Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:55 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Well Don I have to agree with the other guys here. She's looking really great there! Well worth the work and time you've put into it I'd say. I can't wait to see the report on her maiden flight. Pictures and videos are a must my man!

Gerald you escaped from the shop for a bit huh? That's great! Everyone needs a bit of a break from time to time. With the heat in your neck of the woods I'd say you're a bit more deserving than most. Glad to see you're still kickin ya old coot!

Steve... Don't forget that you can always head to this side of the pond. We'd be more than glad to put you up till you get on your feet mate! Any friend from overseas that needs to escape from such an oppressive leader can hole up in the Brewery till said leader comes back to their senses!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Steve, trusting your woodies to another means you have a helluva lot of trust in someone, but, they do no good settin around gathering dust...you're a kind sort there's no doubt. Yup, let em wear shoes and drive an automobile and look what happens next...estrogen in charge. God help you all...

Thanks Jeff, you bet, pics and video soon. I still have to do the "on wing tip" pic as soon as she's fully dressed. Really didn't want to show her half naked but I know you guys like that kind of thing .

Soar Thermals-
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:30 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post

-I keep sort of waiting for a PM from admin to say that we have put to many pictures up here on this thread (well over 1300!) and the front page but it hasn't arrived yet lol. 'Til then its all woody business I guess.
Here's to the next 1300, cheers! Thanks again for the thread Steve & posting the pics on the front page...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Lord have mercy!

Steve....Had not heard that your new PM was a Shiela. My condolances, pard. Seems that the whole world, other than here on RC Groups is going to hell in a handbasket. By the way, if admin comes in and complains about all the activity.....just start another blog.

Don.... I flat love those tips on Pokey. I also see that you took advantage of some of the tips on here about adding the side strips at the poly joint to aid in the application of your covering. Way to go. I certainly hope you plan to use a transparent covering so as to show that beautiful construction on the wangs.

Very hot and dry here. Our lake is falling rapidly and now stands at 44.4 feet of water compared to a normal of 88 feet. The Texas Panhandle draws water from it and unless we can get a frog strangler rain we will have to shut down the lake draw and shift to deep wells. Not good.....there is only so much water to be had from the Ogalalla aquifer and irrigation is really stressing the supply. But...here I am complaining, and Sean and the Gulf Coast are facing all that stinking oil spill. What a waste.

Sean...."Balsa Brain?" Mercy!

Back to work. Everyone enjoy flying and building when you can. I'm going to have to start turning down some jobs so I can get back out to the field before I forget how to fly!!!

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Jun 24, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:07 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks Mr. G, the first set of tips I didn't like so I fashioned these. Yes, it was you who told me to be sure and add those film securing strips to the poly break so I took it to heart. I also added an additional strip on the underside of one wang where I'll place a big black stripe for orientation. No transparent on this one, it'll be white with red leading edges, the tips will be black. Them ole ribs and butterfly braces will be my hidden secret weapon .

I hate to hear about your water situation. I remember you telling me two seasons ago, how dry you've been there, seems it hasn't changed. 44' of 88' is way over half of the volume when you consider the shore contouring. Get you some filters on your faucets cause when they start jackin around with supply changes and routing it may get a little weird . I'll pray for you some gully washers and if that don't work, you could move to DFW where it's a little better at least...I got 30,000 gallons in me back yard .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:18 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Well, lookie here!
My John Deere Lil' Bird done had a child!! The John Deere Lil' Bird 2 ''Weed Whacker" ....So, when I post the flight results and mention JDLB2WW you'll know what I am referring to.
No AUW as yet, and I have not stuffed the electronics either. Should be no problem. The build was straight forward, no changes from Ray's plans and recommendations. Those lightweight skins on the wing were a bitch to cover. No way to put much pressure on the Monokote with the iron because of the flex between the ribs.

Had to upstage you, Don!!!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:54 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,148 Posts
Good lookin' birds, there, Gerald.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2009
410 Posts
Now did you get permission from John Deere ... Just kidding

Great looking planes!

Joe
flyb0y is offline Find More Posts by flyb0y
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:11 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Gerald
That's the real business! Ray has gotta be proud!
Me, I reckon the thing is just to darn cute, its a real looker with the classic lines. Nice perspective on the WW next to the JD2M big sister.

And the Lord said " Weeds will need to be whacked, let there be a divine instrument for their whacking. And so it was...."
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:12 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyb0y View Post
Now did you get permission from John Deere

Joe

I reckon it would be more the other way around?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:10 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
LOL Are you saying that Gerald came BEFORE John Deere? I didn't think he was THAT old!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,148 Posts
Hey, just a word of caution to my friends, here. I know some of you in the Southern plains are experiencing the same weather. Here, the heat index is 107, with 20 m.p.h. winds. It's like standing in front of a blast furnace out there. Keep hydrated. Slather on that sunscreen. Be careful out there.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,743 Posts
Quote>I didn't think he was THAT old! <Quote

You apparently don't know him like I do...

Darth
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:24 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
Gerald,

Great stuff, that JDLB2WW is awesome. Enjoy.

Nightowl,

The pic is for you, I have a Michigan buddy that lived in the UP and became an OWL nut, so I send photos of my finds to him. Actually, they find me a lot quicker than I find them.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:46 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,148 Posts
That's a good one, Ray! Maybe my brother! lol

Thanks.
Nightowl