Ray
Sky Bench ,,, Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2010, 06:57 PM
Master Procrastinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra
We just don't get magazine covers like that any more.
I wish we could change that. I'd love to shoot "Model" covers.
Nov 01, 2010, 07:36 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Hey Fishy, I'm sorry to hear about the stone. A dude at work had one and of course he had to pee in a strainer for the doc. He showed me one that looked like a Texas grass burr. Hell, I thought they were supposed to be smooth like a pebble. Poor Sammy had tears in his eyes when he came out of the restroom...
Nov 01, 2010, 07:53 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtwisty
That Merlyn is AWESOME !!
I live in the perfect place to fly one.
Leave it to Ray to kit the cool ones . This model will keep me going for a while that's for sure. I can't wait to get my hands on the print and look at the parts. It's a lot of fun just reading and laying out the components. Nice cocktail and a couple hours to just savor the design...WHAT FUN !
Nov 01, 2010, 11:29 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Get better Fishy, your self medication of Marauder building sounds like a good perscription, but easy does it.
Nov 01, 2010, 11:31 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Leave it to Ray to kit the cool ones . This model will keep me going for a while that's for sure. I can't wait to get my hands on the print and look at the parts. It's a lot of fun just reading and laying out the components. Nice cocktail and a couple hours to just savor the design...WHAT FUN !
I must say I am jelous Don.

4 meter is the biggest thing I have ever launched and flown.
Nov 01, 2010, 11:35 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

"When I see a bloke with a Woodie, my faith in homo sapiens [Latin homo=man; sapiens=clever] is all but restored." John Hargreaves

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post13693900
You almost got that one past me, KB.
I believe the former actor would have said that
Nov 02, 2010, 04:54 AM
winds light to variable
AS - the John Hargreaves I'm quoting aint famous, gay or dead :-o
Nov 02, 2010, 09:54 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Haha!
Nov 02, 2010, 11:43 PM
Fly it all!!

I need a Merlyn

Ok im ready to order plans or kit or short kit.
LINK ME Please.
I will buy stock in covering and then buy lots of rolls!!!
Nov 03, 2010, 01:34 AM
winds light to variable

trailing-edge split airbrakes

In days of old
When woodies were bold
And ailerons weren't invented . . .

Before mini servos, oodles of channels and flat wings with flaps and ailerons, there were some clever ways of getting a rudder-elevator plane back on the ground smartly, like the pitch-up and flop.

According to a source, another was trailing-edge split airbrakes. These were located on the mainplane trailing edge and spanned from outboard of the empennage to the break in the wing. They were bottom hinged and when deployed obstructed airflow equally above and below the wing. They were also very effective when partially and differentially deployed to aid the rudder in turns.

I have attached a sketch showing basic concept in retracted and fully deployed positions.

Claimed advantages:
  • very effective
  • little or no pitch change
  • can be used incrementally
  • simple engineering

Disadvantages:
  • can impact on torsional rigidity of wing
  • vulnerable; should be snap retracted for touchdown

Any pics, drawings or comments on this configuration will be greatly appreciated. I'm seriously considering these for the Prophet 941 as I will be flying it in spots with tight landing zones. It does have a generously engineered D-box wing which should suit.
Nov 03, 2010, 08:19 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtwisty
Ok im ready to order plans or kit or short kit.
LINK ME Please.
I will buy stock in covering and then buy lots of rolls!!!
Link, as in where to buy? Right here, under RES Sport NOS...
http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html
Nov 03, 2010, 01:07 PM
Silent Wings
Thanks Ray
Your site is all I deal with now.

Fishy
I have had three of the damned things and like Don said, "Texas grass burrs."
If you look REAL close at those things each edge is like an Exacto blade. Mine each brought blood and although I am up in years my grip during a spasm would have dented a steel pole. My nurse summed it up nicely, "That's as close as a man can come to a woman's pain at childbirth...the only difference is that a woman has a beautiful baby, and the man goes home with a rock!"
Gerald
Nov 03, 2010, 09:58 PM
AMA 3959
I follow this thread all the time ,as I fly a lot of Saggitas, Gentle Ladys, Aquilas, also following the Houston Hawk thread for a fuse, but Jack made me do it! And yes I do need a bigger garage!
Al
Nov 03, 2010, 10:35 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
In days of old
When woodies were bold
And ailerons weren't invented . . .

Before mini servos, oodles of channels and flat wings with flaps and ailerons, there were some clever ways of getting a rudder-elevator plane back on the ground smartly, like the pitch-up and flop.

According to a source, another was trailing-edge split airbrakes. These were located on the mainplane trailing edge and spanned from outboard of the empennage to the break in the wing. They were bottom hinged and when deployed obstructed airflow equally above and below the wing. They were also very effective when partially and differentially deployed to aid the rudder in turns.

I have attached a sketch showing basic concept in retracted and fully deployed positions.

Claimed advantages:
  • very effective
  • little or no pitch change
  • can be used incrementally
  • simple engineering

Disadvantages:
  • can impact on torsional rigidity of wing
  • vulnerable; should be snap retracted for touchdown

Any pics, drawings or comments on this configuration will be greatly appreciated. I'm seriously considering these for the Prophet 941 as I will be flying it in spots with tight landing zones. It does have a generously engineered D-box wing which should suit.
Hi KB, the only other thing that comes directly to mind right now in the deficit department could be that you render the flap effect of the blade useless, in terms of camber changing for best flight characteristics for a given condition. Structure might add a little extra weight also. But, having never experienced using this kind of brake on an RC sailplane, I can't really comment fany urther than theoretically so I won't. I almost was going to try this method of braking by building it into the wing of a scale CS Discus i have back home, but a few guys here talked me out of it for reasons of mechanical setup and induced weight gain and I went with flaps instead. I still wonder how it would have worked out.

Should say though that normal inboard panel flaperons of the length you propose should stop your Prophet well and truly in a tight LZ, and still be a fine tunable in-flight tool with subtle camber change. Still, it's an interesting proposal and I'd be real interested to see how you decide to go about it and what you think of the performance.
Last edited by atmosteve; Nov 03, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply