Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:07 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Well, Miss Marsu P was a strange, unpredictable girl, whose penchant for pain I don't want revisited on me ever again.

I should have shut my trap earlier about flying today, I returned home from business in town at 11am in the rain, unforcasted steady cloud and rain. So i had to watch a dvd after lunch instead of going flying. Maybe the weekend then. If the Discus is flying well then its time to build in the release mechanism so i can visit Goodwood for a tow session with the boys, believe it or not I'm able to transport this one on the bike, wish i could do the same with the Oly and LB2 and...

I agree with Jack, mouldies are a hassle to set up. I've only done four, slopers mostly, but I get the picture with them.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:14 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Oh! just found JW's 4m Exploder thread over in F3X board, jeez I'm on the ball lately..

She looks a fine fast glass beast, Jack. You can tear the sky a new one with it fer sure.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:38 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I'd be a wus when it came to me having to watch as someone was coming at my eye with a knife! Usually I like knowing EXACTLY what they're going to do to me but in this case I'd have to pass. Don't tell me about it, knock me out and wake me when it's all over!!
I've managed to live a life relatively free of injury, but mother nature had other plans for me. Had both eyes worked on for retinopathies, had hernias fixed, and had a chunk of lung removed after a massive abscess from a fungal infection.

By the way, with the eye surgery, it's not so bad on the first one, but then you have time to think about what that anesthetic needle looks like coming at you before the second one. After the right eye, I wasn't too sure we weren't going to need some Valium before getting the left eye worked on.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:39 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Hi Steve
I lifted a big block chevy crank out of my truck one day and did a number on my back, the local bone cracker worked on me and told me to go to the drug store and get a Hydrockulator pack - Hydropack for short and they are great!! you boil it for 15 minutes and wrap it in towels and just lay on it when it cools a bit un wrap one layer and enjoy the moist heat is the thing for a sciatic pain.Its a good thing to have on hand
Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:14 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Don
yep, a crank like that will do the job! your description has me wincing in pain just reading it. Thats a good idea, the hydro pack. At nights I go to bed with a gel pack I zap in the microwave oven but it doesn't stay hot for more than 30 minutes, I think its a little to small. Is that the same thing? Well, I'm working as a driver tomorrow so at least I'll be seated most of the day, but I could do with some heated lumbar support even then, but its not going to happen.

Owl, i just don't want to imagine a syringe needle approaching my eyeball, i can't do it, yech!!!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Hi Steve
As i recall the size was about 8" by 10" or so and it is a canvas bag filled with a type of rock and they stay very hot after boiling it for 15 minutes it sure does the job, least it is a muscle and not a disc i have two friends with disc problems not good at all. Hope the pack helps , take care
Don
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Steve
I have made a plan for my new 3 m woody it will have the S 3014 wing and i'am going for a retro art deco 30s style of fuse with mahogany 1/8" ply from the nose block back to just past the TE and from there back it will have a twin boom upper & lower set up also in the mahogany going back to the tail group and will use a exposed pull - pull cable set up for both rudder & elevater. All the mahogany will be clearcoated with the wing in covered transperent ruby red with black over the sheeted parts so now i have started to draw up the fuse first and get to cutting a little wood after some time away this will be some fun!! later
Don
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:31 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Don, thats a very unique sounding fuselage rig! And beautiful sounding with the transparent effects over the mahogony and balsa.

Seeming you have a twin boom to the tail group (tapered down to the tailplane?) is it worth considering running the pull-pull cables through the two booms for aerodynamics sakes? With your wings, are you thinking of straight dihedral or polyhedral? either can work great!

Please forgive my questions Don, its an exciting thing to design your own rc aircraft.
It sounds like a good thing you decided to return to the sailplane building game Don, am looking forward to your build thread if you go ahead with one here on the RCG thermal board, you are in good company with like minded old builders.

steve
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:57 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Steve
My problem is i like the early planes and what we have now so i thought of putting the two looks together so i will have a 4 panel poly OLY style wing on a up graded 30s style fuse and make it a super lite foater. My friend Tommy Davis here in L.A. built a full size SE5A and our lunch bunch got to see the fuse build as it took shape , and he found Iean Bennie from your neck of the woods to build the fuse and line up all the wood with the flying wires i think in the end 2 complete biplanes were built Tommy found 6 or 7 Hisso V8 engines and they just scratch built the rest of the parts what a neat project that was in the 70s. So i will hark back and use a bit of those times and have some cables hanging out in the air along with the 2 booms etc just a little old and a little new and see what i can come with for a different look sailplane this should be interesting? This new bird will be " The Super La Gara 3 M "
Don
Don
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:01 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
I noticed that we are up past 150K views on this post and it has not been quite 2 years yet.
Shows that lots of woodie guys still check in to see what's new in the way of hints and kinks.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:25 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
I would have to say that this is definitely woodie central. Not much progress here lately due to my chores gettin heavy with house and car crap. Smashed a spar on a tip sheet is about it for tonight. Root canal tomorrow...I can hardly wait .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Guys, I'm a little concerned. We haven't heard from our Oly mate GD in some time. Hope things are going ok for you and your family GD, I know your weather has been rough through winter. GD was close to maidening his O3 before christmas. I miss your Woodchuck build log.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:24 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Guys, I'm a little concerned. We haven't heard from our Oly mate GD in some time. Hope things are going ok for you and your family GD, I know your weather has been rough through winter. GD was close to maidening his O3 before christmas. I miss your Woodchuck build log.
If you go to GD's profile, it says he logged on yesterday.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=218731

Hopefully, he's just being quiet and there's nothing really wrong.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:11 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Uhhhh.....Steve, did you punch the wrong key, or are you and nightowl joining forces against the deadly arfers with your avatars?
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:17 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
I reckon its a hairy virus Gerald, I'll try and restore my own pic soon as possible.