity. Almost all of my planes weigh(ed) under 1 oz., some in the 3-7 GRAM range. (Anyone up for 1/32nd round wing posts? )
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:21 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Nightowl, I have worked myself silly on bunch of planes through out the years...but I can not figure out, how guys like you get anything that small to do what they do. I have never even spoke to guys like you...there is only so much frustration I can handle, I admit it. I admire the ones that can...but I quitely take an admiring look at such planes, and walk off shaking my head. The grandkids get Model Aviation magazine, see the little bitty airplanes, ask why I won't show them how to build and fly them in the Gym. I just say " I don't know how they do it !" ..."I can't seem to get within 5 oz. of what the plans call for on a 2 Meter. Those guys are worried about Grams and micrograms. They are not in the hobby to have fun...like me. That's too much work for me...I wouldn't know where to start." You and your 1/32 wing posts...are needling guys like me, but we respect the ones that can...even if we never say a word to you. Hat's off ... have fun, John
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:03 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,152 Posts
I'll tell ya, John, I think I lucked out getting into a freeflight club that had a heavy emphasis on indoor when I was really starting to get into serious modeling. (Which to me only means getting beyond the occasional Guillow's or Comet kit.)

As you might imagine, I have my library of indoor books and articles from old Flying Models magazines, etc. I was never serious enough to be really competitive indoors. I never got a 7-minute EZ-B flight, for instance, and never got a sub-gram EZ-B like Stan Chilton, who I actually got to fly with once. I did get a 7-minute Mini-Stick flight, and a 2-minute indoor Bostonian flight. I did it because I enjoyed it, and honestly, I really DO enjoy building those miniature planes.

But, I say that I lucked out, because working with anything with 3/32nds square wood or up is like working with lumber, after that. (When I built that Kansas Wakefield, I thought it was huge and weighed a ton! lol) It served to give me a skill set to work with that I've never regretted. Working with 1/16th, and 1/20th and 1/32nd square longerons and uprights and cross braces taught me, through trial and error, I'll admit, the importance of close-fitting joints. I learned to read plans and build from scratch. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:40 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Man that is a whole other world away from my best skill set. You guys have developed as alien technology all your own. Years and years of enthusiastic study mixed with practical application, condemed all along the way by the slightest trial and error. I know you love it...but man it takes years to really understand enough to even be sure you are going in the right direction. With no active group of others with knowlege and supervision to help...it just won't fly...in my view standing over here. I read all I can because it's a great interest to me, like other horrible things that make me wonder, but I can't get a Guillow's to the point it will spin a prop...Honestly. I'm on my laptop right now, in a minute I want to send you a photo from my shop...it's saved in my desktop, 25 years I've had the kits. This is what is left of about 12 I had. I see them pretty regular...I even dust them off, then put them back. See, you shouldn't even start a project, and for sure, never do it over and over if it ends the same, just because you don't know what you are doing. Yeap! I just dust them off and put them back. John
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:17 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Like looking for Waldo....only woody's

Nightowl, I'm sending you a couple of photos, tell me if you can find the little bitty woody plane kits. You have 2 minutes. What does an expert get paid to build such a thing? I bet it would be a great sum of money, and he would hate to give it up, once it was built. John
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:41 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,152 Posts
Well, the one picture is turned on it's side, but I see three SIG kits, can't tell for sure what they are, but I'm guessing one is probably the ever popular Mr. Mulligan. (I also see that Sig GLASSAIR HLG! I've seen several people looking for one of those from time to time.). I see the Comet "Build-N-Fly" kit, but again, can't tell which one it is. If memory serves me correctly, there were three in the set, each supposedly more advanced than the previous one. And in the picture turned sideways, I see one Guillow's model. Too small to read the label, but the color of that box end makes me think it's the 16-1/2-inch Stuka. (I have one on my shelf of to-do projects..lol)

The AMA had the "Build-your-own-model" rule in place for so long, that there was never a market for someone to build those for someone else. If they were serious enough to want performance from it, they knew they had to build it themselves. Beyond that, the "ARF" freeflight market was basically gliders and the occasional stick model, like the Sleek Streak. But, anyone who could appreciate anything more complex was unlikely not to also build their own.

Night
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:20 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Don

I will get some bakelite dominoes and give them a shot on my new 60" E powered park glider just looking for the motor etc now so i can finish up the drawings and get to cutting some wood, 20 yrs away ready to cut & sand and watch it take shape.
Thanks for the building table tip!!

Don
Go for it Don, you'll like the way it works. Again, new dominoes may need a little finger oil to keep glue from sticking. The dominoes have a radius on the edges of about .093" so that keeps them out of corners so you don't get much contact with glue.

Don
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:04 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Ray,

Are there any type of instructions for the Merlyn through AMA that comes with the plans? Are you supplying any mod documentation with the kit?

Cheers!
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:24 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
What about the magnetic board?
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/b04.htm

13.5" x 32" with 30 magnets for $38.50.

It's probably not long enough for many projects, but a larger sheet should be easy enough to come by. I'm curious, though, if it would hold down thicker stock. But you could put the magnets beside things to hold them in place, then add weights on top.

Tim

P.S. I just found that you can buy the magnets alone from this site.
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Last edited by 2motheus; Dec 02, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:28 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks Tim! That gives me an idea as to how and create my own. I love this forum!
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:40 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Prayers for Mr. G today . Hang in there you old coot! .
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:48 AM
Zoomitdude
Frisco, Tx
Joined May 2005
27 Posts
Don and all,
G-man had his surgery a few days ago and is up and around now, albeit a bit slowly. He may go home later today. All went well.

David
davey1 is offline Find More Posts by davey1