I'd give him a number 2 on it!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:21 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
I finally got some air time today in Montana with the new O 3, yeeaaahh. After I cleaned the mold off ( it's been raining here for forty days and nights) I went out to my favorite west wind slope. It was blowin straight in at 15 to 17mph Great day of flying, sunning and hangin with the eagles & hawks. Flew for 3 hrs trimming out the O 3. It flies pretty dang nice but still getting use to it. I flatten the wing out on this full house ship to 2 degees inboard and about 5 degrees on the outboad panels and really like the difference from the last one I had( it had more dihedral). This plane is heavier than my last one, I flew it ballasted at 112 Oz and it was movin out pretty well Had some MOE (Man on eagle) comps and got out flown again suprise suprise but hey I'm more than a little rusty after 6 or 7months of winter and a new ride that I'm gettin use to flyin *that's my excuse and I'm wearin it out* Any way wish I had some other pilots around to share the fun with and take some photo's of the new cruiser in action but at least I didn't land in any "camel gifts"! I'll post some shots of the "endless" slope & the latest "3" waiting to tear it up...Hopefully I can bribe someone to come out tomorrow if it's good and take some air photos

Woody (flyin alone) Woody
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jun 05, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:31 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B.... View Post
That one had to be a soft landing! I couldn't stop laughing and thinking in my mind how that spot landing would be scored.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Merrill
I'm guessing it would be given a number 2?

Geeez Hoss, I posted this response before I saw yours. Apparently either great minds or sick minds think alike.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Last edited by seanpcola; Jun 05, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Stepped on Hoss' brilliant response
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:11 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,642 Posts
LOL That's two for two! Maybe it's "greatly sick minds"?
I'm so proud Sean. I did absolutely NOTHING today! It was GREAT!!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:37 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
I'm so proud Sean. I did absolutely NOTHING today! It was GREAT!!

And I'm damned proud of you Hoss! Sometimes a man just gotta not do nuttin' for a few hours.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:40 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Woody,

Awesome shots except for the lack of wildlife. We need to get something up there on that slope.

Elephants?

Large quantity of cattle with intestinal upset?
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:19 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
How about some camels for Woody's terrain, they would love it. Apparently we have more than all the UAE put together down here, trust me, we can spare them for Woody...

Woody, that really is a superb looking inland slope mate, you sure it wasn't made by people lol. Awesome pics to, wonderful to see your smacking new O3 adapted so well for the arts of slermalling, I damn well want one now for my coastal slope a stones throw up the road, but I'm giving it all away for an 18 month trip around Aus in August!

Cheers for pics.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
410 Posts
Woody,

Nice pics! love to see some of that bird flying, a little on-board video camera, we can all watch it scream by you from overhead!

Joe
flyb0y is offline Find More Posts by flyb0y
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:08 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
There's no animals on the slope cuz the wolves (thanks again Fed goverment)are eating us out of house and home around here. The antelope are still fairing ok but the elk herds are dwindling fast.
Steve: an 18 month walkabout sounds great, keep us informed whenever possible. Adventure is good for the soul...I'm about to take on one myself, South America this time. Brazilian beaches (and babes) callin my name. LOL

Woody, (Looking over his shoulder, and where he's walkin) Woody
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:04 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
FlybOy; Just noticed the PM regarding exit guides on the wing, Nothing special... 1/2" x 1/4'' balsa sanded to shape and dremeled exit hole. Hope the photo's help explain. Control linkage is just metal clevis w/ brass tubing pinched down, ground round, and drilled on the end then glued into Flap/aileron
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jun 06, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
410 Posts
Control linkage

Woody,

Thanks for the photos, I'm planning on putting flaperons on my O3, still building, so am thinking about how to build different pieces

How did you hinge the ailerons? as I'll need to do something similar for the flaperons.

Thanks

Joe
flyb0y is offline Find More Posts by flyb0y
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:40 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Flaps used monokote hinges, ailerons are hinged with CA hinges but I'm going to silicon hinges as soon as I can get some decent silicon...
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:13 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,517 Posts
Paragon wing joiner mod - driving me bonkers!

OK, got the Paragon plans out, and looking them over trying to work out modifying the wing into a 2-piece rather than a 3-piece. Simple enough, right? My problem is this: I am limited to using 3/8 od tubing for the joiner rod, since that's the width of the spar caps. Question is, what is the inside dia of 3/8 od brass tubing, and will it be stout enough for winching? The only info I have found so far is here and the specs say .014 wall thickness. It further states that any given size telescopes nicely into the next larger size. So, using 3/8 od, the next size down (which would fit inside the 3/8 od tube) would be 11/32. Problem is, 3/8 = .375 and 11/32 = .3437 If the wall thickness is .014, then multiply by 2 for inside dia, which = .028. So, .375 - .028 = .347, which is .003 larger than 11/32. I do not want 3 thousandths slop, as this will undoubtedly eventually egg out the tubing over time and cause an even looser fit. But, I don't want to have to machine a special joiner rod either, and 11/32, a common size, is going to be a tad too small. I couldn't find any specs on the K&S metals website, is .014 the standard wall thickness? Any other suggestions or ideas, or should I just forget it and stay with the 3-piece wing?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:41 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
LV,

I just miked some 3/8" K&B brass tube. I come up with 11/32 ID . I then slid a piece of 11/32 brass tubing into in and it fits like a glove. No slop. I didn't mike it to decimal measurements, just used fractional mode. There was nowhere near .003 clearance. I don't have any 11/32 drill rod for comparison but I've never had slop when using a brass tube.

Oh, and I would think a 11/32 wing joiner rod would be just fine. I've used 5/16 rod on an old school foam/obeechi wing and abused it with no problems except an occasional slightly bent rod.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:27 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
LV; why are you doubling the wall thickness of .014? there's only one wall thickness of .014 not two.
Woody, (working twice as hard to be half as good)Woody