Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:26 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,582 Posts
Merry Christmas To All ...

Thanks for all the great support of Sky Bench and all the help you guys give to all the Woody builders.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:26 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Well with the holidays now here I have a feeling that everyone will be busy with friends and family. So..... I'll also send my holiday best wishes to everyone now.

I hope each and everyone of you have a great X-mas and that the new year brings you everything you need and at least a few things you want. May you all have a healthy year with lots of thermals and plenty of kits to keep you out of trouble.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:09 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
To The Best Of The Best

Ditto Jeff! Thanks guys for the good fun on this thread and for putting up with yet another year of my BS . I've learned a lot from you guys and still discover something new every day...you can't put a price tag on it. Special thanks to Mr. Hayes for providing a great foundation and to Mr. Mac for building a perfect house. You know, it's kinda like Christmas all year round being involved in model planes . I wish each and every one of you, and yours, the best that the Holidays have to offer.

Merry Christmas...

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:26 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Dang it!

It's 70 outside, the air is very unstable and the winds are manageable. Womack is in town, at the field now and probably already been riding a boomer for an hour. I'm stuck in the dungeon like usual...what a rip !
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,159 Posts
Look on the bright side, Dwells... Here's the weather report for my neck of the woods for tomorrow and Christmas...

Blizzard Watch in effect from Thursday morning through Friday morning.

The National Weather Service in Wichita has issued a Blizzard Watch… which is in effect from Thursday morning through Friday morning.

*Timing… Drizzle is expected to change over to sleet then snow after daybreak Thursday morning. The snow is expected to persist through Friday morning.

*Winds/Visibility… Powerful north winds at 30 to 40 MPH, with gusts up to 55 MPH, will develop over the area Thursday into Thursday night. These high wind speeds in combination with the snow may cause near whiteout conditions.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:27 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I hate it for you Owl, please be safe. I can tell that this day here in sunny North Texas is generating some of the best lift this year and I want some of it...oh well...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,159 Posts
Thanks, dwells. I've already been to the grocery store. I've got coffee, water, gas heat and food. So, let it snow and blow! I don't have to get out in it!

I know too well, though, especially working nights, that feeling of "Man, this would be such a great day to be outside... but I have to sleep... " As usual, I've got my lotto tickets for tonight! Maybe one of these days, I won't have to miss any good days!

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:08 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,582 Posts
From the East Coast

This photo will be going up on my web, but couldn't wait to share it with the Woody Guys. Pete will enter his beautiful, newly finished, Challenger in the 2010 AMA Nats Nostalgia event, Muncie, IN. I'll be there, I hope some of you will also join us.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:40 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Got my ticket too Owl, it's my only hope . Wouldn't it be nice to be financially set with Lotto winnings. Buy, build and fly to your hearts content...man oh man...

The Challenger is an absolute beauti Ray! It's another design that makes you do a double take. I think it's the profile of the forward fuse that really screams on this one. I'll have to have one some day.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:10 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
I think i might have mentioned that this Discus scale ARF i am throwing together over christmas would need an amount of hands on attention, and its true, its under the knife for good reason, wood work needs to be done 'fore and aft to make it even slightly airworthy.

The first pic below shows the factory wing joiner tube setup, i hope a trained design engineer didn't come up with this- but then, it is from China...

I was about to to do the usual RCG Discus mod for this glider by replacing the very thin and flexy plastic rod joiner tube with a metal one, but quickly realised that this would cure nothing at all, the tube is in no way integrated with the spar system 1/4" in front of it- genius hey.... in fact a metal tube might only improve the chance of a rip-out under load.

Seeming i would like to fly thermal, some aerotow and slope with this nice looking scaley I decided to try and integrate the tube with the spar by boxing it in alongside the spar system, whatever the heck these are, i might find out one day if it gets into a good bingle.

Tomorrow I'll cap it off and replace the 2mm top sheeting i cut back to get inside. Hopefully it will then sustain a bit of winching and high starting, and be more airworthy for the landing rigors of slope soaring.

Then again, it only cost $130 AU, so what can you expect. $1300 and you would expect not to have to do any of this. But still its a good bargain if you are a builder, they look and fly nice, although a little ordinary for thermalling...
Steve, I was reading back after being sick and missed this, how I don't know. Dude...trust no ARF! I would never have thought to rip that plane down to have a peek. You've learned from experience I can see. It looks like your mods are right on and should have been there from the beginning. I guess it was designed for the gentle sloper. It's a great looker for sure, keep us posted with pics
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Don, you on the mend? 'tis no time to be under the crud, hope you are keeping well and NOT working to hard. It would pain me also not being able to do some flying with the Darth of the north and your flying pals today- lets hope karma helps you out and turns the tide for you mate so you can get to build that Challenger some day, and go fly! You know, I'd rather build a Challenger than a Big Bird for some reason. Nice pic Ray, all the best to Pete and his new Challenger at the Nats, a fine looking nostalgia ship.

Where's our mate GD been, I recall you where having strife with the PC, GD. Any closer to having your new OlyIII tuned up for a hand throw?

Not much to report lately from here, being christmas and things. Hope to get a fly in for Mr B's postal challenge shortly, that'll be the next flying mission.

take care,
steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
The Finest of Season's Greetings,
and for those celebrating Gregorian Christmas:
Merry Christmas.
Belated Happy Chanukah
which ended a sunset today.
Peace to all
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Last edited by Aphorism's Dream; Dec 23, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 08:59 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks Steve, yes, on the mend. Went from a sinus infection to bronchitis and then progressed into pneumonia. I still have 6 days of pills to swallow but much better now . I'll hopefully get my wings sheeted over the holidays so I can start to wrap up some loose ends on this build and get it covered up. I'm with you, my next outing will be the New Years Day challenge, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise . Eggnog is good for the soul but does tend to hinder small projects . Merry Christmas dude!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Sorry to hear you're under the weather Don.

Merry Christmas to all and gentlemen, let's get some wood built in 2010!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Ho ho ho, Merry..Uhny Uftz