Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
OMG! If Steve follows your suggestion Don, that package should really be reeking by the time it makes it to Customs here in the states. I can just see a bunch of Customs Agents turning green around the gills when they open it up and get a really good whiff of it. Those that don't puke on the spot will be deserving of respect for haveing strong stomachs.

The inlaid plane is going to have to wait until I get moved guys. Granted I'm a fast builder when it comes to planes and such, but when I do inlay it gets to be very time consuming. But once I get moved and have the shop set up you can rest assured that I'll do one up. Even if it never sees the air it would still be a great way to show off some of my skills.

Those Awabi strips really suck for inlay in my book. They're great if you're doing the Oriental style of inlay where you bury everything under tons of lacquer, (AKA Thin shell inlay) but I prefer to cut my own shell. I've still got a dozen black MOP shells in the raw as well as a box full of Abalone. I used a water filtered vac to suck up the dust as I work. Trust me when I say you DON'T want to breathe that stuff! It will really mess you up.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:50 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
That shell inlay is a brilliant idea for a build, excluding my arranging the delivery of the manky scallop shells part.

Jeff, if only I still had my box of pawa (abalone) shells I picked up in New Zealand some years ago, I'd gladly send some your and Gerald's way if my Ex hadn't swiped them when we split. Abalone shells have the must stunning luster of all the shellfish, so far as I've seen.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:06 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
YUMM! Abolone in lemon burre blac & a glass of Chardonnay to table 4 please
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:33 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
That shell inlay is a brilliant idea for a build, excluding my arranging the delivery of the manky scallop shells part.

Jeff, if only I still had my box of pawa (abalone) shells I picked up in New Zealand some years ago, I'd gladly send some your and Gerald's way if my Ex hadn't swiped them when we split. Abalone shells have the must stunning luster of all the shellfish, so far as I've seen.

The Pawa Abalone is known for being the best looking out of all of the different types. It's getting hard to come by here but the green Ab is pretty close. When I head to San Diego to visit my dad I'll pick up a bunch of shell as well as some wood from my favorite exotic wood dealer. This guy has everything and at great prices. I can even get entire balsa logs from him

I've never tried using Scallop shell for an inlay but I have used a couple different types of clam. I'm thinking that I should grab up a couple of Conch shells before I head out west. They should be usable for inlay as well.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
just went to skybenches web site, yes I'm ordering another O3, but when I ping the oly link the only thing that shows are the oly, olyII & olyII S... whats up? Where's the O3?
I've been building this modded O3 in my head for too many nights( in my sleep) that I HAVE to make it a reality.... anyone know whats up with the site? Is my computer sick and not loading the site correctly?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:17 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Hey Woody,

I was just there. You have to scroll down about 2/3 the way and the O3 is there.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Humm.. 'gratzi' Don... I'll try again... with my glasses on this time
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
di niente
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:33 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Tail Scrap

Steve,

A long time ago we were wondering about cut out weight savings on our tail sections. I finally got a scale to measure the stuff, I held on to the pieces. It turns out that mine weighs 19.6g. I would venture that my removeable construction/hardware is at least an even trade and perhaps I'm a bit to the better side.

Cheers
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:20 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Don,
I was always wondering what your cutouts amounted to in weight, and I'm surprised by the number!

That would equate to maybe three times that weight in the nose as a counterbalance for CG, considerable addition to AUW, huh. Well worthwhile mod.

I'd forgot your tailplane was removable, those cutouts were good thinking for compensation and probably plus some.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Yeah, I was suprised by the weight as well Steve, I knew it was a chunk. I'm hoping to come in on target but if I'm a couple oz's over, I'm totally fine with it.

Looks like 2-3 days of rain/sleet around here, so they're saying. Of course it was beautiful outside for the majority of the workweek while I'm stuck in the dungeon and can't fly. It seems to be a trend for me this winter with house, cars and weather...can't fly can't fly can't fly can't fly can't fly . Have you had Oly out for a round of soaring in your heat there lately? Should be some bully thermals there right at late morning.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
That stuff is heading my way when it gets done with you Don. Why don't you see if you can send it back up north? I've had about enough of the rotten weather for now.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:54 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,022 Posts
Man!! I move to Tennessee from Cleveland so I can get some sun and brought the snow and ice with me!!

Last year at this time I was working on my Riser 100 and flew it for the first time on a cold day in March.

Now I am completing an OLYIII. Can't believe how far I have come in just a year.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:24 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Hey Jeff, this is all Gerald's fault because I asked him, last year, to build a 40,000', 800 mile long weather wall and he won't get off his duff and get started . I just looked outside and our rain has turned to ice just like they said it would...rassin frassin .

Yeah, and PP hasn't helped either by draggin his bad juju southward .
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,233 Posts
I'm on the northern end of that slop, Dwells. It's 20 degrees, winds out of the north at 15-20 and been snowing since midnight. Looks like about 4 inches so far. But I don't see it ending anytime soon, either.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl