Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
I have to agree with Gerald, Don is a man of many hats, wish I knew a fraction of what you do about the world of software and hardware, Don.

Guys, I have been deliberating over getting into another build ever since Christmas, here's why. In the back of my mind for some time I've been dreaming about hitting the road again but this time in Australia, I'd like to spend some time traveling around it again, maybe doing a little maritime work as I go to top up the play funds and keep me in the balck. So I'm looking at 2-3 years of biking around the country.

When I was 10yo my folks took 6 months of long service leave from work and the four of us packed a camping rig and went right around the country, I guess that moment gave me the wanderlust for life! I've often wanted to see the places we didn't get to see back then and take my sweet time in doing it, while I'm still young and fit to enough to handle the physical side of things and any work i can get if and when I need it.

So, that'd mean putting a lot of things on hold and storing them for a while, including building my beloved wooden gliders. Thats a wrench, but we can't have everything good in life at the same time.

Anyway, still mulling over the plans for all this.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:57 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,237 Posts
Steve; travel is the best form of learning IMHO. I've never regreted ANY of my travels and have, like you, very fond memories of each of my "walkabouts" so I say travel while your able to and enjoy this world while you can... the woodies will always be there upon your return, and if you need someone to watch over the place while your out enjoying Aus my passport is in order.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:28 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Tell you what Steve...
If it's in your bones to do the traveling, why not? My travels have not been many, but now I have gotten so accustomed to these Texas flatlands that I feel completely out of place anywhere else. If I can't see the horizon, FORGET IT! Do your thing, mate, and create some more wonderful memories.
Keep us abreast of the plans.

Now, back to the Woodie portion...
I followed Ray's advice and ordered up the Lil Bird 2, along with the rubber for the mini hi start. I told him that I would not be doing a build here on this one as the Bird series are all pretty much the same, and have been covered....unless you do some mods.
I'm just building this one "Stock." Down the road there will be pictures and results of the partial skip over to HL/DL. Not in any big hurry on the build as I have my other beauties to tide me over. Besides, my mower and weedeater customers are starting to come out of the woodwork.
....I may have it finished by the time our good friend maidens his Oly III......
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,763 Posts
Travels... Well, I was in Albuquerque today... Clovis tomorrow... El Paso Monday and Tuesday... Clovis Wednesday... Amarillo Thursday... Lubbock Friday... A week in Denver in April... A week in Flagstaff/Sedona in June... And... that's just what I know about so far...

Glad someone wants to travel. I'm a little tired of it, myself... However... if I could go bummin' about Oz for 6 months... I'D DEFINITELY GO!!!!!

Jack
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree Jack. Australia is where I'd go on vacation if I had my druthers.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,763 Posts
So... let's all buy a ticket and go stay with Steve... for months...
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:38 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Do it dude, go and see!!! I'm green that you have the opportunity to explore. Just don't forget about us while on your journeys....
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:37 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Righto, I will!

Don't worry though, with the interweb in every nook and cranny of the world it won't be hard to keep in touch here at RCG. I've got friends that are willing to store a little of my stuff including RC gear and tools, the deal is they store and get to use my telescopes and astro gear also, which is a fair trade and they are older and responsible so I'm not to worried. I'm selling a heap of stuff and furniture all the same, and it'll be a hell of a garage sale, might have to have a few.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:52 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Why not take a little plane with you if you go? Definitely learn how to make the world's easiest and best flying paper airplane for when you find yourself near a suitable slope or cliff with the wind coming up the hill.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=12

Well my computer finally revolted against me and said I had to reformat and reinstall Windows OS. After a somewhat depressing and traumatic 6 hours, she is better than new. I may have lost some great music and a couple of photos and a few other things, maybe not. It's on the original hard drive that may not be completely dead, so I may get around to trying to plug it back in someday to retrieve the backup I made a couple weeks ago.

It has been many years since I put this machine together and loaded all the drivers and software to make it work, so it took a couple extra hours to figure out how to get it going again the way I like it to. The worst was trying to remember where and what CDs held the drivers to get back on the internet and over here to RCGroups (and everywhere else of course .) But it is good to remember that a lot of me is out there, in the web. All the accounts are still there, waiting for me to get back. All the emails, all the settings on the websites I visit. Lost some bookmarks. maybe. but I can always track them down again if it is really important. Some of my favorite songs on You Tube I linked to in a blog nearby, so that is comforting.
That is the future, we will all reside out in the cloud of the internet, and can always find ourselves again.

There was and hour or two when I was really sweating, trying to remember how to do some of this stuff from 6 or 7 years ago, but it seems to have been a really good exercise for my peabrain. A few brain circuits feel like they got some rust knocked loose and the whole things seems to be working a little better today. (Plus the relief from avoiding the fall into complete disaster.) It was quite a thrill ride that I don't really recommend to anyone.

Thanks for your advice Don, I followed it as much as possible, but there seems to have been a major disagreement between all the stuff I have loaded and unloaded over the last decade. And (fingers crossed) it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, still stable after all these hours. Look on the bright side, I now have new memory, new keyboard, new UPS, dusted inside of the case, everything jiggled and reseated. And a nice new Spring day to enjoy it all. be seeing you.....the bot
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Sounds great GD, glad to see you up and running. A dump and reinstall is no doubt a pain in the ass but they sure need it sometimes. Yup, the dreaded driver search is the worst part other than getting current with all the Miraclesoft updates. Sounds like you had good life out of that install...not bad dude.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:42 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
ROFLPSML- Miraclesoft, now there's a classic from the vault I haven't heard for years, Don, you little pearler!

Hi GD, good to hear from you mate, good eye!

Doing much the same reformat process to my last IBM pc had it running like new, almost, because the hardware then began to get the death wobbles from wear. I know what you have been through, ain't much fun eh.

How's the weather over there?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,763 Posts
The weather's still wildly mixed... I went 3 1/2 hours to fly 2 rounds with the Albuquerque club, and it was nice... until the middle of the second round. We thought it was just a strong thermal blowing through, but it was a front, and we got blown out. We voted to pack it in... and most of us went to eat... I still had fun.

Jack
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:54 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Cool and rainy here in North Texas, Steve. I be ready for some warm weather and steady 5-7mph winds. I should have gotten some stick time last Sunday, it was beautiful outside but Spring chores got me first.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:27 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Gee guys, our weather has been unpredictable too. Its cooling off a bit here but the dirty unpredictable SE wind and rain still persists, since christmas eve.

Now we have cyclone ULui reaching us by the weekend maybe, or whats left of it all going well. Just can't win a trick lately, I've probably forgotten how to fly anyway. Ever since I moved, the wind has not once been suitable to go sloping just up the road LOL!

Legs getting better, those spiny date palms pack a poisonous punch and really root your muscles around, I git punctured in four places in my left calf muscles last Saturday, one tip I pulled out was an inch and a quarter long.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:33 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Weather here has been beautiful.............except winds between 20 and 40.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola