Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:40 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Way to go Steve....you beat me to it....the plane or Jack himself!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Gerald,
I wonder if the Journey has very genital stall characteristics?

Apparently our Olympic III's have them, and we know how they can ascend on a gopher's phart.

lol I just couldn't help myself, Sorry, Ray.
Just fun.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:13 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot View Post
Oh, and also. There is a beer I want to try to brew someday. Just to see what would happen, you know what I mean? Grow the HOPS myself, brew the beer............drink the beer..............see the light................LOL
I know a few guys that have done just that GD. One of the groups at this one Ren-Faire I used to work at was a "Brewers Guild" Some of them were really good at their art since they worked for one of the local micro-breweries. What you have in mind give an "interesting" flavor and a double effect to say the least. If you're serious, I could try to track one of them down and get you the recipe.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
As to the genital nature of the Journey... I believe since I saw it take a full F3B winch launch... It's genitals are no longer in question...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:45 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Psycho-pharmacology? What you growin up in them hills GD? Load that O3 up with whatever it is and point her my way. I'll be lookin skyward for orange and black in a couple days
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Mar 20, 2010, 03:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,905 Posts
So Jack,

You're saying the Journey is ....well, rather well endowed?
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
Rather well... yes...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:10 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,077 Posts
Jack seems to have so much more confidence lately, smiling more too. He's the envy at the sailplane club and the southern california umbrella girls are always "hangin" around him. Seems to achieve "longer" and higher launches as well. It all started with that "extended" tail he has...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:38 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
LE's

Well, LE strips are on and was one of the simpler more enjoyable tasks. Every addition to wings brings a whole new feel of rigidity....the LE strips really make it strong. Taping and adjusting as I went down the line produced some nice straight edges. Just to add more pix and clog up the RCG servers, here are a couple artsy fartsies and a couple LE process.

Cheers Boys...
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:34 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hey Mr. G, when you added the 1/4" strips for the MoneyKote overlap, did you put them on both sides of the poly joint ribs? Is it just 1/16" tacked on or was there some bracing under that?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
I like the Brewers kit in the background, Don.

Great pic of how you fastened your LE on while the glue is curing, quite a few folks have asked how do they go about this process, and here it is.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:10 AM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
I can answer that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Hey Mr. G, when you added the 1/4" strips for the MoneyKote overlap, did you put them on both sides of the poly joint ribs? Is it just 1/16" tacked on or was there some bracing under that?
You talking to me? Yep, both sides, although on the 1/16th bottoms you could probably get away with just one side of the joint since it is easy to get the MoneyKote to curve and stick. But, heck, being flat why bother leaving it off. On the top of the wing is where you really need all the help you can get. Covering stuff doesn't really like negative, saddle shape curvature; at least I have problems keeping the tiny wrinkles out. My top pieces were made out of triangle stock, sanded carefully to follow the wing top curve, after gluing it in.

Just my two cents worth of advice ( should raise that to a nickle and get rid of pennies )

Love the batteries for weights, are they all from dead UPS's?
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Last edited by GDbot; Mar 25, 2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Boredom, bad day at work, neglected punctuation.....
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
I like the Brewers kit in the background, Don.

Great pic of how you fastened your LE on while the glue is curing, quite a few folks have asked how do they go about this process, and here it is.
You background snoopers, I can't get away with nothin . Mr. Beer ROCKS! Makes 8 liters of some very tasty suds. It takes about a month to brew but it's worth it. I've done 2 batches already (obviously gone) and I calculated it up, I need 18 kits in constant production to keep me going .

Yeah, this is the only way I could figure it out Stever. Get'er dry fitted, schmear the glue and work into position with tape. I'll need to goop a little wood putty at the interface in some areas before sanding just due to some variances but it should be super.

Thanks GD, both sides (top and bottom) it is. I can see where this interface is gonna be a little tricky but with this in place, there won't be a lot of film overlap to worry about.

Yes, these are UPS batts that we go through at work. I use them until they start to swell a bit and then recycle them. By that time, another batch is failed and ready to bring home. Always holds true, "one man's trash is another man's treasure" .
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:45 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Hey dudes, where do you get that blue tape from. I think I've seen all you fellows use it on this thread and maybe others. Is it a paper based masking type tape?

I'm happy with masking tapes but their natural colour tends to blend in with the wood which isn't all that great when you are contour forming and saving areas that aren't to be sanded in the forming with tape, blue would be better for sheer contrast.

cheers,
steve
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:50 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
I can't advise for sure in Oz, Steve, but here, you get it in the paint section. It's a lower-tack, clean-release tape. I think Scotch (3M) actually calls their brand "painter's tape." Several companies make it. It is kind of a less-sticky masking tape, basically.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl