Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Ultimate Computer Security

Well, I've been unplugging my Ethernet drop every night. I believe to get in, you're going to have to figure out how to get it to arc about 3".

If we get to fly in Ft. Worth on the 23rd, I'll be watching you, Don... That snatch his booty thang sure got my attention...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:53 AM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
We will train a rat to install a bluetooth network device into a unused USB port. Of course it will be so small it would likely be days before you notice. Don't bother to turn off the computer either. The rat is trained to make sure it is turned on.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
No worries Jack, I'm usually down the field a little way with my Hi-Start away from the winch. You should be able to keep an eye on me...just lock your car doors .

Edit; Just realized that the 23rd is a Wednesday. I hope the weather is good for ya'll to fly, I'll be stuck at work .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Dec 16, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
However, if you have an I-beam or box spar where the spar caps extend to one or both sides of the shear web(s), the problem is carrying the loads across the width of the caps to the shear webs. In that case it's better to orient the rings the other way.
Okay. I understand what you're talking about, now. At the risk of getting into a firefight, I don't think we look at shear webs the same way.

When I'm cutting wood, I look for the grain to run in the direction I want the most strength and flexibility. For the spars, that is lengthwise. Usually if I have a piece that is so fine-grained as to be obviously C-grained on strip wood, I wouldn't use that for spars or longerons. The problem with C-grain wood is that it's less flexible and more prone to break instead of bending. Whether it has shear webs or not, I want the strength of the spar to run along it's length. I don't look at it like the shear web is there to carry any weight for the spar. It's there to keep the "rectangular box" formed by the sides of the ribs and the upper and lower spars a box shape; it resists compression of the upper and lower spars toward each other. When you have two things that are equal in length and try to bend them at the same time, one has to bend in a larger diameter than the other. This means that when you stress the wing, the spars want to pull unevenly between the top and bottom of the ribs and try to make them lay over flat. A shear web makes more contact points between the upper and lower spars, more points that make them stay the same distance from each other, despite the unequal compression/tension loads. So the shear web is best resisting compression between those two, and should run with the grain vertical between them. But I don't consider it's function except in the context of keeping the spars apart, thus making the construct "stiffer." I don't consider trying to transfer any of the spar load to the shear web in the way it seems to me you're talking about.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Well, crud... about 2 hours I'll never get back... So what have you guys been up to? We just start talkin' about someone hackin' my confuser, and my Cad program goes down... lost the .exe file to boot it up.

Actually I just loaded a new Norton version and I believe it got eaten... back up now and no work lost... whew!

JW
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:42 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
I hate confuser problems. They were kind of fun, about 15 years ago when I was first figuring them out. Now I just want total reliability and stability. The other day, my computer just dies and reboots spontaneously. WTH! Keyboard error or no keyboard present, it says, can't load OS. Luckily for me, the plug had just slowly wormed its way out over the last 4 years and the confuser just died when it couldn't see a keyboard, even though I wasn't doing anything with it at the moment.

I have had to completely reformat hard drives and reload all the programs that I love, find all the bookmarks I lost. Two days to get back up then, but since I am now totally addicted to the Internet, I have no choice. Now I have a back up computer or two just in case the main one goes down. Time for a new one too. Oh well, that's modern life for you.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:50 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
If it wasn't for email and RCG I would be happy to never see one of these things again. I used to be a bit of a computer geek in the 90's (business) but when I got out of that I just let it all go. Now, if I have a problem I just suck my thumb and whine till my wife comes in and fixes it.

I will say that I love chatting with you guys and reading about models. It sure helps pass the time on these long winter nights while I wait to finish my shop. I am totally lost right now without a cave. Here in the home office I have three kits, a couple of chargers and miscellaneous servos, receivers and hardware spread all around to keep me in my comfort zone.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,655 Posts
Sean? You realize you're gonna have to run an internet cable or a network router out to the shop don't you? That way you won't have to go all the way in the house, up the stairs, petting the dog and kissing the wife (or vise versa) on the way to the computer just to re-check that build thread for hints about your next super duper flying machine. Sneak a laptop out to the shop and you're set! As long as you remembered to stock the mini fridge!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Now now Hoss, you know full well that I will have both my PC and the fridge running at 100% capacity in the shop. I don't mind petting the wife and kissng the.........wait, I mean...........
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
I resisted this dadburn drawing program at first, and now I'm addicted to it... and laser cutting... I just wish I had a plotter and a laser cutter here at the house. Both are rather expensive... For now, I'll have to be satisfied with taping pieces of plans together, and plotting ribs and using a #11 if I make changes...
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:01 AM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
All Woodie

Crazy wood carving antics.
Im back on the slope PSS P51!!!!

Chris
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:28 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
It does have wood in it

I'm ashamed to say I'm currently tooling with sorting out an ARF scale glider, is all to report here from down yonder, that and ignoring some other model repairs, as usual..

Look on the bright side Sean, at least with a wireless router in your new BlokeBarn complex you won't have JW's dilemma of keeping an eye on all the cyber pilferers of the world wanting to get their sticky little fingers on your latest build project or creation, security sorted..... you got a guard dog?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:48 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Bloke barn. I love it! Think I'll make a sign for the shop with that and a cool logo.

Oh yeah, I have the guard dog situation under control.........Jack, 18 pounds of Miniature Schnauzer dynamite. At the first inkling of danger he springs into action, either diving bravely under a bed or cowering and shaking in a dark corner.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Bloke barn. I love it! Think I'll make a sign for the shop with that and a cool logo.

Oh yeah, I have the guard dog situation under control.........Jack, 18 pounds of Miniature Schnauzer dynamite. At the first inkling of danger he springs into action, either diving bravely under a bed or cowering and shaking in a dark corner.
Oh, he's a tail pointer!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:29 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
Oh, he's a tail pointer!
Well, his effectiveness is somewhat hampered due to the breeder having cut off his tail. He's now more of an a$$ pointer.