Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 05, 2010, 12:11 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Gerald,
Patches doesn't ever complain, it just gets even..
I've got almost no pressure in the hand truck tires, but i will have to doodle along pretty slow all the same I 'spose.

Speaking of good ideas becoming dangerous, Jeff, guess what i have a friend with a big bandsaw doing this week ??? Bet you can never guess.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:06 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
I had a feeling this would snowball into something wacky. I'm with Gerald, Steve, Patches may need more patches after a tow job on bouncy tires . I think a little soft suspension may be in order.

Speaking of sailplane transportation, I need something to haul Pokey around in. Dem big ass wangs ain't gonna fit in da Merc . I need a car top carrier of sorts and have been looking around but there is nothing out there that will work for the $$ I want to invest. I know, I get some roof racks, buy a canoe and put Pokey inside the canoe . Seriously, I need some roof racks and will need to build a custom container for the OlyIII, shouldn't be too tough a project .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:20 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
One of our flying friends got a new box looking vehicle. It is one of the smaller foreign jobs. He took some elastic tie downs and hooked two of them under the headliner moldings fore and aft, and they work beautifully. No problem of them sliding out during transportation.
My Oly III wings JUST fit crossways in the back seat of the pickup.
On another note, a friend from Albuquerque uses an enclosed ski carrier on top of his vehicle.

Hey! Scaflock got #3600 on the posts.....whoopee!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Feb 05, 2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Noticed a milestone
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:31 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Re-sawing old balsa surfboards down into usable model building stock perhaps?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:21 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2 View Post
Don
One of our flying friends got a new box looking vehicle. It is one of the smaller foreign jobs. He took some elastic tie downs and hooked two of them under the headliner moldings fore and aft, and they work beautifully. No problem of them sliding out during transportation.
My Oly III wings JUST fit crossways in the back seat of the pickup.
On another note, a friend from Albuquerque uses an enclosed ski carrier on top of his vehicle.

Hey! Scaflock got #3600 on the posts.....whoopee!
Gerald
Well, maybe if I lay the passenger seat all the way down the wings would fit on a diagonal but then I couldn't take a bud with me to the field. A different vehicle is out of the question right now so I'm sort of stuck with the Marquis. Plus, I like my Merc, it's got the big motor with dual exhaust and runs like a BOOH . I guess that's why the cops use these cars.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:49 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Just be CAREFULL on how much you carry Steve
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 05, 2010, 12:06 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
Tell me about it! Why do you think I still drive a '97 injected 350 Chevy pickup with dual exhaust? I have shown a lot of the young punks my rear bumper!

That overloaded truck reminds me of one I saw with the donkey up in the air.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Feb 05, 2010, 12:57 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hauling planes is one reason I haven't gotten rid of my 86 Toyota 1 ton P/U. I've got a shell on it as well as shelves that sit level with the top of the bed. I put the wings on the upper section and the fuselages ride below. I've hauled over a dozen planes and related equipment to the field that way and never had any problems with damage. Soon as I get to the new place, I'll be converting my little Harbor Freight trailer (4'X8') into a model hauler. that way I can sleep in the back of the truck if need be and have even more room for planes in the trailer. With the 3 car garage (provided I do get that place) I'll even be able to park the trailer in it to keep everything safe.

Another reason I have held onto it is the gas mileage I get with it. Now days that's an important thing to keep in mind. Besides.... They just don't make them like they used to. I just want to know what's with this Bovine Scientology of having a truck that's all cab and no bed? If people want a SUV BUY a SUV!! Leave pickups as they were meant to be, for hauling stuff.

Post #3,600 huh? Well I'm gunning for #4,000!!!!
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:43 PM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Hauling our beloved toys!!

I have a full size F250 5.0 propane powered van.
Its all custom built by me for flying and working.
I can still haul 4x8 sheets inside on the bed and cabinet tops.
I cut out inside the cabinets so I could slide a pair of OlyII wings in via back door...its cool to open the cabinet door and in the back you can see my Trans red wings all safe.

I scored two car top Thule (Two lee) for free and love them.
One of them is hinged on both sides!! They cost way too much I think...know wonder they are so nice.

Duel batterys and charge station built in.
I usually just transport them on the bed.

All Balsa Twisty
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old Feb 05, 2010, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Don, if you build your own car-topper Oly-box please share the details with us, i could do with the ideas in future. Three glider capacity?
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Re-sawing old balsa surfboards down into usable model building stock perhaps?
Thats a good idea Jeff, but no, not in this case.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Ok... Two whole days without a post to this thread? What's wrong here? Did everyone get great weather and go out flying? (Where's the flying reports?) Is everyone waiting for that order of balsa to arrive so they can keep on building? Does everyone have a case of "Super Bowl Fever"? (Since the Chargers are not playing I don't care either way )

Well if nothing else, at least this post will keep the thread from getting buried on the second or third page. (We just CAN'T allow that to happen here!)
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:29 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
I'll pitch in to bump the thread.

I thought I had the perfect solution when my wife bought me an enclosed 6 x 12 trailer. Unfortunately everyone wanted to borrow it and then when we bought the new house I used it for moving. That was OK but the last thing I moved from the old place was the wife's tanning bed and it;s still sitting inside while she decides what to do with it. Sell it I hope.

However, I have hit upon a solution: Not only will I permanently install racks and cabinets so that nothing else can be fit in it I think I'll have signs made for the sides, maybe:

Lucky's Septic Tank Service

Lu Lu's Strip Club

Wally's Biohazard Transport Service

or something much more disgusting as I think of it.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
The power of advertising

Hmmm, septic, biohazard, strip club, thats a certain target audience you are looking at there Sean, could inadvertently turn out to be a niche market in the making.

Nothing to report from here Jeff, I'm up to my @rse and elbows in moving chores and house cleaning etc, its gotta be up to scratch I'd like all my bond money back. And, the weather... bloody awful I don't see me flying before I move into the new digs on the weekend. When its all done and over I can get back to building and bullsitting again, business as usual.

Was hoping we might here from our mate GD, close to flying his new O3 but for the weather I'd be willing to guess.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:37 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well guys, as of tomorrow morning I'll be on the road for a week in Tennessee with Sharons relatives. Taking the Paragon and the Spectra with me in case the weather is good enough to do some flying. I should also have the roughs for the XC project done by the time I get back. Will also have the fishing poles so I won't be hurting for things to do while Sharon and her cousin are running around.

Checking in may be hit or miss while i"m out of town, but try to keep from burning the place down while I'm gone!!! C-YA when I get beck!