Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
All yours Steve, come on up. I can tell you this, that water'll cool you down pretty quick right now....hamster nads for sure .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:20 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Hack Jack and jack his stash .
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
Goldberg Zipper

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Give the man with the ultimate woodie site a cigar! Got it Ray!

Now you can sleep tonight without one of those 1:30 AM flashes.

No Don, I didn't get involved in the building of this one. Only the final RC and EP setup. It was built by a local gentleman with a loooong history of modeling accomplishments. I am thinking about building something FF era in the near future though. I would love to tackle a Valkerie at some point. I'll see if I can find some details of that one. I saw one two years ago and have to say that it is one of the most beautiful models I have ever seen in my life.

Edit: Well, I'll be darned (or probably worse), here's a link to a build thread of one here on RCG!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676390

Absolutely amazing.

I want you all to look closely at the wing structure. Be prepared to bow down and prostrate yourself in front of anyone that has ever succesfully built one of these. Talk about a woodie project. I would almost hate to cover all that gorgeous balsa...........almost.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Last edited by seanpcola; Dec 15, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added link to Valkyrie build.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:09 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Wow! That's very intricate and one heck of a job, lotta hours there for sure. Looks kinda heavy though? I see that and think main spar, solid ribs and sheet over it. You can see the density in the cross members increase up closer to the joiner area in the wings...amazing is right!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Wow! That's very intricate and one heck of a job, lotta hours there for sure. Looks kinda heavy though? I see that and think main spar, solid ribs and sheet over it. You can see the density in the cross members increase up closer to the joiner area in the wings...amazing is right!
Agreed Don, I'm sure that the basic airframe outline could be reproduced with a more up to date layout but I kind of compare this to building a street rod: Sure, if you wanna go fast you can buy a new Vette, but you won't have the cool lines of a Deuce Roadster or a '29 Highboy.

The one I saw up close and personal was done in transparent yellow covering. All of the sticks were displayed for all to see. "Stunning" is totally inadequate to describe that model.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Hack Jack and jack his stash .
Let's do it. Between the smack we can fabricate and disseminate to his wife with the boney fists and your computer skills I think we can do a really impressive hit and run on Darth!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Food for thought

http://www.wdv.com/Writings/StrongestWood/index.htm

Then follow the link to here;

http://www.wdv.com/Writings/Stronges...eeStrength.xls

Theoretically you can use any wood as long as you reduce the size to the appropriate dimension, etc.

I also have a question, or two.....

Which way should the grain lines be pointing if you buy yourself a piece of Spruce from here;

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/spruce.html

to cut up into your own spar stock on a table saw?

I bought myself a chunk for about ten bucks so I could cut some spars for a couple years. I think I have two or three years worth. Should the grain run spanwise or vertically? And, I can straighten out the grain direction and run out on the table saw, but how much effort should I put into this effort?
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
This link too:

http://www.hainesengineering.com/rhaines/sitka.htm
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Grain is span wise. Runout should be no more that 12:1.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:30 AM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
OOPS! I should have said growth rings, up/down or front to back. I can cut spars out for the rings to run either way. Is one better than the other?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:39 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
GD, you may have to draw me a picture of what you're talking about. I thought the spars should be a long run of straight wood running in the one direction they won't cut across any growth rings (i.e., "up and down" as you look at the tree, and cut from a section between growth rings if possible).

I'm just not sure what you're talking about, here.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:42 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,074 Posts
There are fibers in a tree that run outward from the center like the spokes of a wheel, perpendicular to the rings. These are what make the "speckles" in C-grain wood, and give wood that's cut that way a little more strength and stiffness in that direction. Since on most spars you're in need of more shear strength in the vertical direction, this means that the wood should be cut with the rings horizontal, parallel to the chord.

However, if you have an I-beam or box spar where the spar caps extend to one or both sides of the shear web(s), the problem is carrying the loads across the width of the caps to the shear webs. In that case it's better to orient the rings the other way.

In other words, whatever direction you want to have the most shear strength, make the rings perpendicular to that direction.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:49 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Let's do it. Between the smack we can fabricate and disseminate to his wife with the boney fists and your computer skills I think we can do a really impressive hit and run on Darth!
I've already pinged Jack and unfortunately he's safe and secure, I can't find any holes. I'll shoot him some worms posed as sailplane design programs and then we can snatch his bootie .
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:57 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
snatch his bootie .
That oughta wake him up............
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:05 AM