Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Hey bot...
Are you sure that Don didn't backdoor your computer? He's one of them thar gurus you know. Mine went down last month and I have suspicions.

Sean
Hey, if you're working on the man-cave you're still working in wood. Pine, etc still qualifies. I'm jealous in what your resulting Taj Majal will be there.

Standing by for more enlightenment.....

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:33 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
Gerald,

I was going to bring up the fact that it is kinda sorta technically a "woodie" build but was afraid of repercussions from the purists.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:10 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
OK, for a little enlightenment:

Here is some shots of the "model shop" part of the building. It started life years ago as a horse (pole) barn. Total workshop area is roughly 900 square feet divided into four rooms. This room is the main model building shop which is thoroughly insulated and equiped with AC and heat, size is approx. 14' x 20'. Other room in the model section is about 6' x 20' and is for sailplane and equipment storage, computer and fridge for refreshments. It also is climate controlled. I painted everything high gloss white to supplement lighting. I went way overboard on electrical with #0/4 direct burial cable and 125A service. I kept adding outlets and circuits till I got sick of it. Back shop has 4 240v outlets in addition to the usual for my compressor and future energy wasters.

Still adding things to it. Next step for the MS is a center isle worktable, 30" x 10' that will be built absolutely flat and will stay that way. I'll show details on that, maybe with a mini build-log when I get to it.

The back half of the building (not shown) is the "dirty" shop. All sawing, sanding, painting, generally anything that generates dust will be done in there so all bench and power tools will stay in that area. I'm also going to add on another 10' x 20' room for general storage (read the junk my wife wants to keep) and lawn tools, riding mower and such. And lastly, the back of the building will have a carport at 30' x 15' to keep my RC trailer under along with work in progress when I want to stay out of the rain or sun.

Oh and yes I WILL get the privacy fence up and landscaping around it completed this year. Said for wife's benefit

My neighbor feels that I need to also keep at least a sleeping bag in there since I'm already a little over budget and may have to live in here if I don't get the kitchen remodelling back on track soon!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Sean, I believe your neighbor is a wise fellow. I want to live in your workshop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spy room in there for at least a double bed let alone a sleeping bag. Hmm, looks like some of the kitchen components DID end up in there!

- no wonder Jeff is holding off his new land aquisition

Thats a seriously nice looking workshop there. I think I can spot that OlyIII kit up on the shelf too.
The aircon will be a real blessing.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
I bought a new house with a huge back yard SPECIFICALLY so I could build a great work shop. Now I see what you have done, and well, I CAN'T TOP THAT!!!!

MOMMA!! I want a workshop like SEAN'S!!!!!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
Jeeez, Steve, you have amazing eyesight! Yep, OIII #2 is in the box on the upper shelf with a little magic marker writing on it.

Hoss, you have plenty of room to build one this size and don't need all the additional space. I have it only because it was originally built to hold a pile of hay burners.

Best way to sell this idea is to use my tricks:

"Honey, I have to get this done so I can refinish all that antique furniture you want.", or Plan B, do as I did and fill the living room and dining room up with models, boxes of parts and tools. Better half will be more than happy to oblige you to get that stuff out of sight.

Speaking of which, I don't think your (Hoss') better half was amused at all when I was at your place a couple of weeks ago. To fill everyone in I was at Hoss' old house talking to Laurie (his lady) about their new house, the colors, floorplan and such. We got on the subject of decorating. She was telling me her plans for the new pad and I said "You have got to come over and check out how I decorated our new house". Laurie (being a true Southern Belle) graciously said, she would love to, she just bet it was gorgeous, etc. I went on to explain how good it looked with all the multi-colored sailplanes lining the walls in the living and dining room, contrasting with the earth tone brown boxes adorning all available floor space. She stopped, looked at me and then that sound came...........you know, silence except for the crickets chirping in the background. She finally said "Oh jeeeeez................" and gave Hoss a look like "get this idiot out of here, and don't even think what you're thinking".
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:45 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Ho, ho

Sounds like my wife, Sean. Can't pull too much over on her either.
Those digs are beautiful! Can't tell what your flooring is but I assume that it is vinyl. Easy maintenance. As to the plugs.....I did the same thing when I built my shop, only to find that I still didn't put in enough.
Yes, your project definitely qualifies as "Woodie Work!"

Gerald
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:25 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,169 Posts
I'm drooling. I'm speechless and drooling.

That is nicer than my house!

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:30 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Sean
Quick question.....I see that you are using mag strips for some of your hand tools. Do these strips magnetize the tools themselves over time....like your screwdrivers? I have some tools that I DON'T want magnetized, but I like the convenience of the idea.
Gerald
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:00 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
Gerald,

I love those magnetic tool strips. Used them for years and even have them in the other end of the shop. I haven't noticed too much magnetizing from using them but some will occur. I like being able to place so many tools within quick reach.

Floor is a very high quality vinyl. I got lucky there. I know a flooring store owner and they had it leftover from a commercial job. They couldn't sell it, no body wanted that color in a house. I kind of like it for the shop though. There is actually two layers there, bottom one is permanent and the top layer is thrown down around the work areas cause I tend to shoot CA, epoxy and such all over the place.

Nightowl, thanks! My wife would agree with you.......she thinks it's much nicer than our house at this point too but she says it with ominous undertones.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Gerald-

I wouldn't hack my buds even if I could. You guys just need to careful if your using any peer to peer software...leaves you wide open.

Sean-

I be diggin your new cave! Lots of work space and tons of storage...nice. You have room for PRODUCTION building. Hire you some little min wage Chinese fingers to bang out some cheap kits and upsell them as ARF's .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
I bought a new house with a huge back yard SPECIFICALLY so I could build a great work shop. Now I see what you have done, and well, I CAN'T TOP THAT!!!!

MOMMA!! I want a workshop like SEAN'S!!!!!

AS the saying goes: A clean shop is a sure sign of a sick mind!

Now Hoss.... If it's true what they say then Sean has got to be one of the sickest people on the planet! Please don't follow in his footsteps! Having to have one of you committed is bad enough, if we were to loose both of you this thread would be hurting for sure!

I was ROFLMAO when I read the part on the conversation with Laurie about the decorating! It's a shame that it couldn't have been caught on video. That would have been great! This is an area where I have an advantage over the majority of you mugs. I won't have to deal with no women folk at the new digs! So if I want to hang models from the walls or ceiling I can and in mass quantities should I so desire! I'm thinking one wall for my medieval weapons collection, one for pinups, and two for models. that should cover the living room, so now I've got to figure out what to do for the rest of the place... And yes...I AM EVIL at times!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
I have a good way to keep the wimmin away from the cave:

Keep all of the keys hidden.

When that doesn't work, soak paper towels in acetone and/or polyester resin and fill the garbage can. A female will walk in, stand 2 seconds, pinch their nose and run from the place.

Don, A friend and I have been working on a plan similar to your's. My wife is the president of the local chapter of her sorority. We have a lot of parties for the members here at the house. There has been a sudden upsurge of Chinese mail-order brides joining and during conversations around the grill the subject comes up of their younger sisters wanting to come to America. They also loves to show family photos. I was caught during one of theses get-togethers discussing international adoption proceedures for 19 year old female immigrants. Geeeez, a guy tries to be charitable and extend a hand across the Pacific in the interest of multi-culturalism and he gets beat down by the woMan!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:46 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
You dog .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
You dog .
That's been in a sense neutered by it's owner.

All I can do now is run to the end of my chain and bark.