Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
...all rum and no play, makes for a wasted building day.
Stevo, you read me like book dude . Why do think I'm 2 years in and still building. Sure is fun though .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Hey Wylie, have you flown that O3 yet? I was just strolling through the thread and saw Sean's handy work again. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall (or it's been rum erased) a maiden report on the plane.

Don
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:12 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Darn! I had forgotten all about the coyote O3, now there is a fine looking aircraft.

Thats a good point with CPU cooling and stuff, Don. I fan force mine externally sometimes in summer, can't really tell if it speeds it up via cpuz, but it makes me feel better when I've got plenty of working operations happening at once.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
I had machine one time Steve where the heatsink got a little crooked on the chip and the transfer compound was crumbly and dry. The machine acted so weird it's like, what the hell is going on? Located the problem, gooped it up with some fresh compound, seated it correctly and it worked like a champ. I also do the "blow-out" once a year on my main desktop/testbed at home. I use my leaf blower and you should see the fog that comes out of the CPU heatsink fins and the PS...yukky poo.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:35 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
I wonder if overheating is a problem on my PC? I get a crash and the "blue screen of death" occasionally and it seems to corespond to room temperature. Warmer days have it happening more often and when it gets really cold here (seldom) it doesn't happen at all. Someone said it may be my power supply but I hear the fan running and can feel it blowing. I do keep it clean and the dust blown out.

No, Wylie hasn't flown it yet.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:11 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Sean,

When I was going through Microsoft training/certification for my MCSE, they couldn't stress enough to always check the "physical layer" first. There are many connection, obviously, inside your machine. Power, various add in cards, RAM, CPU, etc. Reseating ALL component connections can make a big difference. Unloading the bus of peripheral cards one at a time and testing can rule out a card or RAM stick that may be loading down the bus. Measuring the power supply for AC ripple is simple. Just switch your DVM to VAC and check the 5 and 12, you should get almost zero AC voltage. I you see like .2 VAC, there's a bad diode and you should replace the supply. Logical issue will show up in your event viewer. Although cryptic sometimes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base can help you solve these problem that show up. Junked up registries, malware, spyware and such are most of the time impossible to deal with. A fresh load makes your machine run like new again. I know people that buy new machines when theirs gets this way and they don't want to deal with it. I take the machines off their hands for a song and have one hell of a home network thanks to their ignorance/laziness.

Cheers,

Don
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Thanks Don! I'll play with it this weekend and see what happens.

Sean
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
GoshAmighty, Don....
You're one versatile dude! Took your advice and downloaded the Wise registry cleaner. Already had one from years back but this one looks much better.

Been having building pains recently along the line of DLG, or hand launch.
I've been snooping around the sales here on the groups and have not had much luck. Got to thinking about Sky Bench so I hotfooted it over to Ray's and by dang his Mini Bird is looking better all the time....especially at $69.95.
I'm getting so damned tired of driving all the way out to our site and getting blown out. In my way of thinking, especially since I am on 50, 53, and 2.4mhz, why not just fly our very close school grounds and local parks? Some of our guys have been shot down on 72mhz and I have dumped all those freqs. I'm getting a bit too old to do the whirlin' dervish for the DLG launch, but for the time being I can at least do a half turn throw....that is, until I can get another hi start. Mine gave up the ghost years ago.
If I go this Mini Bird route I think I already have a good idea as to what my colors will be!

Contemplating,
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
So... if it's gonna be small... green and yellow... will it be the JDSM (mower)?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:56 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Hey Gerald,

Lots of good HL/DL size stuff out there. Half a turn will get a fine launch. One of my FBs has some really high end DLgs and put a hook on them. He uses a really small high start (in fact the one Ray sells) and gets all the height he needs
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So... if it's gonna be small... green and yellow... will it be the JDSM (mower)?
How about the JDSWW? Weed Whacker I think teh mower would be the 2 meter one.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:41 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Had not thought of a moniker for this one!!
Way to go Darth! The grey matter is working again out there, and I really like the JDSWW idea. (Of course, I repair outdoor equipment for extra cash, and those damned weed whackers give me more trouble than anything. I'll not be toleratin' that in the DLG/HLG!)
So, lads, on to me dreams,
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:34 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Mr. G, you can knock a small plane out in no time from what I've seen. Stay pure...you don't need no stinkin motor
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:38 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
I like the idea of the mini histart for a HL or DLG glider. Well, I haven't done any of that since i was a kid in school, and the variety and technology today behind the HLG birds I find amazing! - I'm still a DLG virgin.... but please don't tell anyone.

Gerald, that sounds like a sterling idea, I will go over to the SkyBench site for a look at Ray's Mini Bird.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:47 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Hey Guy's

If you make the plunge, make it the Lil Bird 2, 60 inch aginst 50 is a huge difference in those Texas winds .... the Lil Bird 2 can be built for spin tossing.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes