Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Any man with that much wood could be my dad...
That's just not right...
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:25 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Dang Mr. Mac, these LE's are hard to get right...it's hard to see! It's looking good with all angle of light and I haven't stuffed one up yet but it's taking me forever . On the tip panel I assume I need to taper down the face first then shape to foil? You and Gerald and the other guys make it seem so easy.

Newbie with the longest O3 build in history-
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Stevon...

My parents are gone and I'm up for adoption... Any man with that much wood could be my dad...
I'll be moving in with you son. We have tons of family in New Mexico, Colorado, Texas and Arizona. I'm not sure how I ended up out here in the flat lands. Oh yea, I remember....found a job here after I seperated from the Navy.
Not a bad pile of balsa for $120, eh?
Steve
Steve Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bailey
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:00 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
$120? That was a MAJOR score! Wish I could walk into a deal like that.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:42 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank52 View Post
That's just not right...
I started to comment on Schreder's post but couldn't find the right way to do it. Thanks Tank, for having the grace to do it tactfully.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:56 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Dang Mr. Mac, these LE's are hard to get right...it's hard to see! It's looking good with all angle of light and I haven't stuffed one up yet but it's taking me forever . On the tip panel I assume I need to taper down the face first then shape to foil? You and Gerald and the other guys make it seem so easy.
Don, the secret is..... Inventive license.. And a prayer before that first launch.

Its good to hear from you, I'm still a bit intrigued in this battle of wills between you and GD to have the honor of the worlds longest woodie build. You been so quiet I was about to think you both had finished and were so busy flying that you forgot to log on and tell us all about it. Maybe GD has?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I started to comment on Schreder's post but couldn't find the right way to do it. Thanks Tank, for having the grace to do it tactfully.
Well if Stevon could be Jack's dear old Dad, then perhaps I could consider him to be my Grandad.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Well if Stevon could be Jack's dear old Dad, then perhaps I could consider him to be my Grandad.
And I'll be Jack's deadbeat Brother-In-Law come over to mooch plans and ribs.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:33 PM
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
I guess that would be one way to get a soaring club going, adopt one.
Maidened the new Saggitta tonite. It seems to fly pretty good, maybe a little nose heavy with the CG at 38%. Good deal thou, I'll be glad to remove some weight. My plane is not heavy, it's perma ballasted. Flew it inverted and did a really sloppy axle roll. Also did some high speed passes, it will move out. I'd really like to try some slope flying with it. I can't help but wonder what a better airfoil would be like. Maybe that S3014.
I'll be so happy when I get my winch finished. Welded the frame up earlier today. Pulling what little hair I got left trying to stick weld 1/16 wall square tubing but I got it done....Whew!
Steve
Steve Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bailey
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:05 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
I need to build a rack for my balsa.

As it is, it's mostly in about 3 .. um... piles? One in the living room, which is most of a new shipment I got from Lonestar. Most of it is in the bedroom, under the bed (hey, nice flat, wide storage space), and some in the utility room piled on top of other kit boxes, transport boxes, etc.

After I build a rack, then I can take a picture. (Then I, too, can receive kudos and adulation for being a hoarder! )
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:37 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Are you lookin to adopt... Stevon's house seems a little crowded
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Don, the secret is..... Inventive license.. And a prayer before that first launch.

Its good to hear from you, I'm still a bit intrigued in this battle of wills between you and GD to have the honor of the worlds longest woodie build. You been so quiet I was about to think you both had finished and were so busy flying that you forgot to log on and tell us all about it. Maybe GD has?
Yeah, same old story, life gets in the way of the things that we truly desire. I would never forsake my buds and not post progress or a maiden report...sniff....that really hurts Steve...sniff sniff . I should have some time coming up to spend on the plane very directly.

Haven't heard from GD or Gerald in a while. I know Gerald is tied up big time this time of year with equipment repair. Hope they're both doing well.

Cheers
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:45 PM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
42 Posts
Hi-Starts

I have been using a hi-start from Northeast Sailplanes to launch my Oly III and have been very pleased with it. Between old(er) age and perhaps some light fingers, I'm currently without old trusty. NES is out of stock.

Any suggestions for a replacement source? I was using their "large" size with 100 feet of rubber and 450 feet of line. I'd like to fly soon and don't want to wait the 2-4 weeks for NES.

I welcome advice!

Tunabiker
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:58 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
I'm using hobby lobby's yellow rubber tubing for anything up to 4 meter... highly reccomended & fast shipping. product # HIS004
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
it"s makin me dizzy

This endless parade of low pressures movin thru are aggravating. Beautiful west wind in town after the last rain storm so shut down the studio and head 12 miles south to a killer west slope, fail, winds coming fom the east. Drive another 4.5 miles to the east facing slope fail, winds coming from the north, stop back on the way to town and check the SW slope and the winds west, sooo go back and check the west slope AGAIN, FAILDrive back to town and humm... beautiful west wind still blowing Go home and mow the lawn