View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
We could have used a few of those this sunday.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
That #3 picture looks like the background sky is ready to dump some serious stuff on ya'
Brrrr
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:44 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Tell you what Steve-O
Mighty nice of you to take the time to piece that picture display of the group's efforts back in May.
I enjoy looking back on them. Thank You!
It still hurts to see Patches lying there in the grass....broken...so forlorn.
But, like the Phoenix, she rose to fly again!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
Well, for giggles and grins I picked this elevator and rudder up at a swap meet over the weekend. It is from a FF model, has a Montreal Model club sticker on it and is very well constructed. Covered with tissue. Had to come off a big plane as the span of the elevator is 29"!!! Any old FF flight guys out there?

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:44 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Al,

Good catch. I would have bought it in your shoes. You need to figure out what it is for and reverse engineer the rest of the bird!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Old free-flighters never die... we just smell dead...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Speak for yourse........ (sniff sniff) ahhhh, carry on gentlemen.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:55 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Well, for giggles and grins I picked this elevator and rudder up at a swap meet over the weekend. It is from a FF model, has a Montreal Model club sticker on it and is very well constructed. Covered with tissue. Had to come off a big plane as the span of the elevator is 29"!!! Any old FF flight guys out there?

Al

I deeply resent the implication that one must be "old" to be a freeflight flyer!

Having said that, there are just too many possibilities and too many I'm unfamiliar with for me to narrow it down. Most plans don't have the H-stab span marked on them. "Probably" off a big gassie, 750-900 s.q. inch area. It looks a lot like a Foote Westerner tail group (The Westerner vertical stab "looks" small to me in comparison to a lot of other designs). But I wouldn't bet money on it. I know it's not a Civvy Boy, but that was the best picture I found of the general 'design era.' A 29-inch H-stab wouldn't be unusual for a Class C gassie.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:26 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Hey Owl,

Just out of curiosity, have you ever lost a FF model by being sucked away by a boomer thermal? It seems to me, without control, this could happen from time to time.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
I deeply resent the implication that one must be "old" to be a freeflight flyer!

From my recollection, even the young ones smell bad...

When I was 15, I had been flying a Dove Nordic A-2 for about a year and a half. I was in a fly off for a win at Wichita Falls. I launched into a thermal and we began a leisurely chase, because there was no wind to speak of. The thermal intensified and it got small. The DT timer did it's thing at 5 minutes, but it went on up, out of sight. We continued to search until sundown, but never saw it again.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:39 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
Believe it or not, Don, at my first outdoor contest, back around '94 or '95, a Hot Box P-30 plane went OOS on me on a test flight. I launched right into a thermal on a hot July afternoon (luck, not skill), and we lost sight of it after about 20 minutes probably over 2000 feet up and drifting ever so slowly to the north. As it was just a "test flight," I think I'd only put 700 winds in the 10-gram rubber motor and, of course, did not light the DT fuse. It didn't even have a folding prop, as P-30 is restricted to an unmodified 9-1/2-inch plastic prop.

The best part of the story is that some farmer about 2 miles from the airport where we were flying found it in his field. He knew it must have come from the little airport there (The contest was in Ottawa, Kansas), and he took it over there. Someone at the airport knew we had been flying there the previous weekend, and called the club president, whom he knew personally, who stopped by and picked it up and brought it back to me. I never was sure why no one called me, as all my AMA ident info was on the plane; number, phone number, offer for a small reward, etc. But, I lost the plane on Saturday afternoon, and got it back on Wednesday.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
NO, someone in the FF section mentioned a Foote design as well. Actually I was admiring the tailfeathers and the guy gave it to me for free. i am going to see what I can find on the foote design. Just thought you guys might like it as it is wood and well crafted.
Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:19 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Great story Owl with a happy ending . Pardon my ignorance, but what is the DT that you and Jack mentioned?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Dethermalizer... Kicks the stab up to about 60 degrees and the model enters a deep, controlled stall. It comes down like a parachute.

Jack
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:01 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
I'll be darned! I love this forum, you learn something new every day .