Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 25, 2009, 05:46 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Well, Christmas has come and gone in this part of our world, its now Boxing day, more food, no work and enjoying the Sydney to Hobart race on the tele this afternoon.

No toys for me this christmas, but we did get a gift that no-one could beat yesterday- it rained on and off all day, it was wonderful. Thats 3.5" of rain in the past week, the first rain in 19 weeks, yep more than 4 months of total dry. I couldn't be happier.

Heading to the LHS today for their christmas weekend specials, got to get a steel wing joiner rod for this Discus CS ARF. It actually has turned out to be anything but an ARF guys, I've whittled quite a bit of wood and had to get sticky with FG resin and wood glue to make it airworthy. Anyone who builds it as an ARF POS would be lucky if it survived one day of flying.

Sounds like the weather in other parts of the world couldn't be more opposite to here. Take care when driving, especially if you live where they drive on the wrong side of the road, then you must take extra care.

Anyone get any neat aero toys for chrissy?

cheers from steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:23 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Not here Steve. All the fat man left for me was a lump of coal. (As usual) Oh... and a longer than usual "honey-do" list. There should be a law against that kind of thing!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:29 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
I actually think Boxing Day is a tradition that we should have up here in the U.S. of A.

Steve, some times here in the desert Southwest the best gift one could ask for IS rain! I can relate, as can at least everyone from Texas to SoCal.

Happy Holidays to All! Peace On Earth
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
I got one hobby item but it is far from a woodie, I got the Blade Msr. Now I need to get a dsm2 module for my futaba 9C so that I can try it out. :/ I'll be ordering one today.

HO HO HO, happy Holidays. Oh that first part is Tigers favorite part of xmas.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:18 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I was really lucky this Christmas. Got a nice new table and a bunch of building supplies.

Now I need a woody to use it all.

And a picture of my current project. Happy Holidays all.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Sleek....Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
I was really lucky this Christmas. Got a nice new table and a bunch of building supplies.

Now I need a woody to use it all.

And a picture of my current project. Happy Holidays all.
All I want to do is put a woodie wing up on a pylon on that fuse, with a woodie tail, of course.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:46 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
more DIY wing rods

I couldn't find any 6mm hard steel joiner rod anywhere, so had to make my own from 1/4" music wire, spring steel, what fun!!

Actually it was kind of fun, its amazing what you can do with only the simplest of tools and a manic determination. After grinding the diameter down using a bench grinder with the rod turning slowly in a cordless drill i finished it off longways with wet and dry paper to a snug fit in the tubes.

Out of curiosity i then put it in the oven at 300 degrees C for two hours then dropped it into my bathtub filled with a little water. The rod's now a very different color and feels like it's got less flex, but its hard to tell if its really more tensile. Sure as heck will be better than stainless steel anyway.

The things we do...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:55 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I got one hobby item this year from my son...Eneloops for my Oly . I know how you feel about the chores Jeff, I got to spend the day after Christmas tracking down, buying and installing a new radiator in my daughters Eclipse. Busted bleeding knuckles were on my wish list .

Steve, the ARF is VERY cool looking,, I know you can't wait slope the heck out of it. Turning down the spring steel had to be tough but looks like you tooled it up just right.

Will be top sheeting today (my first crack at it) after my joint cures out. Everything lined up well as the laser shows, just a little nervous about the sheeting...it's a shot deal .

Cheers,

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:09 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
As someone who tends to fly hard at times, I really like your cross bracing Don even if the rear of the braces don't anchor to the TE sheeting, chances of flutter when you drop the nose and keep holding it down are much reduced for only a small cost in weight.

You may not be a fast builder Don, but your build work is very fine, I've no doubt your top sheeting will be perfect and you will have twist free wings. You using wood glue for the top of the Dsheeting?

Anyhows, those pics me keen to start another woody build come Easter time, OlyIIs, my new 'fly from the backyard' glider for 2010.

Rock on dude,
steve
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:54 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
You using wood glue for the top of the Dsheeting?
After much pondering and many questions posed, I'm going with epoxy along the spar and epoxy/milled glass on the ribs (for a taller convex meniscus). I think I want the working time of the slow cure.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
Hang in there hoss....looking great thus far, and don't sweat the sheeting. As long as you keep things weighed down and the TE pinned you should have no problem at all. Interesting that you want to use epoxy. Used the wood glue myself after I lightly moistened the contact points. Get after it!
The Eneloops will do you great!

Spent 8 1/4 hours coming home from Ft. Worth Saturday. It normally takes us 5 1/2. Ran in to pure ice from just outside Decatur and it was hell from there almost to Vernon, TX. So many dumbasses in the ditches and a lot of them were 4WD. The old rookie statement applied here..."Hell, man, I have four wheel drive, you wimps get outta my way!" I just honked at one who came around us like a house on fire and wound up in the ditch a mile down the road. Retribution is the key.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:28 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
After much pondering and many questions posed, I'm going with epoxy along the spar and epoxy/milled glass on the ribs (for a taller convex meniscus). I think I want the working time of the slow cure.
Well, that makes sense, it's the heaviest glue option available for your wings when they are already not really weight optimised and when much lighter glues are time proven for TD strength and performance

But, its yours to build and to live with and learn on.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:30 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
On another note though, are you thinking of using a transparent film over your cross braced rib bays, that'd look totally shweeet!!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. I haven't done it yet, still fighting with a freakin automobile...I HATE CARS!!!! . I have 6 of them and they're all pieces of . Sorry, anyways, how about epoxy along the spar and like Mr. G says, wood glue on the ribs. I just want to make sure I have good contact.

Gerald, glad you made it back in one piece, yes, ignorance on the highway is running amuck in bad weather. Hell, it's running amuck in good weather too. When you say that you moisten the contact point, do you mean like a Q-Tip and water along the ribs and lines on the sheeting then apply a meniscus of wood glue atop the moistened area?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Beautiful build dwells. Love the spooky laser pics too!

What I did that you might think about was slow epoxy on the spar first and then Gorilla (polyurethane) Glue on the ribs. Done carefully, very little Gorilla needs to be applied, but foams up into a very nice fillet. Rog the Borg has the technique down almost to a science. The working time of the G-glue is a little fast, 20 minutes or so depending on Temp and Humidity, which I think is somewhat under your control. Do it in a cold attic in winter and you have a lot of time. G-glue, I think, will also go off without additional moisture, it can pull it from the air or you can LIGHTLY mist the second part with a pass through the air that you have spritzed with a spray bottle..... Just a few cents worth of my food for thought, just do what feels right with what you have on hand when you get to that step, you will still have a great plane. (A couple of mine fly really well from the ceiling, just ask the step-grandkids! LOL)

Atmosteve, Happy New Year! We all thank you for a great thread started. I really liked your comment about simple tools and manic determination. That just about says it all right there.

Even if I never get to meet you, I know that friendship , brother and sister hood (personhood?) is what this Cool! Internet thing enables, allows, encourages and ultimately insists. Thank you my friends.

I wish a Happy New Decade to you all.