Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:21 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
I've probably forgotten how to fly anyway...
I hear ya Steve, I'm gonna have to bust out a simulator to revive my orientation .

Damn palms are evil stuff dude and the thorns vary with different species but they all have them. I've got some Mexican fan palms and the spines look like a croc's mouth. I was cutting them back last weekend (when I should have been flying) and got bit pretty good myself. The date palm you describe sounds like a wicked beast, hope you get to feeling better. I've heard of paratroopers gettin sliced up pretty good landing in some of those tropical thickets.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:46 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
That palm of yours looks curiously like a sawtooth shark, Don. Its a nasty looking customer as well. Seen them down here.

Yeah I'm getting better by the day, but I still can't believe that a scrape with a palm frond would put you off your feet for a whole week, I'm now the wiser. Its the new leaf shoots at the root of the miniature date palm branches that are spike like.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:40 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I know I'm not done with this Oly yet but very close and I be wantin another kit already! I think I want a big yellow and white SkyBird with aqua blue trim. I have to have a set of those wings. Every time I go to Ray's site that planform drives me crazy. I need it, I want it....I've got to have it......period .
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:57 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
I think I got 3! (THREE!) kits to do before I got close to finishing my OLY. A Yardbird 2? kit from Mountain Models, Laser Arts, because it is designed by, well, the Dark schrederman Vader himself, had to have one, that goes without saying. I got a partially built Dodgson Designs' Pivot from someone here on RCGroups because I had one once about 20 years ago that I built and took on a short extended vacation to New Zealand. (There is a story ) Sold it there like the idiot I was back then. Not the idiot I am now, completely different idiot.

I agree with you Mr. Dwells, that wing is one seductive beauty. Git it, now, quick before stupid rationality tries to assert itself. I want one too (Can't right now, unfortunately, or I would join you in a new build thread now that atmos is threatening to abandon us........only thinking about his own happiness and self realization....Just kidding Stever, you GO man, just don't have TOO much fun without us) Get a Yardbird too.(2/?) while you have the plastic out, just to help tide us all over until we can get a JOURNEY.

[This is one nasty virus, this RC Sailplane bug. I don't even WANT to try to get rid of it!)

I am into hoppy beer lately. Not happy or hippy beer. As in Hops, lots of hops. There is a lot of scientific research that went into my decision to go down the India Pale Ale road. But that is another story for another time, maybe. Right now I am going to kick back with my ale and try to come up with something entertaining and beneficial to the furtherance of Personkind to add to my blog.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:23 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Dang it GD! I'm still stuck here in the dungeon and you start talkin about exotic brewskies loaded with fragrant hops. Now I'm drooling like Povlov's dogs...dirty pool my brotha man. Yes, sexy wings indeed. I want to order now but I have to clear it with upper management (wife) by sending in a purchase requisition (pissing, crying and moaning) and getting approval. It shouldn't be long, I hope, cause procurement usually gets the go ahead on most projects (my whims) after the quarterly reports are in (checkbook is balanced) .
Last edited by dwells; Mar 19, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
You obviously need a new (Secret) piece of plastic credit card my friend.

Yep! Hops! Trivia question: What is the only plant that hops can be grafted to?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:52 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
You guys!
Why resist the urge, Don? I've had 5 of the Birds, but only 3 have survived my stupidity. Other than the JDSP they are my favorites. I have pulled the gear out of 2 (nameless) creations and refuse to fly the damned things. Can't even give them away.
So, put on your grovelin' act and order the Bird.....hell, order two, maybe Ray will cut you a deal!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Damn, now you guys have me wanting to build a BBird as well!
I've had a little bit of a Bird fix with the 2M Little Bird, but a BBird would be a fine addition in anyones loft.

Nice paint job, Don. Makes me want one too. - My next HAS to be the Baby Bowlus though, period...

LOL, note the colour of the writing in Jeff's post.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot View Post
You obviously need a new (Secret) piece of plastic credit card my friend. Looks like GDs attempt to get Don into trouble here!!!

Yep! Hops! Trivia question: What is the only plant that hops can be grafted to?
I believe that would be Garys' Hybrid Balsa, or at least one of the plants that was used to make it. The part that makes you want to go out and get some cheap sunglasses!!!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Quote>until we can get a JOURNEY.<Quote

You mean... this old thing?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:45 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
LOL, note the colour of the writing in Jeff's post.
LOL I only used it to make a point Steve. This IS a FAMILY forum after all! I figured most of you old hippies would catch my drift.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Quote>until we can get a JOURNEY.<Quote

Yes. That old thing is what I meant.

Isn't botany, and biology, and biochemistry and psycho-pharmacology interesting sometimes. And havetabuildabalsasailplaneacology 2 sometimes.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Oh, and also. There is a beer I want to try to brew someday. Just to see what would happen, you know what I mean? Grow the HOPS myself, brew the beer............drink the beer..............see the light................LOL
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:19 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
qoute" this old thing?" unqoute.

Thats no way to talk about yourself, JW.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:38 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Man, there is just something about those high-aspect sailplane wings that have made me always want to build and fly one.

Looks GOOD, Jack.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl